Why become a member? ×

New drive from Origin Effect

krispn

• 2 weeks later...

Well it sounds like just a week to go before they finish their 'strip tease'! (Thanks goodness!)

It looks like it's going to have a footprint = 2 x Cali 76 CB and literally twice the number of knobs (i.e. 12) plus a host of switches on top. So a relatively big complicated beast with (??) no presets...and aimed at guitarists rather than bass players, right?

Without seeing the actual knobs I’m guessing its a twin channel pedal-they hint that the bronze knobs are for a reason which will be revealed in due course- I’m guessing Marshall voice and Fender voice. 

If you look at the controls on the bronze side ’m guessing there will be a switchable mid  with freq and boost option like a Marshall in a box pedal. The Silver side will be like a Fender with options to tweak. I’m sure the idea is to set and forget each side with the ability to fine tune the five little mini screws on the fly too and maybe an ability to tune it to your rig too. Top controls are likely BMT with dry mix in the middle on the bottom. The other two I’m not sure about. 

There will likely be four more reveals with the preorder coming on the first. 

I suppose two finely tuned drives to suit you rig is plenty I.e. for rhythm/lead but it does have the guitarist dream pedal vibe rather than being a universal drive. We shall await the video reviews. I’m sure it’ll be great but maybe not perfect for bass. 

That makes a lot of sense as they refer on the switches to "US"  and "UK" and that, as you say, would tie into Fender (cleaner) and Marshall (more gritty). Very much agree with you that would suggest it's definitely aimed at the guitarist rather than the bass player.

I suppose the equivalent switch for bass would be "German" and "US" (Delano and Nordstrand) or "US" and "German" (Aguilar and MEC) or...

Five little mini screws to fine tune does sound very last century, though :) 

Edited by Al Krow

Actually it makes perfect sense to have externally mounted ‘tweak switches’ rather than internally like the Way Huge pedals or the MXR BOD. Easy to be changed on the fly with a plectrum but not at the mercy of a wayward boot or the need of a screw driver.

@Kev Because we're in a world where people buy things 'cause the internet tells them to. A look through their facebook comments suggest at least 200 people who would've ordered this before even knowing what it was! Crazy...

Yup it’s a defo a high end amp in a box. I suppose the tech involved, the R&D and the fact it’s offering something ‘new’. If I recall the Cali-TX was about £500 and that is effectively a ‘less featured’ product.

I’ve no doubt it’ll be fantastic and could well be the amp in a box many guitarist are hoping for. I don’t think it’ll be the pedal many bassists were hoping for though.

Edited by krispn

'The RevivalDRIVE is designed to recreate a wide range of British and American guitar amp tones. Even though aspects of this pedal will sound great with bass, we also have a bass player voiced design currently in development, with further details being announced later in 2018.'

Yeah I thought they might do a more ‘universal’ drive pedal but the specificity of the comp line did have me thinking a bass specific version might come along. I’ll be holding off to see what they come out with.

Edited by krispn