Why become a member? ×

Marketplace - seller location

Phil_T

Just now, leftybassman392 said:

Why?

Genuine question.

I like to see whether it's nearby, for collection.

If I see something I like, I'd want to try it, but finding it's in Aberdeen (I'm in Berks) means it's a no-go.

Same with wanteds - someone might be after something and I might have one I'm not sure about selling, so I could say pop around and have a look-see.

Just now, prowla said:

If I see something I like, I'd want to try it, but finding it's in Aberdeen (I'm in Berks) means it's a no-go.

Same with wanteds - someone might be after something and I might have one I'm not sure about selling, so I could say pop around and have a look-see.

A quick PM does the trick.

1 minute ago, Dan Dare said:

A quick PM does the trick.

Agreed, but surely it's easier with some rough idea ( eg County ) to save everybody's time?

I'm with Prowla, if it's within say 40 miles then I'm far more likely to be seriously interested, and PM ing every advert 

I like the look of is too much of a wild goose chase for me, given the wide location of our BC brethren.

1 minute ago, prowla said:

Granted it's a good idea if a seller is serious about selling stuff, but a requirement?

I'm really not trying to obtuse about this (and in one respect it is a picky little technical point), but to require someone to say where they live on pain of not being allowed to advertise...? Really?

It's a marketplace FFS; people buy stuff they often don't need with money they often don't have to spare.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, casapete said:

Agreed, but surely it's easier with some rough idea ( eg County ) to save everybody's time?

I'm with Prowla, if it's within say 40 miles then I'm far more likely to be seriously interested, and PM ing every advert 

I like the look of is too much of a wild goose chase for me, given the wide location of our BC brethren.

Fair enough, but how many items do you spot in the average day that you are interested in? For me, it will be one, maybe two a week at most, so the time spent sending "where are you" messages is minimal (I've just sent someone that very question). Those who deal and buy a lot of stuff to sell on should accept that a small amount of effort may be needed to find something they can turn a profit on.

On most of the Facebook pages for selling musical gear, the requirements are -

Price / Location / Picture.

Any ads not showing these are usually not allowed , or deleted if when pointed out the advertiser doesn't agree.

Seems fair enough to me.

9 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

You full of the joys of Christmas lefty?  lol

Well I've had a week of dealing with a fairly shitty little virus, while at the same time having to drive 200 miles down to Kent and back to see my sister who has had a major fall at home and has spent the entire period in hospital (with at least as much again to come - on top of a lifelong history of spending far too much time in hospitals of one sort or another), not to mention some medical issues with Mrs. LBM over the same period. So no Pete, I'm not really full of the joys of Christmas right now.

That's not the point though. Anybody with half a brain cell would know that telling people where you are is a good idea. Compelling them to do so is overkill IMHO, and while I'm on the subject I still haven't read a convincing justification for having this compunction included. Maybe I've missed something though, which I'm sure some helpful BC member will point me to.

59 minutes ago, casapete said:

Yep - that's it.

57 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

Granted it's a good idea if a seller is serious about selling stuff, but a requirement?

I'm really not trying to obtuse about this (and in one respect it is a picky little technical point), but to require someone to say where they live on pain of not being allowed to advertise...? Really?

It's a marketplace FFS; people buy stuff they often don't need with money they often don't have to spare.

It's my opinion, not a demand!

I look at the buy & sell pages on a lot of sites and I tend to pass by the ones which don't have the info readily available; if things don't at least show a price, location, and photos, then I'll probably move on.

I don't know about pain of life, but if you want to sell something, it's probably an idea to make it easy for your potential buyers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

It's your opinion that the site should demand location information. Or have I missed something?

Yes - it's my opinion that the site should require it, but it's not my demand that the site must require it.

Isn't that what the OP's question is asking?

Whether the site owners/admins decide to do it or not do it, it's their choice.