Why become a member? ×

Do Bassists always get slagged off

arabassist

[quote name='Pissman' post='340189' date='Nov 29 2008, 12:38 AM']I agree with the man strings argument. Grr. :)

Plus, theres about ten thousand guitarists in every city. About five bassists :huh:[/quote]

{start double entendre laden post}You realise that one of those days that your gonna get your man string snagged in your man strings if you keep playing with yourself like you are in your avatar? {end double entendre laden post}

I used to get the 'you're only the bass player' comments when I was first starting out. These days the musicians I play with are all experienced enough to understand and respect everybodys role in the band.

Edited by spike

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='339015' date='Nov 27 2008, 10:40 PM']Fortunately I don't play with any guitarists with those attitudes.

But if I did, I'd just say 'Here, you try' and hand them the fretless.[/quote]

Careful - I did that once and the little sh*t played it better than me :)

To be serious

I've never really found this to be a problem with musicians BUT I find it often with punters and partic with wannabe's. The average punter hasn't a clue what the difference is other than the other guy takes the solos and we don't.

Similar thing - I sing about 40% of our sets , the guitarist about 60%. He's refered to amongst the punters as the guitarist in Dr Ble and I'm talked about as the singer. Interesting.

I play in a punk trio in which we have a pretty exuberant singer/guitarist front man, a drummer and me. At our last gig the p*ssed promoter came up to me and had a right go at me, saying "you don't do enough on stage". I replied, well I play the bass, I'm not good enough to run around and play bass at the same time (as I would screw up) and the singer/guitarist is the front man. "Yeah, but you don't do enough"

I smiled and walked off, making a mental note

Edit: FYI, our drummer (who used to be a singer) does the backing vocals, I have a voice like a strangled cat

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='tombboy' post='339551' date='Nov 28 2008, 01:12 PM']I hope I've explained that so you can understand....[/quote]

Derrr - not yet, I am a bass player.... :)

The reason I took up bass was because as a drummer, I could never find a band with a "proper" bass player, only g**tarists that had moved onto bass because no one else would.

They may have been able to play nice melodic stuff, but there was never any raw feel.

Note: Before I get flamed, that was my own limited experience speaking there.

I really took it personally when I was a kid,so I learnt to play...FAST,speed was everything,lps and tapes worn away,chords,drones..basically I was Motorhead fan,anything to undermine or remove the need for another guitarist,Cream,Coroner,The Ox's parts in the Who are a massive influence,the typewriter,basically ANYTHING to remove the ryth player,to free up space for myself,to allow more melody,distortion (the only pleasure that 'Grunge' gave me was that dirt was in sonic fashion)...even technique...I can fill out the space..anything..ANYthing to remove the extra guitarist 'problem'...Dont GIVE anyone the chance to say anything against you,set your Bass to KIL KIL KIL!!!!

The Idea is also financial as well as practical,less onstage,more £££ in the pocket,one less ego to pay,one less setup to lug and chugg,one less person to argue with or wait for in a rehearsal room. And seeing as I come from an incredibly small crappy town with no-one into what I was into,it helped. In functions work it was brilliant......

Ive actually got more sh*t in recent years from 'Bassists' ranging from "You shouldnt be playing like that","You dont do that sort of thing on a Bass instrument","Your not a 'real' Bassplayer" to "Could you please stay still...my Boss will fire me for not moving enough",all cause laughter for me....and then I ask Why???,And then I get "Well xxxx dosent do that..does he???"

I also have a garden full of bodies,and most comments come from either Kids or those long-in-the-tooth...

If people think or say that being a Bassplayer is being a failed musician,play them Cream's 'Crossroads' live at the Fillmore,The entire "Ace of Spades" Lp by Motorhead,'Le Freak' or 'Good times by Chic or pretty much anything slaptastic by Larry Graham or Louis Johnson..or and this is the swinger..some classic Motown.

And if they still have not changed their mind THEN KILL THEM.

[quote name='ARGH' post='341051' date='Nov 30 2008, 12:33 PM']If people think or say that being a Bassplayer is being a failed musician,play them Cream's 'Crossroads' live at the Fillmore,The entire "Ace of Spades" Lp by Motorhead,'Le Freak' or 'Good times by Chic or pretty much anything slaptastic by Larry Graham or Louis Johnson..or and this is the swinger..some classic Motown.

And if they still have not changed their mind THEN KILL THEM.[/quote]

Euthanasia Might be the correct term. [Brain dead already]

Garry

[quote name='ARGH' post='341051' date='Nov 30 2008, 12:33 PM']If people think or say that being a Bassplayer is being a failed musician,play them Cream's 'Crossroads' live at the Fillmore,The entire "Ace of Spades" Lp by Motorhead,'Le Freak' or 'Good times by Chic or pretty much anything slaptastic by Larry Graham or Louis Johnson..or and this is the swinger..some classic Motown.

And if they still have not changed their mind THEN KILL THEM.[/quote]

If that doesn't change their mind then they are as good as dead anyway.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='339015' date='Nov 27 2008, 10:40 PM']Fortunately I don't play with any guitarists with those attitudes.

But if I did, I'd just say 'Here, you try' and hand them the fretless.[/quote]

Good call.

I might try that.

Or I might just give them some sheet music instead.

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='340936' date='Nov 30 2008, 09:56 AM']DO they???? Hmmmmmmmmm.. interesting.... :)[/quote]

wheeey! we picked the right instrument, sarah :huh:

re: anyone taking a dig at bass, bring it!

i always consider situations like that as fantastic opportunities to roll out a few standard hypnotic responses and watch people scrabble round inside their own heads to make sense of the world.

I've learnt over the years that you can have a crap guitarist in band and it can still be a very good band. Slip in a bad bassplayer or drummer and you've got a crap band. The section in the driving seat have always been undervalued. Usually by the ones that have a more ego than ability. Notice how loads of guitarists are trying to slap? Says it all.

Keith

Edited by leschirons