Why become a member? ×

Any The Cure fans here?

The Cure were one of the bands that really sold the idea of Bass to me, before I'd ever played a note. Seventeen Seconds and Faith in particular, but I still have the original wax of everything through to Disintegration, even though I lost interest a bit during the 'Pop' era. Simon Gallup could make any 4 note line sound awesome.

3 minutes ago, 2elliot said:

A mix of great bass lines and fantastic background noise. I really like his simple take.

Distortion, chorus, flanger... what more does a bass player need. 

Quite. As a drummer from way back used to be fond of saying - KISS.

Keep It Simple Stupid

No i wouldn't !  I always thought he was a Parker Fly lover. He certainly was in Tinmen, IIRC

Take another look at Smiths Schecter - it looks suspiciously like its been strung as a Baritone.  Maybe thats exactly what those Schecters are ??

Edited by fleabag

3 minutes ago, fleabag said:

No i wouldn't !

Take another look at Smiths Schecter - it looks suspiciously like its been strung as a Baritone.  Maybe thats exactly what those Schecters are ??

I'm glad you said that. I kept looking at the strings on his guitar and thought they looked aa bit on the chubby side. That would explain it.

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

I saw them live at Glastonbury (1984?) - before that I'd sort of ignored them - fuelled mainly by the video in the wardrobe falling off a cliff. They were excellent.

If you can find a copy of "Standing on the Beach" you're pretty much getting a tour of their early hits. Could do worse.

I saw them 1990 at Glastonbury and I’m sure I remember the crowd making room for a helicopter to land to pick up a casualty  - although granted it was Glastonbury and I could have hallucinated the whole thing 😳

2 hours ago, TheGreek said:

If you can find a copy of "Standing on the Beach" you're pretty much getting a tour of their early hits. Could do worse.

Depending on format, this album changes name, either 'Standing on a beach' or 'Staring at the sea'. If you can find it on cassette then you will get most of the B sides to the singles on, well, side B. And some/most  of their B sides could easily have been singles. 

Last time I looked they were all on YouTube, look up 'A man inside my mouth', 'The exploding boy', 'Throw your foot' or a very early one 'I'm cold'. All amazing songs to resign to B sides. 

3 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Ha ha. Wish is the only CD album I have. I remember picking that up because I heard Friday I'm In Love and thought that was good, but the whole album is so much better.

I saw them on the 'Wish' tour at Cornwall Coliseum, absolutely amazing, they just played and played, did an encore, and then came back for a second encore which was another five or six songs. 

8 hours ago, Billy Apple said:

I started with all the early stuff. I really liked The Top, that doesn't get much props, but it was the tour when I first saw them. You can't go far wrong with Disintegration.

Just spotted the 3 Disc Deluxe version of Disintegration on Google Play, so that's going to be my first purchase 👍

I love the cure, but I think they are a shining example on the fact that the masses listen with their eyes and not their ears. It always confused me that they were labelled a goth band when so much of their output is very joyful! People looked at their image more than they listened to their music.

26 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

I used to go to school with their manager’s daughter so got to see them numerous times and still love them. 

Disintengration is my favourite album but if you can find it, take a look at The Cure in Orange. It’s a filmed concert they did in the late 80’s and well worth a watch

Yes, I think I saw that listed on You Tube. That might be tonight's entertainment sorted. Thanks 👍

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Yes, I think I saw that listed on You Tube. That might be tonight's entertainment sorted. Thanks 👍

They’re not the most interesting lot to look at live 😀 but for me, Three Imaginary Boys, Boys Don’t Cry, Shake Dog Shake and Robert Smith’s Bass VI solo on Faith are stand out tracks in this film. I get goosebumps just thinking about them ☺️

5 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Just spotted the 3 Disc Deluxe version of Disintegration on Google Play, so that's going to be my first purchase 👍

Looks like you get the live album 'Entreat' with that, I used to love that album when it came out and recently repurchased it on CD. 

The live version of Fascination Street on that one has so much energy, they really are a great live band. 

57 minutes ago, Maude said:

Looks like you get the live album 'Entreat' with that, I used to love that album when it came out and recently repurchased it on CD. 

The live version of Fascination Street on that one has so much energy, they really are a great live band. 

Yes, looks like a great set. Quality original album and some great bonus material.

57 minutes ago, fleabag said:

I think Bob Smith is interesting to watch.  He's a natural oddball and a fascinating frontman

Yes, very much so. I might have missed something, but after Thompson left and Gabriel's joined, did the band attempt anything live with just RS on guitar duties? He made a comment that he missed having a wing man (guitarist) which tends to suggest they did. If so, how did that turn out?

I loved some of the early singles, 10.15 Saturday Night, Jumping Someone Elses Train, Forest, Boys Don't Cry etc but much as others have said on here, for me they were a great singles band, on the whole their albums don't excite me, I have seen a couple of live shows on TV over the years and they have convinced me that I wouldn't enjoy seeing them live....much as with the Damned I find them very self indulgent live which just doesn't do it for me