Why become a member? ×

tinnitus!!!!

BigBadBass

Hello!

iv managed to aquire an ear infection and the last 5 days i have had really bad tinnutus and not been able to sleep!

was wondering if anyone had any experience with this? any methods for blocking it out or curing it? It is the most horrible thing i have ever experienced!

I play regularly and have always been careful (i always use earplugs and have done for the last 2 years) and i hope it goes away soon!!

thanks for lstening to me moan!!

cheers

Steve

I got pretty down about my ears a few weeks ago as I seemed to be getting lots of post gig noise that seemed to last much longer than normal but i started taking more care ( using blockers etc ) turning my car cd down and stopped watching other bands for a bit and it has diminished dramatically ( I also realised that the head cold I had was affecting it as well )

I think the ear infection you mention will also have an affect

Hope it all clears up for you

Tony

I've has something similar in the past when I had an ENT infection - it cleared up after a course of antibiotics.

(and no, that isn't a sexually transmitted disease you get from humping Treebeard) :wacko:

Edited by Hamster

I have permanent tinnitus. I don't notice it during the day but can drive me nuts if I'm in a silent room or trying to hear something faint. Fortunately after a while you'll find that your brain will naturally filter out the background noise of tinnitus, eventually. Just try not to dwell on it and 'tune out' of the sound rather than concentrating on it.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='333622' date='Nov 21 2008, 08:51 AM']+1 on what Peted said.

The only time I get ear infections is when I use ear plugs :)
Peter[/quote]
It does pay to sterilise them between each use. Apologies in advance if you do that already. Maybe you're just unlucky in that respect.

You do accommodate tinnitus after awhile. However, it sounds like the ear infection is causing it, so if you get that sorted (and either ditch or thoroughly sterilise your earplugs, if they're reusables) then it should pass. You can't do anything about it though - best thing to do is not think about it. I don't notice mine unless something makes me think of it, then it takes me a while to ignore it again.

[quote name='peted' post='333617' date='Nov 21 2008, 08:35 AM']I have permanent tinnitus. I don't notice it during the day but can drive me nuts if I'm in a silent room or trying to hear something faint. Fortunately after a while you'll find that your brain will naturally filter out the background noise of tinnitus, eventually. Just try not to dwell on it and 'tune out' of the sound rather than concentrating on it.[/quote]

Yep I've had it for about 14 years. In a quiet room you can concentrate hard and "turn it down" but it takes practice and doesn't always work. The worse thing for me is when I'm in the mountains with nobody and nothing around, total silence except the ringing in my ears. I miss silence.

Hopefully the OPs tinnitus will pass once the infection has gone. But going forward we should all wear good ear plugs. A custom set will set you back less than an expensive pedal. I wish I had been made more aware of these products before I got my tinnitus, damn that crash cymbal (I think it was probably that).

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='333647' date='Nov 21 2008, 09:38 AM']I've very narrow ear channels ...[/quote]

Same here, I found that most 'normal' off the shelf ear plugs were uncomfortable and pretty useless

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='333647' date='Nov 21 2008, 09:38 AM']I even had an expensive pair made to measure and they were too big/uncomfortable.[/quote]

Maybe suggest there was something wrong with the manufacturing process? If they were made to measure, they should fit the curves of your ear perfectly. I'm not sure if you were told the same, but if you have ER's made, Etymotic Research ask that if the plugs don't feel comfortable you should return to where the moulds were made. The Audiologist who did mine actually asked me to collect my plugs directly from him so he could make sure they fitted me properly.

thanks guys! it's been upsetting me the last wee while.

ive been on antibiotics for nearly 2 weeks almost finished them its just the last 5 days have been really bad. Been struggling even watching tv! i know theres no real cure for it long term. my best mates date was in the Army and has had it since he was 17! and he's now 72! i dont know how he manages! Tinnitus and going deafg are some of my biggest fears! i dont know what i'd do without my ears!

thanks for the replies

[quote name='BigBadBass' post='333945' date='Nov 21 2008, 04:13 PM']thanks guys! it's been upsetting me the last wee while.

ive been on antibiotics for nearly 2 weeks almost finished them its just the last 5 days have been really bad. Been struggling even watching tv! i know theres no real cure for it long term. my best mates date was in the Army and has had it since he was 17! and he's now 72! i dont know how he manages! Tinnitus and going deafg are some of my biggest fears! i dont know what i'd do without my ears!

thanks for the replies[/quote]

It could also be the antibiotics that are causing the tinnitus, check the info sheet for side effects. Hope it goes soon.

