Why become a member? ×

Black Nylon Bass Strings

Hobbayne

Anyone use them? I am gonna give 'em a go but just wondered how many of us actually use them?

I tried them once many years back and and didnt rate them.

Scott from his bass lessons site demoed a few and really liked the sound.

Edited by Hobbayne

I do. They would not be my only string, but if I can have a spare bass with them, I like that.

The black nylons vary quite a bit. The Rotosound TruBass are thumpy and woody sounding... if you want a double bass vibe, these are the ones. The D'Addario ones are very nice. I use those on my fretless Precision. You can still get a very thumpy vibe, but they have a lot more going on and you can get a very nice thick sound with them. They feel very nice too. I've recently tried Status ones (apparently made by Picato but I don't have direct evidence) and they sound very nice but they're a little soft and flimsy feeling. It takes a bit to get used to them, but they sound good.

But my absolute favourites are Labella White Nylons. They are not like the others I mentioned. They retain more of a rounds vibe, with a tamer top end, so you can get a very nice slap tone with these if you wanted to (just not the very zingy ones ala Marcus Miller etc), and they have a very nice thick but defined bottom end and low mids. They're also very low tension, which can feel a bit strange at first, but you get used to it, and they are very responsive. They feel great. You can still get the duller sound of other nylons with these, but they give you a lot more options.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mcnach said:

But my absolute favourites are Labella White Nylons. They are not like the others I mentioned. They retain more of a rounds vibe, with a tamer top end, so you can get a very nice slap tone with these if you wanted to (just not the very zingy ones ala Marcus Miller etc), and they have a very nice thick but defined bottom end and low mids. They're also very low tension, which can feel a bit strange at first, but you get used to it, and they are very responsive. They feel great. You can still get the duller sound of other nylons with these, but they give you a lot more options.

A big fat +1 to this.  The La Bella white nylon strings are fab.

• Like 1

I've been using Labella black nylon tape wounds for the last couple of months and love them, they came in the case of a bass i bought so decided to give them a try.

I was really surprised how they sounded compared to what i expected, i would describe them as producing a very musical full range sound (just not twangy) if that makes any sense.

They are 60 -115 gauge which are a lot fatter than i was used to but the tension is really nice and playable.

Well worth a try.

I've been using the Status Tapewounds for a few years now...I've found them very addictive, to the point where I've fitted them to most of my basses. Be careful though, when you go back to steel/nickel strings you'll find them really harsh on the fingers and the tension feels somehow wrong.

I used them a few years ago on an acoustic Applause bass and they sounded and felt really good.  I've just ordered a set for my Chowny SWB-1 as I find even flat wounds to be too "zingy" to my ears.  Trying to find anyone who stocks medium length nylon covered strings is a good trick if you can do it.  I ordered some D'Addario ones from Amazon but they will email me when they are available!

1 hour ago, LeftyP said:

I used them a few years ago on an acoustic Applause bass and they sounded and felt really good.  I've just ordered a set for my Chowny SWB-1 as I find even flat wounds to be too "zingy" to my ears.  Trying to find anyone who stocks medium length nylon covered strings is a good trick if you can do it.  I ordered some D'Addario ones from Amazon but they will email me when they are available!

Status...

• Like 1

Got my first set of Rotosound tapes for £5 when a music shop closed down in 1983. Great thumpy sounds on a P-bass,everybody was playing rounds so I stood out.

These days it's Status or La Bella. I have the La Bella white and the older cooper ones called "white" but much prefer the look of black tapes so never tried them yret.