Why become a member? ×

Next project..hmmm..?

Bridgehouse

Now that the 51P Semi Hollow is finished I’m moving on to thinking about the next project.

I want to avoid a P or a J or a PJ.. 

I’d like to do something wacky and different like the frankenhollowcaster

What do you think I should consider?

5 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

I did have a conversation with someone about the prospect of a partscaster with a moveable pickup........

A La the Gibson Grabber? Could be very interesting, but the fact that there aren't more of them about makes me wonder if the juice is worth the squeeze... what about just one carefully-placed 8-pole pickup with a multi-option preamp/parallel switching, et al?

+1 for a moveable pickup. I prefer the simplicity of single pickup basses but would like to be able to tweak the position to taste depending on musical circumstances. Would love to see your take on that. Something with a tonal range from HB series/parallel/SC split and positional range from Ric neck to 70s Jazz bridge would cover it!

Edited by ikay

Just now, ikay said:

+1 for a moveable pickup. I prefer the simplicity of single pickup basses but would like to be able to tweak the position to taste depending on musical circumstances. Would love to see your take on that.

If there was a way to do it simply, then I’d like to try that - make it repeatable and accessible as a partscaster solution..

6 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

And re multi pole - I could get a custom wind done.. but where would you carefully place it? 

I'd probably use the Herrick 8-Pole and place it somewhere between the traditional P position and the, er... traditional Ray position.

• Like 1

Apart from the Grabber and Westone Rail, other concepts I've come across in my google meanderings (I've been interested in this for some time) include a 'swinging arm' pickup, single slider (guitar) and even one pickup with slide-able pole pieces (Lieber EQ-4 - https://www.lieberguitars.com/history/)

1666932101_swingingpickup.jpg.782d843a0297058d379d879e913fa136.jpg

ramp2_600.jpg.3e557fcc02a04d44e3abeadc3455493f.jpg

740528957_LieberGuitarsEQ4pickup.jpg.f9240e8bd4d51e6384880ce789e149c3.jpg

Edited by ikay

49 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Not sure it meets the “simple” brief tho... 😂

2 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

I want to avoid a P or a J or a PJ...

I’d like to do something wacky and different...

No P or J or PJ? Wacky, different AND simple..? :) Er... Wishbass?

Edited by discreet

1 minute ago, discreet said:

Yeah yeah... I know... I know.... 

By simple, I mean not requiring nasa-level mechanical fabrication. 

I may do a ‘bucker build and then see if I can get an odd unique neck pickup made to go with it

• Like 1

Here's another take on it from Schorr Guitars with a floating pickup on side rails. Rather 'individual' on the aesthetic front! Ultra low profile pickups such as Lace that can freely move around between body and strings might be a bit easier to work with.

1853080957_SchorrGuitarsOwl.jpg.78cc436514a81777b9aceb66b226db65.jpg

30 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Three? Think big ;)

I suppose it's down to how much difference you think it's really going to make. Obviously pick up placement is crucial to tone (one of the few things that is, imho), but do you really need to cover the entire area between the neck and the bridge? There are penalties to be paid in complexity, weight and cost.

I've found over the years that simpler is better. Any increase in the number of pickups, electrical complexity or preamp options (including outboard FX) just serves to distract me from the business of actually playing. YMMV. :)

Any bass or amp I've owned that features lots of sound sculpting options tend to end up set and forget, so little point in me having the options in the first place.

Edited by discreet