Why become a member? ×

"...the worst scam he had seen in the past 20 years"

...so sayeth MU head honcho Horace Trubridge:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43540298

Anybody else ever have a run-in with these clowns? I've never forgotten being invited to an initial meeting with some of them, via an email in which they wrote effusively about how much they liked the sound and look of the band, and really thought this was something they could work with...only to turn up and be asked questions such as "so what kind of music do you play?" and "how many are you in the band?"

I remain relieved that I didn't hand over any money as a result of that meeting, but I know one or two who were less fortunate.

"As soon as we hear that an artist has been asked to put their hand in their own pocket by a management company, big alarm bells start to ring."

Pretty much this. I appreciate that being a musician doesn't guarantee business or finance skills, but neither does it exclude basic common sense.

Giving significant sums of money to someone you've never met is simply not a smart move.

Ever.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fleabag said:

I'm surprised in this technological age, that the scum couldn't be traced. At least there was no mention of it

Surely such a scam means they have left a trail ?

Mind boggles

If the perpetrators were sending out unsolicited emails, surely they are spam scam scum?

10 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

If the perpetrators were sending out unsolicited emails, surely they are spam scam scum?

9 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

A precision with flats, and the tone rolled off. Dum dum dum de dum dum.

Guitarist: "Anyway, it's a 12-bar shuffle in A with an 8-note ending that goes spam scam scum dum, dum de dum dum".

19 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

"As soon as we hear that an artist has been asked to put their hand in their own pocket by a management company, big alarm bells start to ring."

Pretty much this. I appreciate that being a musician doesn't guarantee business or finance skills, but neither does it exclude basic common sense.

Giving significant sums of money to someone you've never met is simply not a smart move.

Ever.

Exactly.

It's a business deal, so you should know exactly who you're dealing with. Search for them online - What have they been up to? Is anyone talking about them? What are they saying? Ask around - Do any of your friends know them? Have any of your friends worked with them before? Would they recommend it?

Very basic due diligence. tbh, I do this before a job interview or even a date.

4 hours ago, MiltyG565 said:

Exactly.

It's a business deal, so you should know exactly who you're dealing with. Search for them online - What have they been up to? Is anyone talking about them? What are they saying? Ask around - Do any of your friends know them? Have any of your friends worked with them before? Would they recommend it?

Very basic due diligence. tbh, I do this before a job interview or even a date.

So true. There's nothing new under the sun and one born every minute. When I was young and the top of my head didn't get sunburnt, several bands I was in were approached by people promising the earth, in exchange for our hard-earned up front, which would pay for all the hard work they were going to do for us, the demo record (I'm that old) they were going to produce/promote, etc, etc. I'm afraid that if people are taken in by this nonsense, they only have themselves to blame.

when anybody asks for money upfront alarm bells ring, especially when they say "we think you're wonderful we're sure we can help you make it" well if you think we're that good take a percentage of the profits then.

Reverbnation are always trying to get money out of me, don't think so

On 29/03/2018 at 15:31, Happy Jack said:

...I appreciate that being a musician doesn't guarantee business or finance skills, but neither does it exclude basic common sense...

Quite right Jack, but as we know music attracts flakes and fantasists. They're easy prey.

If I was a scam artist, I don't think I'd be targeting musicians, as most of them are flat broke, spending what little they have on new instruments, getting to gigs, buying drugs, etc. I am amazed that this 'company' is supposed to have ripped people off for thousands of pounds - where did they get the money in the first place?? :) :)

9 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

If I was a scam artist, I don't think I'd be targeting musicians, as most of them are flat broke, spending what little they have on new instruments, getting to gigs, buying drugs, etc. I am amazed that this 'company' is supposed to have ripped people off for thousands of pounds - where did they get the money in the first place?? :) :)

The victims in the article look quite young to me, so possibly it's The Bank of Mum and Dad?

And not everyone's skint Dave, just us. :D

Edited by discreet