Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

I tried Low Tension flats on my VM4 and i really liked them but they didn't really suit the music i was playing plus i found they burned my wee dainty fingers if i slid from lower frets to higher ones so decided to remove them. 

Depending on your style of playing i would certainly give them a try.

Dave

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 21/04/2024 at 17:58, Rollin Thunder said:

Well the strings seem to have settled in, warmed up a bit now, not as thin and zingey give them a reprieve until my new set of Newtone strings arrive. 

month in replaced the strings with a brand new set of Newtone platinum rounds with round cores. 

sounds super nice, lovely warm broke in with that bit of natural grit.

Edited by Rollin Thunder
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rollin Thunder said:

month in replaced the strings with a brand new set of Newtone platinum rounds with round cores. 

sounds super nice, lovely warm broke in with that bit of natural grit.

Never heard of those strings. Will need to investigate.

Dave

Posted (edited)

I have 2 Sandbergs with flats on at the moment. 

My passive VS4 has Dunlop flats and sounds really woody. It took a while to break them in and get to that sound though.

One of my Umbos has the Galli Synthesis flats on and they are very similar in character to Thomastik Jazz Flats in tone and consruction but are less floppy and more even in tension. These are now my favourite flats although the Dunlops sound great on the VS4.

Edited by Opticaleye
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Opticaleye said:

My passive VS4 has Dunlop flats and sounds really woody. It took a while to break them in and get to that sound though.

One of my Umbos has the Galli Synthesis flats on and they are very similar in character to Thomastik Jazz Flats in tone and consruction but are less floppy and more even in tension. These are now my favourite flats although the Dunlops sound great on the VS4.

Those Galli's look interesting but I think when they say "Chrome" they probably mean a Nickel Chrome and I'm allergic to nickel. :( 

2 hours ago, Opticaleye said:

The Gallis do look interesting, particularly as a quick look at Thomann pricing suggests they are good value for money too.

• Like 2

On 15/05/2024 at 10:56, scrumpymike said:

Great bunch of guys but they don't make flats IIRC.

Last year I called Newtone and asked about flats. I was very surprised to hear they don't do them!

Edited by chris_b

Having used my Godin for the last few gigs i've done with both the Glam and punk bands i decided to go back to my VM4 as my back was aching a bit with the Godin even tho its only 0.5ibs heavier. I just love that VM4. Its so comfy to wear and the neck is an absolute dream. It just makes life easier on the road. 

Love the tone from the Godin tho, it has that warm P sound with the J pick up giving it a nice bite but if the weight's going to be a problem i'll be sticking to my Sandbergs.

Pity the Sandberg didn't have the Godin tone and i could possibly have the perfect bass. :tatice_03:

Before anyone suggests it i'm not someone that changes pick ups on a bass altho i have considered it with the VM4. Its probably just me that notices the difference in tone anyways. Audience won't spot it.

Dave

• Like 2