Why become a member? ×

Do you think my missus would let me buy it if I said it would be a great investment?

thebrig

Of course  she would. Wives are very amenable when it comes to another expensive bass purchase

I'll probably only cost you a vintage , unmarked , as new , vintage Louis Vuitton handbag

Edited by fleabag

I've just been working out how much it would cost after duty and tax using "Simply Duty" at www.simplyduty.com/import-calculator/

Here's the result: £16,615.55

Importing a product classified with HS Code 9202.90.3000 to GB from US
with a value of 18500.00 USD results in the following:
Duty & Tax Charges
Duty: 440.73 GBP (Rate of 3.2%)
VAT: 2842.71 GBP (Rate of 20%)
Total: 3283.44 GBP
Your Total Landed Cost Calculation
Value of Goods: 18500 USD
Duty: 440.73 GBP
VAT: 2842.71 GBP
Shipping: 855.29 USD
Insurance: 0 USD
Total: 16615.55 GBP
This calculated using an exchange rate: USD:GBP 0.71158

Edited by thebrig

4 hours ago, thebrig said:

I've just been working out how much it would cost after duty and tax using "Simply Duty" at www.simplyduty.com/import-calculator/

Duty & Tax Charges

Look on the bright side - the maple fingerboard at least means it won't be impounded & then destroyed by UK customs for breaching the new CITES reguations!

I'm no expert by any means, but I do keep an eye on what vintage Fenders tend to go for, and I would say that £16,000 is a fair price for an instrument of this age and quality.

If this is genuine and can be authenticated, I would say that it would be a great investment.

I am so tempted, and I could take the missus to the States with me to pick it up personally, the saving on the shipping (855.29 USD) would go a long way to funding the trip.^_^

Edited by thebrig

2 hours ago, thebrig said:

I'm no expert by any means, but I do keep an eye on what vintage Fenders tend to go for, and I would say that £16,000 is a fair price for an instrument of this age and quality.

If this is genuine and can be authenticated, I would say that it would be a great investment.

I am so tempted, and I could take the missus to the States with me to pick it up personally, the saving on the shipping (855.29 USD) would go a long way to funding the trip.^_^

Just think of the saving if you went on your own...!

2 hours ago, thebrig said:

And on the return flight would you let the baggage handlers put it in the hold for you?

2 hours ago, EssentialTension said:

And on the return flight would you let the baggage handlers put it in the hold for you?

If I take york5stringer's advice, I could book a seat next to me for the the bass instead of the missus :)

On 30/03/2018 at 13:25, thebrig said:

Duty & Tax Charges

Just to prove what a bunch of Dik Turpins the Customs and Theft crew are, VAT is added to the cost of shipping , so  they see the value of the item as $18,500 +  $855.29 and then VAT is added.

Hows about that for legal daylight robbery.   They're ultimately stating that you bought a bass worth  $18,588.29 when in fact the value of the bass was what the shop charged for it.

Thieving  gov.dept.scum

And they wonder why some self employed people do cash work

Edited by fleabag

7 hours ago, fleabag said:

Just to prove what a bunch of Dik Turpins the Customs and Theft crew are, VAT is added to the cost of shipping , so  they see the value of the item as $18,500 +  $855.29 and then VAT is added.

Hows about that for legal daylight robbery.   They're ultimately stating that you bought a bass worth  $18,588.29 when in fact the value of the bass was what the shop charged for it.

Thieving  gov.dept.scum

And they wonder why some self employed people do cash work

To be fair, the people that work for HMRC are just a bunch of normal, overworked pen pushers doing their job*.  It would be the Treasury, then the House of Commons, who made and passed the laws, who you should be directing your ire towards.  If you disagree strongly about how import duty and VAT are calculated, you should lobby your MP because, ultimately, it is their responsibility

*I don't, never have, although I know a couple of people who did.

Edited by Paul S

Actually, pedant is the wrong word.  It means 'a person who is too interested in formal rules and small details that are not important

and what you said was factually incorrect, not merely a small unimportant detail.

However, I accept that this post may have been pedantic.  xD

1 hour ago, Rick's Fine '52 said:

Fab bass in the OP, I have a near mint '53, it looks like its never been played, the neck is brand new. Investment wise, you can't go wrong, the best examples of the rarest things will always appreciate. And you get the pleasure of owning and playing it in the meantime. Here's mine;

53.jpg

Fantastic!!!

On 01/04/2018 at 15:27, Paul S said:

Actually, pedant is the wrong word.  It means 'a person who is too interested in formal rules and small details that are not important

and what you said was factually incorrect, not merely a small unimportant detail.

However, I accept that this post may have been pedantic.  xD

Scuse me a second Paul.......

zzzz

:)

• Haha 1