Why become a member? ×

Nottingham bass bash - THIS SATURDAY 28th

budget bassist

It's been done before, and as long as you know they're alright then i don't really see the problem. Telling them no presents a bit of an unwelcoming image, and that's not an image the site really want's to have i'd think. Anyone can join the forum, so why can't any bassist come to the bash? Mrs Tinman doesn't play bass (i don't think?) but we all love her ;)

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='budget bassist' post='382934' date='Jan 17 2009, 12:06 AM']It's been done before, and as long as you know they're alright then i don't really see the problem. Telling them no presents a bit of an unwelcoming image, and that's not an image the site really want's to have i'd think. Anyone can join the forum, so why can't any bassist come to the bash? Mrs Tinman doesn't play bass (i don't think?) but we all love her ;)[/quote]

But she is a BC'er

[quote name='mcgraham' post='383605' date='Jan 17 2009, 10:09 PM']Lwtait I think that's a shocking attitude to take. A bassist is a bassist, if it inspires them to get on with practicing and opens their eyes to fellow musicians what's the harm? Seriously, talk about elitist!

Mark[/quote]

look, quite honestly i dont feel strongly enough about this to argue or even take offence at you calling me an elitist. so i'll just explain why i dont really want them coming along and drop it. budget bassist has organised all of this, i think he's got the right to decide really.

i shouldve explained my reasoning in my first post, i admit it does make me look a bit of a d!ck. but we're a group, and this is a group meeting. theyre not part of our group, so why should they come and meet up with us? all i ask is they join and contribute to basschat a bit. if they enjoy talking about basses, i cant see that this would be a hardship, and if they dont like talking about basses then what do they want to come to the bash for? if they cant be bothered to get onto a computer with internet access (most people have them these days) and drop into to say hi and contribute to our discussions, which, IMO, is the polite thing to do, then why should i be happy about them playing my £1000 bass?

these were just thoughts that ran through my head when i saw you were planning on brinning non-basschatters to the bash, and like i said, i really dont feel too strongly about it. im happy with whatever budget bassist decides, and what i've just been saying isn't an argument, im just giving the reasoning behind what i said in order to make myself look less like a d!ck really, and in hope that you'll at least see my side of the argument, even if you disagree with it.

I think that anyone should be allowed to come, really. Basschat is a community where anyone can join, yeah it would be nice to have a hello before someone we don't know pops in, but like i say, there may be someone who's interested in starting up who may want to come along and see what's what, but i think it's a bit harsh to just say no, though for the sake of argument, i'll establish a few ground rules.

[b]1.[/b] Any none basschatter should accompanied by a basschatter, and let us know if you're going to be bringing someone, though excluding people isn't what we want, obvously we don't want every tom dick and harry coming along.
[b]2.[/b] Don't bring too many non-bass chatters, this space is paid for by basschat i suppose and it is a basschat event, but i'll leave it up to you as to what constitutes "too many", just be sensible.
[b]3.[/b] If you do bring someone, make sure you know them at least, we all respect our gear and we expect everyone else to act accordingly.

I think that sounds fair, lets keep the hostility to a minimum, yeah?

[quote name='budget bassist' post='383662' date='Jan 18 2009, 12:07 AM']I think that anyone should be allowed to come, really. Basschat is a community where anyone can join, yeah it would be nice to have a hello before someone we don't know pops in, but like i say, there may be someone who's interested in starting up who may want to come along and see what's what, but i think it's a bit harsh to just say no, though for the sake of argument, i'll establish a few ground rules.

[b]1.[/b] Any none basschatter should accompanied by a basschatter, and let us know if you're going to be bringing someone, though excluding people isn't what we want, obvously we don't want every tom dick and harry coming along.
[b]2.[/b] Don't bring too many non-bass chatters, this space is paid for by basschat i suppose and it is a basschat event, but i'll leave it up to you as to what constitutes "too many", just be sensible.
[b]3.[/b] If you do bring someone, make sure you know them at least, we all respect our gear and we expect everyone else to act accordingly.

I think that sounds fair, lets keep the hostility to a minimum, yeah?[/quote]

+1. All looks very sensible to me.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='budget bassist' post='396918' date='Feb 1 2009, 03:33 PM']Bring whatever you want ;)
There will most likely be other amps there, but you can if you want![/quote]

I'll be bringing my Markbass Combo - but the more amps the better I guess!

Bass wise I'm now bringing the Shuker (its arrived!!), the Thumb, and the Stingray. I'll probably bring the ATK305 as well as its still for sale!

Sam - hope you're bringing the $$?! I'd like to have a go on it again for old time's sake!