Why become a member? ×

NCD: RCF Art 735

r16ktx

Convinced by the "Interesting FRFR story" thread I got myself an RCF Art 735.

It replaces my previous pa cabs, a Yamaha DBR10 - bought as I groped my way down the pa route, cos Rock&roll has been dead to me for a while now...

and supplemented  by a DXS12 - bought because I wasn't sure the BDR10 would be loud enough...

NCD.thumb.jpg.77db0650c133c32442c6532f09a3755f.jpg

• Cat Burrito changed the title to NCD: RCF Art 735
18 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

I sometimes wonder what I started with that FrFr thread!!!

Nice cab ;)

A revoltion. You started a revolution. (But you did err "kill rock n' roll" ha ha) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bridgehouse said:

Not sure I like the moniker of I killed Rock and Roll, but, hey, I'll take what I can :)

heh heh, I was just quoting what someone else said on the thread about not using big heavy old stacks that I think made me chuckle several times. Bassists will thank you the world over.. Chiropractors will have to look elsewhere for clients :) 

1 hour ago, dood said:

heh heh, I was just quoting what someone else said on the thread about not using big heavy old stacks that I think made me chuckle several times. Bassists will thank you the world over.. Chiropractors will have to look elsewhere for clients :) 

To be honest, if rock n roll relies totally on massive cabs for survival then it’s dead.

As would be my back... 

On 04/07/2018 at 10:49, funky8884 said:

On 04/07/2018 at 10:49, funky8884 said:

Hi, how does it sound and what pre are you using ?

thanks 

A Zoom b3n is the only thing between bass and cab. I use two main sounds that both use the SVT amp model (AMPG SVT),

The 'lighter' sound follows the amp with the SVT 4x10 with tweeter cab model (SVT4x10TW), the 'heavier' sound precedes the amp with a Darkglass model (Dark OD - from memory the b3k), but no cab emulation

I hope all that made some kind of sense :) 

7 hours ago, CameronJ said:

Thoughts so far, @r16ktx?

As I still have my previous setup, Yamaha DBR10 top &  DXS12 sub, I set both up and A/B'd them. There is just no comparison. I was listening from about 5m and I very much doubt I broke 100db so I don't know how valid this would be at real volume.

I was expecting that the Yamaha sub sound quality would at least keep up at that level, but the RCF was just so much better - how to describe it without getting all it had a plush bouquet with plummy overtones... it certainly more heft though! 🙂

I was also expecting that the sound quality from the top would not keep up, though I was surprised at how far behind it was. The RCF was, um, okay; articulate and polished - not that I've had a lot of experience so it might be

that I should have been surprised at how inarticulate the dbr was. I was using a Tannoy Precision 8D as my practice 'cab' as I found the DBR was actually quite harsh. Unfortunately it heard the RCF, got the hump and died on me.

All in all very pleased with the RCF. Especially with swapping 2 cabs totalling 44kg with one weighing 22kg

21 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

I sometimes wonder what I started with that FrFr thread!!!

Nice cab ;)

Thanks, though you could have started the thread 4 months earlier and saved me springing for the DXS12! 😉 

Edited by r16ktx
I can't quote properly :(
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

We used to whack a full band through a pair of these, I think pretty much anybody would love using one as a bass amp. Just big, clean power.

I feel like my aversion to the looks of the ART 7 models is being won over by the responses of how well they perform! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dood said:

I feel like my aversion to the looks of the ART 7 models is being won over by the responses of how well they perform! 

+1^^

The RCF 735A does seem to be regularly coming out "tops" from comments being made by BC's FRFR aficionados and experts, in terms of suitability for bass use.

I'd love to hear how the RCF 735A compares to a decent bass amp and cab - has anyone A/B'd and recorded how their bass sounds through a RCF 735A vs their current bass rig? There doesn't seem to be much, if anything(?), on YouTube of the 735A being used by bassists, let alone any A/B comparisons with dedicated bass rigs?

56 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

+1^^

The RCF 735A does seem to be regularly coming out "tops" from comments being made by BC's FRFR aficionados and experts, in terms of suitability for bass use.

I'd love to hear how the RCF 735A compares to a decent bass amp and cab - has anyone A/B'd and recorded how their bass sounds through a RCF 735A vs their current bass rig? There doesn't seem to be much, if anything(?), on YouTube of the 735A being used by bassists, let alone any A/B comparisons with dedicated bass rigs?

I would be more than happy for someone to send me one, or of course the 745 model.. They might not get it back though!

11 hours ago, dood said:

I would be more than happy for someone to send me one, or of course the 745 model.. They might not get it back though!

Yes indeed the 745A is their top of the range 7-series model and at 19.8kg (44lbs) is actually a couple of kgs lighter than the 735A, but is 50% more expensive. So that is quite a trade-off!

But I've found NO decent reviews of either on YouTube in terms of hearing what a bass sounds like through them...

Edited by Al Krow

Go and watch a band using them as PA without subs and listen to how good the bass sounds, there's your answer. Honestly they're probably total overkill to use as a bass monitor and for me at least they're a bit bulky to use as a wedge - I get stuck behind keyboard players a lot and being able to position a smaller cab is beneficial.

Edited by lemmywinks

11 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Yes indeed the 745A is their top of the range 7-series model and at 19.8kg (44lbs) is actually a couple of kgs lighter than the 735A, but is 50% more expensive. So that is quite a trade-off!

But I've found NO decent reviews of either on YouTube in terms of hearing what a bass sounds like through them...

That was my computation also when deciding which to get. The 2kg weight saving was attractive but;

1db louder and 12% lighter wasn't worth the extra £300. There are almost certainly more factors than this for a knowledgeable PA bod, but that's not me 

Living in a three floor house with my music room at the top I've always practiced through active near field monitors, and that has skewed me in favour of active FRFR from the start.

One other thing I will add is at my usual practice level of around 80-85db with the RCF 1m away I can distinctly feel the bass through the floor, I didn't ever the Yamaha sub do that from the exact same player and cab positions!

I have no idea why that should be unless it's something to do with the weight of a 15" driver moving around compared to a 12", though I doubt it.