Why become a member? ×

Dingwall NG-3 (NBD)

Machines

I've been wanting a Dingwall for a long time, but never saw the right one for me. 

The Combustions I tried felt great but the sound didn't inspire me (I think it was the preamp) and the NG-2's I tried, I didn't like the colour of (fluorescent highlighter pen colour palette). So I waited.

I put a deposit down on an NG-2 a couple of months ago, but decided to hold fort for this instead as it showed as being on order at BassDirect, and oddly not reserved. When it landed and appeared on the website I decided to take the punt, and I picked it up on Saturday.

Everyone knows about the NG-2s so I won't detail that, but the obvious difference is the addition of a 3rd pickup and different switching options. 

They are:

1. Bridge
2. Bridge/Middle
3. Middle
4. Neck/Middle/Bridge

This wasn't known to me when I ordered, I think I would prefer the option of the neck pickup alone, but would lose the middle pickup alone option and also the 3 together (replacement switches are available quite cheaply from BassDirect, and appear solderless). 

Thankfully, Dingwall routed the bass nicely so I can have the pickguard off also if I wish (my preference at the moment).

Soundwise, of course - it's brilliant. Current favourite positions are 2/3 with a slight mid cut.

20180513_110314.thumb.jpg.d531a041a9cdf80a776c3247d08027eb.jpg20180513_110243.thumb.jpg.206631afe8b2b6e081b982d9f015cb83.jpg

• Like 1

I'm looking at the replacement switch option. Perhaps it is a ploy to get me to buy a normal Combustion too O.o. I thought individual switches for each pickup (on/off) would work a treat, and to be fair they do that in the Canadian models.

1 hour ago, Daz39 said:

Look on talkbass at the dingwall forum: more mods than you will know what to do with; esp around selector switching, Sheldon even gives wiring diagrams to help.

nerdy : isn’t this an NG-5 3x?

No, the NG2 is the normal model, for the 2 pickups. So this is an NG3.

I'll have a mooch on TB cheers.

50 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

That’s the only bass I’m gassing for at the mo. 

Im happy with what I’ve got,  but I still want that!

I want a Combustion 6. I'll likely never be able to justify a Z, AB or even ABZ, so that would be just nice thankyou. 3 pickup, nice shiny colour.

I would certainly like to try one. I loved the neck and feel on the original combustion but couldn't get the sounds i needed from it. I would love to try one of the others.

Or maybe it would be a cheaper idea to get an older combustion and stick some nordstrands on it.

10 minutes ago, therealting said:

You could swap the bridge and neck pickup connections on the pot to get:

1. Neck

2. Neck/middle

3. Middle

4. All on. 

This, exactly. The owner of the world-famous Rastaburst Dingwall got an NG3 and swapped the wiring around to try this out. Turns out he preferred stock.

I've only played one Combustion, an early model 5 string with high action and flats. My SPj5 and ABZ6 covering all my needs. 

3 hours ago, charic said:

What you really need is a switch that covers :

Bridge

Bridge Mid

Mid

Mid Neck

Neck

Bridge Neck

All On

Have fun wiring it! :P

Stratocaster wiring with a neck on off switch would allow for this, but then you’ve gotta decide if the pickups should be in series or parallel in each position.

Very nice bass! Congrats!

I too think it looks best without the PG.

On 14.5.2018 at 12:08, Machines said:

I thought individual switches for each pickup (on/off) would work a treat, and to be fair they do that in the Canadian models.

Those aren't on/off switches, they actually toggle the pickup coils serial/parallel, which is quite handy because it adds a different voicing to each pickup. Anyway, I think it would be cool to have a three way switch "serial/parallel/off" for each pickup.

27 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I'm still lusting for it.

I do wish Bass Direct would actually explain the colour codes rather than 4 letters of indecipherable crap.

There's a key at the bottom of the page.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I've found it!

Why BD can't just put it on each item properly is beyond me. Cut n paste is easy.

I would expect laziness. Dingwall probably send the list like this.

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

that's a good point.

I wonder why Dingwall don't have a pic of every colour available on their site. Seems an odd approach. Black and white are easy enough, but your dark blue might be my light purple etc.

If you load the gallery they don't seem to be missing anything ?