Why become a member? ×

New drive from Origin Effect

krispn

Yeah, the comp was pretty special and I don't recall the expensive versions coming out until the Standard was well received.

They are diving in at a very high price for an overdrive pedal with zero pedigree.  Makes Darkglass look cheap as chips :DxD

They had both the TX and non TX versions from day one plus you could pick which TX to go for, their own or Lundhal. I think the high price is because of the rep they hav ebuilt up with the Cali range. Origin Effects are the pedigree as much as the product. A bold move indeed I agree!

Just now, krispn said:

They had both the TX and non TX versions from day one plus you could pick which TX to go for, their own or Lundhal. I think the high price is because of the rep they hav ebuilt up with the Cali range. Origin Effects are the pedigree as much as the product. A bold move indeed I agree!

I stand corrected.  As an owner of a TX, you'd thought I'd know but there you go! xD

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, knicknack said:

@Kev Because we're in a world where people buy things 'cause the internet tells them to. A look through their facebook comments suggest at least 200 people who would've ordered this before even knowing what it was! Crazy...

Thats why i have a Cali 76 that i dont use lol.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

836380248_OriginDrive.thumb.JPG.65a40822c73782b96d5f02db5a293cc0.JPG 

@krispn was passing by a store in Denmark St (Laaandern) who perchance had the gubbins at the top of the picture (unlike the Yammy store, who still don't). Spotted this pedal and thought of you...didn't have time to try out. Maybe next time, although at £549 it's not something I'll be getting any time soon! 😄

Edited by Al Krow

23 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

@bobbass4k In addition it actually states its valve styled in its description , and I am sure for brevity says valve rectifier on one side and silicone on the other instead of valve styled and solid state....

If are inclined toward pedantry, "Valve Rectifier" is 3 more letters than "Valve Styled" and the same length as "Valve Emulation", so brevity is perhaps not the principal agenda. Its just something that annoys me is all, so much of the boutique industry is built around an almost ubiquitous snake oil thesaurus that essentially exploits ignorance. But, 'twas ever thus, just annoys me. The microtubes name too yes ("Red Llama with some fancy EQing" probably didn't fit on the box).

@bobbass4k completely get you on what you were saying and I was a little brief myself snatching messages at work so I meant they didn’t write ‘valve styled rectifier’ which would be longer.

Anywho, I don’t like Mis-selling either, but they do very clearly state in their description of the pedal on the website that it is an all transistor based circuit with no valves at all, and quash any potential misnunderstandings.

With regard to your point I suppose the same thing happens in rugby teams I find slightly annoying in I am sure there are Not many actual Sharks in Manchester nor have they found a lost species of Bear in Bristol unless they are counting me with a sore head after cider 

3 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

@bobbass4k

Anywho, I don’t like Mis-selling either, but they do very clearly state in their description of the pedal on the website that it is an all transistor based circuit with no valves at all, and quash any potential misnunderstandings.

It's just an odd way to make the distinction that (I think) exploits misconceptions about electronics (Silicon = modern and harsh, Valves = warm and vintage). If you have one side labelled "Silicon Rectifier" and another side labelled something else when it also (almost certainly) also uses Silicon rectifiers, I find that deliberate. No harm though, they clearly know their market and I'm sure it'll sell great.

3 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

With regard to your point I suppose the same thing happens in rugby teams I find slightly annoying in I am sure there are Not many actual Sharks in Manchester nor have they found a lost species of Bear in Bristol unless they are counting me with a sore head after cider 

Yes I'm sure the Microtubes name is just for vivid imagery and Mr. Darkglass would be livid if anybody bought the pedal because the name made them think it would make them sound like a tube amp...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobbass4k said:

It's just an odd way to make the distinction that (I think) exploits misconceptions about electronics (Silicon = modern and harsh, Valves = warm and vintage). If you have one side labelled "Silicon Rectifier" and another side labelled something else when it also (almost certainly) also uses Silicon rectifiers, I find that deliberate. No harm though, they clearly know their market and I'm sure it'll sell great.

Yes I'm sure the Microtubes name is just for vivid imagery and Mr. Darkglass would be livid if anybody bought the pedal because the name made them think it would make them sound like a tube amp...

It's an interesting discussion (well to me anyway!) you boys are touching on.

You would hope that anyone looking to fork out £549 on a dirt pedal would be savvy enough not to be taken in by Origin's very loose terminology and if they weren't then they probably had more money than sense? I originally thought Origin were going for a cleaner Fender sound (Silicon) and warmer Marshall sound (Valve) with this pedal but would have been very aware they couldn't use those terms without getting their asses kicked in court!

Must admit the fact that my DGM900 has got a 'Microtubes' dirt engine never once made me think that it might be producing a delicious warm valve amp sound. The very much stronger association of Darkglass, for me, was with their reputation for 'metallic / mid scooped / top end fizz'. (Aside: that has held true for my bright jazzy Nord pups particularly where my cabs have a tweeter; although still definitely better than no dirt when dirt has been required and I've been without a pedal board! However I've been pleasantly surprised when using Yamaha P pups, which are more mid heavy, and seem to work really well with DG dirt).

@Al Krow you have hit the nail on the head.

I have read somewhere someone asking if there were tiny tubes in the DG stuff.....

Coming to associating sounds with a product, typically an opinion (not incorrectly) will be made in the evidence out there on whatever social media internet format. Sometimes a read between the lines or a leap of faith is required to decide what it actually can bring to the party differently dialled in and played in your own style.

The classic example is Patrick Hunter seems to make every pedal sound exactly the same, so I never bother watching his floppy string demo’s, it’s pointless