Why become a member? ×

Any BCers playing in experimental bands?

Barking Spiders

I'm just about to start playing with a free improvisational jazz drummer (who's played with Evan Parker) - our plan is to be a duo if it works out, involving lots of effects on my part, and lots of clever time shifting from him to cover my general ineptitude!

I also used to play in a loose collective of improvisers (ex-Lol Coxhill); the drummer and I would jam a funk groove and the horn boys would parp and squeal on top of it. 4 hours was our record gig length!

I did a couple of amazing gigs with an impromptu band a few years ago - I think there were 5 guitarists, a drummer and two bassists (me and our very own dannybuoy)

A couple of fairly free-form jams before the gig, the best music chosen for the set and then we gigged. Noisy, chaotic and great fun :)

I play bass guitar alongside (usually) six other guitarists known collectively as "The Glissando Guitar Orchestra". We all bow our instruments with metal objects using a lot of compression and delay, creating fabulously rich textured drones.

It sounds like this:

• Like 4

Always good to meet another Daevid and Gong head!

Really enjoyed listening to that, though I kept imagining little Moonweed bubbles floating through, and maybe a touch of Shakti Yoni's space whispers, but simply beautiful.

Edited by FinnDave

36 minutes ago, NukeBass said:

I play bass guitar alongside (usually) six other guitarists known collectively as "The Glissando Guitar Orchestra". We all bow our instruments with metal objects using a lot of compression and delay, creating fabulously rich textured drones.

It sounds like this:

Great stuff there. That appeals to me.

Bartleby -so, then viz your minimalist electronica you talking about stuff you'd find on the Kompakt label e.g. The Field ? I want to do more electronic with others using my electronic drum kit plus treated guitars and bass. I'm searching the world for a first generation Copilot FX Orbit Fuzz  which closely approximates the classic dirty Acid House basslines of the Roland TB 303 as used to best effect by Hardfloor

On 27/03/2018 at 14:08, NukeBass said:

It sounds like this:

That’s was lovely and it makes perfect sense to me 😉

I’ve been jamming with a band for the last year using my bass through a Line 6 HD500X and getting nice experimental sounds (noises). I too am often after ‘those’ typical dance sounds of 303’s or the D&B warble...not so much the dub step thing. Incidentally I recently saw Submotion Orchestra with Fatty Hargreaves on bass...his experimental deep bass analog sounds were absolutely amazing...FX master! 

My band is experimental. Essentially we're a heavy prog rock band. In practice that means lots of variations in time and sound. Our sets are linked together with soundscapes. Although it may sound like it is improvised it really isn't that random at all. Our synth player plays midi though varios effects pedals and a monotron. I get to use some great bass eeffects and pedal combinations.

It is hard work but great fun. It seems to be paying off to as we're getting more airplay and festival spots despite struggling to get decent gigs.

Facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/TheAngryBadgers/ or on youtube.

Edited by Pinball
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jecklin said:

Not bass guitar, but I lay down some substantial low end in my solo material - http://www.thomasstonemusic.com

And in the ensemble I play in -

Http://www.oretubadoom.com

If things go to plan I'll be resurrecting my own ensemble Jecklin this year too.

I saw the tuba duo version of Ore several years ago at the Supersonic Festival. 

Very good indeed.

Guest Jecklin
1 hour ago, bartelby said:

I saw the tuba duo version of Ore several years ago at the Supersonic Festival. 

Very good indeed.

Ore will be playing as a duo ( although not the original duo) at the flat pack festival in Birmingham very soon.