Why become a member? ×

Sparse basslines

josie

On 14/02/2018 at 09:14, Johnny Wishbone said:

Just remembered this belter!

loving this thread.

When anyone asks about my favourite bassists, or at least the one that got me started, Lenny Kravitz always comes to mind but I'm often to embarrassed to say so.  The usual bass 'legends' aren't what got me started, or what I listen to. Lenny K is a great shout here @johnny wishbone 

• Thanks 1

On the theme of simple, driving  bass playing that makes the song work: this belter!

Award winning but long-winded cinematic short rambles on but the song starts at 1:25. One of my favourite mini 'bass solo's' kicks in just after 3:15  :)

Listen as loud as you can!

Apologies that this is contributing to thread sliding from 'sparse' to 'simple'. There is an important difference I know. Just couldn't resist this one!

Edited by funkydoug
  • Like 1

On 12/02/2018 at 23:58, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Well, I'm going to offer this. Very sparse in terms of notes used and it's the same pattern played over and over. But it's not about the bass line, its about how it works with everything else that's going on around it.

I must have listen to this thousands of times since it's release and I never bore of it. Utterly magical.

...and it isn't Tina playing the line either.  Both bassists make that work for me.  The tune would be nothing without that line.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 13/02/2018 at 22:09, Hobbayne said:

No mention yet for John McVie and his simple but effective two note bass line on this track.

Much overlooked, John McVie. Solid as a rock for the whole song and then he drops that playful little riff at 2.21. I love those little moments of joy in music 😊

• Like 2

I think @Barking Spiders has already mentioned Hold Your Head Up by Argent. Funnily enough that's one of my favourite songs from our list. The same simple riff goes on for ages almost like a drone, eventually building up to some different notes, then back to the riff :D

Sometimes the simple/sparse riffs are the ones that need the most concentration to play

3 hours ago, Norris said:

Sometimes the simple/sparse riffs are the ones that need the most concentration to play

Absolutely! I can never understand why some players have disdain for simple lines, especially if they are essential to the song. 

This song was a big hit in the states in 72 when I was a young fellow. The track's throbbing base line was played by Jim Rodford. Rod Argent's organ solo is a masterpiece, and has been called "The greatest organ solo of all time" by Rick Wakeman.   Although Rodmon was the vocalist for much of ARGENT's tracks, guitarist Russ Ballard sang lead on this one.