Why become a member? ×

Next project..hmmm..?

Bridgehouse

10 hours ago, discreet said:

You could set that up using tbree split P Bass pickups, presumably.

Or three Franken-Tele dual coil Herrick pickups with Strat 5-position selector in a TV white Telecasters guitar shaped body and 30ins short scale maple neck. 

NOW THAT IS AN ODD COMBO! 😂

Edited by JohnDaBass
Spelling mistakes

What about headless with the movable pickups under the body face so all you see is the bridge? The body face would need routing out to a thin enough depth that the pickups would work, but that would allow the neck and fingerboard to be lower adding to the athestic. :)

Just now, TPJ said:

What about headless with the movable pickups under the body face so all you see is the bridge? The body face would need routing out to a thin enough depth that the pickups would work, but that would allow the neck and fingerboard to be lower adding to the athestic. :)

You are somewhat presupposing my talent level here :)

1 minute ago, discreet said:

You could have pickups under a guard though, that would be easier.

Thats interesting - I could do fixed pickups under a guard for a clean look - not sure about moving though.. would need a lever mechanism..

3 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Thats interesting - I could do fixed pickups under a guard for a clean look - not sure about moving though.. would need a lever mechanism..

Just have three split P pickups with various switching options. A sliding pickup is going to be more trouble than it's worth, imho. Though it would have novelty value... :)

Just have three split P pickups with various switching options. A sliding pickup is going to be more trouble than it's worth, imho. Though it would have novelty value... :)

So a generic body shape - swimming pool rout - 3x P pickups and about 34 switches, and a pick guard on top to hide the evils..?

2 minutes ago, discreet said:

Why not? It could be matte black all round too, for total stealth...

"See how he confuses his audience with that vast array of bass tone choice.. a few quick flicks and you can see them blown away by the slight increase in midrange definition"

6 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

"See how he confuses his audience with that vast array of bass tone choice.. a few quick flicks and you can see them blown away by the slight increase in midrange definition"

Yes, and if you have no stage lighting in a darkened room and are wearing black, they won't even tell where all the radical bass tones are coming from!!

OR, you could just play a standard P Bass (proven over 60-odd years as the best all-rounder there is) and stop spending your money on basses that sound only slightly different  from each other to non-bass players. :lol:

Yes, and if you have no stage lighting in a darkened room and are wearing black, they won't even tell where all the radical bass tones are coming from!!

OR, you could just play a standard P Bass (proven over 60-odd years as the best all-rounder there is) and stop spending your money on basses that sound only slightly different  from each other to non-bass players. :lol:

Spoilsport.

• Haha 1

I think it's a great idea :)

For me, it would have to be a single pickup capable of moving from the Stingray position all the way up to the Jazz neck position, just to be able to see once and for all if there is a sweet spot or spots without the distraction of the other factors involved in most other such comparisons.

Very tempted to do a sister build...

22 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I think it's a great idea :)

For me, it would have to be a single pickup capable of moving from the Stingray position all the way up to the Jazz neck position, just to be able to see once and for all if there is a sweet spot or spots without the distraction of the other factors involved in most other such comparisons.

Very tempted to do a sister build...

I actually don’t know where to start with it ;)

I need to think of a simple mechanism that will allow me to get a body and neck built so it can accommodate it - but I’ve not got that far yet!

On 25/07/2018 at 17:11, naxos10 said:

Make your own Rikenfaker but one that sounds good:D.

I thin k it should be a Rickenfaker, 4003 shape but with a hollow body.  Nice big slash ‘f’ hole like the 360. Try a piezo pickup bridge like the Fishman to give it an alternative sound to what e er magnetic pickup grabs your fancy!

Double/triple neck with SimS pick ups - headless with chambered body. Probably won't see another but at the same time it will be unlikely to ever be your favourite.

You need to balance what can be done against what will be usable and playable. Something like my Psilos bass.