Why become a member? ×

MESA Big Block 750 on Gumtree £450

Platypus

Call me a cynic, but he's advertising on the London forum when he's based in Birmingham. And he hasn't bothered to advertise on Birmingham gumtree?

Edit: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MINT-MESA-BOOGIE-BIG-BLOCK-750-BASS-GUITAR-AMP-HEAD_W0QQitemZ120333421927"]Completed auction on US ebay[/url]

Edited by Musky

[quote name='rhughes44' post='338236' date='Nov 27 2008, 11:29 AM']Is this a Scam? If so how does it work?
Looks like he paid £674 plus postage plus Import tax for a US powersupply Mesa - and now he is trying to sell it on for £450 ??

What am I missing here?[/quote]

..Mesa heads aren't voltage-switchable. There's your starter for ten...

[quote name='Musky' post='335933' date='Nov 24 2008, 11:14 PM']Call me a cynic, but he's advertising on the London forum when he's based in Birmingham. And he hasn't bothered to advertise on Birmingham gumtree?

Edit: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MINT-MESA-BOOGIE-BIG-BLOCK-750-BASS-GUITAR-AMP-HEAD_W0QQitemZ120333421927"]Completed auction on US ebay[/url][/quote]

Probably imported it from america, forgot to change the voltages and blown it and now trying to offload it to some unlucky fella from gumtree, probably why hes listing in london and not birmingham, so it has to be posted as apposed to being able try it out

[quote name='rhughes44' post='338236' date='Nov 27 2008, 11:29 AM']Is this a Scam? If so how does it work?
Looks like he paid £674 plus postage plus Import tax for a US powersupply Mesa - and now he is trying to sell it on for £450 ??

What am I missing here?[/quote]

The scam here is that the Ebay auction ended on 18th November, the same day as that gumtree ad first went up (he's updated the ad now, so it's showing as a 25th Nov date).

So I think it's fair to assume that he doesn't have the amp and has just nicked the identical photos from the completed ebay auction. He advertises in London knowing it's quite likely someone will want the amp posted rather than going to collect. It wouldn't surprise me if he wants paying by Western Union or an open cheque/postal order either.

Apparently it's in Newcastle. I've emailed back to ask which one (which Newcastle, that is - under-Lyme is 30 miles up the road). Interestingly, his reply (English not his first language) referred throughout to "the item" and said that the price and the photos were on the advert. And just to reassure me, "Want you to know that the item is in perfect condition of working and shape ."

I somehow feel that the "seller" won't be monitoring Basschat...

[quote name='tauzero' post='340198' date='Nov 29 2008, 12:52 AM']Apparently it's in Newcastle. I've emailed back to ask which one (which Newcastle, that is - under-Lyme is 30 miles up the road). Interestingly, his reply (English not his first language) referred throughout to "the item" and said that the price and the photos were on the advert. And just to reassure me, "Want you to know that the item is in perfect condition of working and shape ."

I somehow feel that the "seller" won't be monitoring Basschat...[/quote]

Did he say it was very 'larruping' too? :)

The whole thing is a bit wiffy to me

"Hello , I appreciate your interest regarding my item . Want you to know that the item is in perfect condition of working and shape . The price is typed in the ad . Also that ad have some photos with the item , I hope that you saw them all . I bought it 4 years ago it work great . Is the uk version you don`t need any convertor . If you are ready to buy the mesa boogie, we will use a shipping company : Door to Door Express Cargo Services ( www.doortodoorexpress.co.cc ) . I will explain you how it works :
-you must give me your shipping information : full name , and your complete address.
-after that I will go to the shipping company , to send the package to your address.
-the shipping company will contact you with details about our transaction , payment method , and information about the package .
-you have 3 days to send the money to the shipping company , and the money will stay at the shipping company until you receive the package , you will receive it in 4-5 days . When you will receive it , you will have the chance to inspect the package , and to test it , and if you won`t be satisfied with it , you can return it to the shipping company , and you will have your money back .
Also want you to know that I will support the shipping taxes . If is all clear and ok for you , I will wait for your shipping details , so I can go to the shipping company and ship the package .
Thanks"

The company he mentions has spelling mistakes on its website, lists its address as Manchester but has a phone number for Seattle. Hmmmm
Might be a bargain, or it might be that the Mesa doesn't exist and he's lifted the photos from ebay to create the 'item'.....

Clearly a scam given the original timing of the ad versus the eBay auction ending. I emailed Gumtree when this first appeared and showed them the eBay link both for the photos and to prove he could not have the bass in his possession but they have obviously chosen to ignore this.