Why become a member? ×

A Case Of Danger!

LeftyP

I've just taken delivery of a Gator hard case which appears to be very well made and should protect my bass guitar in transit.

However, inside the case was a tag which contained the following warning;

"This product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm"

California law requires them to give the warning to customers in California. 

Not sure what to make of the warning but it looks like my bass may not be producing any young!

I would wager that the case has been assembled with an adhesive that contains toluene. (Probably the adhesive that couples the lining to the case at a guess).

https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/phs/phs.asp?id=159&tid=29

Although the levels of the substance present are unlikely to cause any issues, the statement is true and hence has to be included by Californian law.

2 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Having now seen a shampoo boast of being gluten free, I plan to take all and any health advice I'm given with a large pinch of salt. And sugar, and a fag, and a can of Special Brew.

It's actually quite a serious thing - although not because of being coeliac (not that people go around deliberately ingesting shampoo), more because of the wheat intolerance and the problems it can cause to the skin of sufferers. Thing is nowadays, the "gluten" thing is seen more of a trendy fad than a serious issue for people that are coeliac - and not given the attention that it deserves. My other half is coeliac - and whilst every restaurant should be acutely aware of dealing with allergens, there are still people that don't - it doesn't help that she'll often pop out to places straight after the gym dressed in gym clothes where people will assume the gluten free requirement is because of some gym fad diet.

But yeah - I'm in agreement with you - there's a lot of BS being peddled in the marketing departments... at least you know where you are with a full fat sugar diet, fags and special brew! :P

2 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

A park bench half the time!

My sister is badly coeliac and my wife has a digestive disorder which is affected by gluten, so I know it well- just being facetious really! Like you say though, it has become a 'thing' now, just tag it on to spread the demographic for whatever product you're hawking.

Funny that no-one yaps on about whether their products are tested on animals any more. We forgot about that one to concentrate on whether our non-gender-specific beef was fed on inorganic sulphites whilst still in the womb. xD

A park bench indeed. Only done that once. In Edinburgh. Not an experience that I would ever want to repeat.

Yeah - the current marketing trend of "gluten free" is really annoying... because it downplays the seriousness of coeliac disease. I see it as pretty disrespectful to the community that are suffering.

Here's the thing - if a product is on sale in China, it's been tested on animals. I'm not sure whether your statement is true - I think the vegan movement and animal welfare issue has been the strongest that it's ever been. There's certainly more focus on cruelty free and the diminishing sales in the meat and dairy industries is certainly not insignificant. With regard to the your inorganic sulphites comment - I suspect there's far worse. People will introduce all sort of crap into the foodchain if they stand to make a quick buck from it.

Defo - how can we forget the social media push of the horror that trisodium phosphate is in Lucky Charms? Gosh, what a terrible sounding name that additive has... found in paint thinners don't you know? :P Yeah - I clocked the E numbers. My mother used to look at the ingredients and basically used the number of E numbers as an indicator of how bad the product was. I guess that way of thinking stuck - and hence was replaced with that traffic light system on the packaging as it appears less "chemically" sounding.

Here's another one... where do get our protein from if we don't eat meat.......? Answer is, meat is bad for you, you can't get protein from veg (look at all those cows that are struggling for protein) - so meanwhile, buy our powdered protein powder supplement crap that makes your breath absolutely stink. :P

Kind of related - I frequent discussion groups about plants that are populated mainly by folks from the USA.  A chap from Arizona was wondering what type of tree he could plant for a given location and I suggested an olive tree as it fitted all his criteria.  Someone piped up that it is illegal to plant olive trees in Arizona because of the health risks associated with them and all olive trees have been removed over the last decade or so.  I observed that you can drive all the way around the Mediterranean region, where olive trees are planted by the countless billion and have been for thousands of years, and not see a single dead person as a result.  And that perhaps, if the authorities were serious about saving lives, they should legislate against guns not olive trees.  His only remark was that they needed guns to shoot down the olive trees, but I think that may have been flippant. :)

4 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

A park bench indeed. Only done that once. In Edinburgh. Not an experience that I would ever want to repeat.

Yeah - the current marketing trend of "gluten free" is really annoying... because it downplays the seriousness of coeliac disease. I see it as pretty disrespectful to the community that are suffering.

Here's the thing - if a product is on sale in China, it's been tested on animals. I'm not sure whether your statement is true - I think the vegan movement and animal welfare issue has been the strongest that it's ever been. There's certainly more focus on cruelty free and the diminishing sales in the meat and dairy industries is certainly not insignificant. With regard to the your inorganic sulphites comment - I suspect there's far worse. People will introduce all sort of crap into the foodchain if they stand to make a quick buck from it.

Why is it annoying if it means its easier for people resistant to gluten to have more choice?  It is stupid to sell a bag of nuts that contains the warning "May contain nuts" but sometimes they do just that. What we need to be asking is why are there so many people now with intolerance and allergies? And do something about it.

5 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Here's another one... where do get our protein from if we don't eat meat.......? Answer is, meat is bad for you, you can't get protein from veg (look at all those cows that are struggling for protein) - so meanwhile, buy our powdered protein powder supplement crap that makes your breath absolutely stink. :P

I've been eating quite a lot of tofu recently.

High protein, virtually cholesterol free , full of amino acid thingies and various nutrients I've never previously heard of and actually quite tasty once you learn how to press it and marinate it properly.

I'm not even vegetarian, I'm just trying to lose a few pounds and because tofu is so low in calories you get bigger portions than you would using meat in the same dish.

It's the future.

Edited by Cato

1 hour ago, mikel said:

Why is it annoying if it means its easier for people resistant to gluten to have more choice?  It is stupid to sell a bag of nuts that contains the warning "May contain nuts" but sometimes they do just that. What we need to be asking is why are there so many people now with intolerance and allergies? And do something about it.

I think this is a little lost in translation. I get annoyed that the "gluten free" packaging is generally used to attract the gym bunnies as opposed to being marketed towards those with allergies or intolerance. You can spot the people who are the ones with allergies as they are the ones going through the ingredients with a fine tooth comb.

Gluten is not a bad thing - only to those with an intolerance. But the whole "gluten free" marketing campaigns are generally there to make gluten look like something that is unhealthy and extremely bad for you.