Why become a member? ×

Heavier Gauge Strings

Hobbayne

53 minutes ago, Hobbayne said:

I see Steve Harris has his own strings.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rotosound-Monel-Harris-Flatwound-Strings/dp/B0002GNY0A

Does a heavier gauge give a better tone for heavy rock?

Yes and no. Heavier strings are certainly preferable for lower tunings but I'd take a longer scale for that before going for heavy strings. 

Steve Harris uses flatwound strings and those signature strings are flats, they give a flat, dull sound. Good for "thud rock" tone but not what I'd want for clarity or note definition on stage with loud drums and guitars. 

Depends. Heavier strings will have more output and let you dig in harder due to their higher tension. But some players like Geddy Lee use really light strings to get that aggressive clanky/buzzy tone with minimal effort which can often work better when using overdrive.

Yep, when I used 50 - 110s the sound was much deeper, but doing any runs or stuff like that, well they didn`t stand out as well, really found that the heavier gauge strins suited a much more driving foundation style bass.

14 hours ago, Mastodon2 said:

Steve Harris uses flatwound strings and those signature strings are flats, they give a flat, dull sound. Good for "thud rock" tone but not what I'd want for clarity or note definition on stage with loud drums and guitars. 

?

3 hours ago, EssentialTension said:

Harris's signature set seem to be just Roto RS77 Jazz Flats heavy gauge rebadged and resilked.

To me those are not 'flat and dull' but 'solid and bright'.

They're definitely brighter than other flatwounds I've used. But according to Rotosound, when I emailed them a few years back, the SH77 aren't just repackaged/silked RS77. Though they wouldn't divulge the differences...

11 minutes ago, bartelby said:

They're definitely brighter than other flatwounds I've used. But according to Rotosound, when I emailed them a few years back, the SH77 aren't just repackaged/silked RS77. Though they wouldn't divulge the differences...

Interesting, I wonder what is the real difference.

I think they missed a marketing trick there Dave , your SH666 suggestion would be a great idea 

The SH strings are indeed quite bright (I've a blue sparkle model) , but I suspect much of his brightness comes from the rig also 

I prefer using lower gauge strings on my basses as they work better for me accross the various styles I'm involved with , but I must admit it's a joy to play rock on the Steve Harris bass 

Edited by lojo

I don’t see what is so special about this set of strings. Isn’t it just a bundled together set of probably already existing string gauges with Steve Harris’ name stamped over the packet? I wonder how much more they charge over the non Steve price.

I hate marketing BS.

Edit. Ignore my rant. Just saw bartleby’s post regarding differences. Sorry!

Edited by ianrendall
I’m an idiot

3 minutes ago, ianrendall said:

I don’t see what is so special about this set of strings. Isn’t it just a bundled together set of probably already existing string gauges with Steve Harris’ name stamped over the packet? I wonder how much more they charge over the non Steve price.

I hate marketing BS. 

I've no idea what the difference is compared to a standard set of the same gauge.

I would buy them if I wanted to replace the strings but only because I'd want to keep my signature bass as it was from the factory , but I would not buy them for any of my other basses