[quote name='peted' post='333617' date='Nov 21 2008, 08:35 AM']I have permanent tinnitus. I don't notice it during the day but can drive me nuts if I'm in a silent room or trying to hear something faint. Fortunately after a while you'll find that your brain will naturally filter out the background noise of tinnitus, eventually. Just try not to dwell on it and 'tune out' of the sound rather than concentrating on it.[/quote]
+1

Exactly the same for me. Had my hearing tested a few months back which confirmed I have tinitus. Initially, it kept me awake at times. Strangely enough, once it was confirmed as tinitus, I think I subconsciously accepted it'll never go away and my brain just tuned into it.

I hardly ever notice it......until I read about tinitus and then it's clear as a bell!

So as daft as it sounds, try and live with it rather than fighting it.

If it's an infection, hopefully it'll clear up.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='334418' date='Nov 22 2008, 02:31 PM']tinnitus scares me :) i get it after gigs quite often, i should probably wear ear plugs but i never bother, so it's my own fault if i do get it permanently i guess[/quote]

START WEARING EARPLUGS NOW! YES I AM SHOUTING.

Seriously any protection is better than none at all, don't wait until you have an irreversible condition like I did. I now wear them to stop it getting any worse.

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='334312' date='Nov 22 2008, 11:35 AM']I hardly ever notice it......until I read about tinitus and then it's clear as a bell!

So as daft as it sounds, try and live with it rather than fighting it.

If it's an infection, hopefully it'll clear up.[/quote]

It's not an infection, it's nerve damage. You may be able to subconsiously suppress it temporarily but it will never ever go away. I've had it for over 25 years, 24/7. The worst is when everything around you is quiet, then it's really loud.

I started to suffer quite badly from the middle of this year - as it's in just the one ear I think it was infection related but who knows. I can live with the tinnitus but the 'crosstalk' really p1sses me off.

BB - Elacin ER20's can be had for less than a tenner, you hardly notice them and it cuts post gig ringing down to negligable - YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE!

Edited by martthebass

I've been wearing plugs for the last 2 years or so...but only after the tinnitus had set in. Of course I now seriosuly regret not wearing the plugs earlier - for me, as it is probably for alot of people, it was a combination of the tinnitus wearing off after a gig and the (shall we call it) "embarassment" factor that stopped me trying them earlier, thinking it was not a problem.
It is now!
Hoepfully I have caught mine early enough that it is still mild - although now I am reading this thread, I am aware of it in a noisy(ish) office.

The guitarist and drummer in our band do not wear plugs, even though they know I do, and I suggest they should do so to. At the moment they say their ears recover......

I am surpirsed that no-one has ever mentioned the use of the plugs at a gig. People must see me put them in, and maybe even see them in place, but I have not had one comment about wearing them! Really surprised me! Goes to show that the "embarrasement" factor was not real at all......

OK, the plugs do affect your ability to hear the overall sound perfectly, but frankly I don't really care! I want my ears to stop ringing - or at least to not get any worse! I do a sound check with no plugs in to get the overall sound OK, then play the gig with the plugs in, even if the sound in my ears is very bassy due to the plugs cutting the high end frequencies.

In the end, it is everyones choice, but it is a shame that people don't listen to advice, especially where ears are concerned! It's a shame that more advice is taken notice of when asking about what head or cab to use, than protecting a valuable physical property that can never be replaced.