Why become a member? ×

Bargain Bass Rigs

la bam

Hi all,

My main set up is:

Yamaha bb424x red.

Mark bass evo 1 amp.

Barefaced super compact g3.

Love it. All the sounds i need, in a powerful light package.

However, im always on the look out for backup gear, but this has developed into a quality second rig which i can use at different practices / jams and rough gigs! Consists of:

Yamaha bb424 black (bought on here for a bargain £100 in excellent condition).

Ashdown little giant 1000 (bought on ebay for a bargain £100 in excellent condition).

Cab - tbc but theres SO many bargains out there it wont be long.

Entire second rig will cost about £250.

So....what entire rigs have you managed to get together on the cheap?

There are many options available used if you acquire a decent 12" cab, a reliable power amp and a Behringer BDI-21... :) Pre-amp can be upgraded as funds allow, i.e. VT Bass, Zoom, Helix, etc. Modular, cheap, upgradable and can be very powerful if you buy an amp than can be mono bridged.

I few years back i used to use a fretless Bass Collection SB301 which cost me £100 secondhand, with a secondhand bitsa cabinet made of a GK Backline 1x15 box with a newer Eminence speaker inside (about £150 all in ) and an Ashdown Mag 300 head which cost me about £200 new.

Good rig for £450 all in. Did plenty of gigs with that.

32 minutes ago, Bolo said:

I used a hartke 3500 with a Peavey txf 410 for a bit. Between 200 and 300 bucks total I think and great sound! The bass I used was a Korean MTD 5 string.

I had exactly the same setup for a while, and loved it. Amp was £100, cab £70 IIRC. Only thing was the Peavey weighed

more than the van that transported it I think.....

Used it with a Jap Squier Precision which cost around £120, so a proper rig for less than £300. Gigged this for ages, and sold 

everything at least for what I paid for it too! Probably a big mistake though but the dreaded GAS had struck me badly.

I could easily get a perfectly giggable setup for under 200 cabbage. In fact, you could probably push it under 150 if you could afford to wait for the deals to appear. 

My #1 bass was 250 second hand, and my amp was 200 quid second hand. So, even my current 'decent' setup was pretty cheap! 

23 hours ago, discreet said:

There are many options available used if you acquire a decent 12" cab, a reliable power amp and a Behringer BDI-21... :) Pre-amp can be upgraded as funds allow, i.e. VT Bass, Zoom, Helix, etc. Modular, cheap, upgradable and can be very powerful if you buy an amp than can be mono bridged.

Any suggestions for a decent power amp? I'm considering this route when I retire the Little Mark.

1 minute ago, Horizontalste said:

Any suggestions for a decent power amp? I'm considering this route when I retire the Little Mark.

Pretty much anything by Crown; Thomann's own t.amp range gets good reviews. For a good power/cost ratio, this caught my eye:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tamp_e800.htm?ref=search_rslt_t.amp+800_173889_0

According to the PDF manual, it can be bridged to mono giving you a very usable 800W. Though 350W per channel at 8 ohms and 500W per channel at 4 ohms isn't too shabby anyway. It's 11kg, which isn't exactly lightweight and it won't fit in your pocket, but it's a reliable lump by all accounts and very affordable.

9 minutes ago, discreet said:

Pretty much anything by Crown; Thomann's own t.amp range gets good reviews. For a good power/cost ratio, this caught my eye:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tamp_e800.htm?ref=search_rslt_t.amp+800_173889_0

According to the PDF manual, it can be bridged to mono giving you a very usable 800W. Though 350W per channel at 8 ohms and 500W per channel at 4 ohms isn't too shabby anyway. It's 11kg, which isn't exactly lightweight and it won't fit in your pocket, but it's a reliable lump by all accounts and very affordable.

That's as cheap as chips, think I might just have to take a chance in the new year. Could always keep the LM handy as a backup.

Cheers :-)

22 minutes ago, Horizontalste said:

That's as cheap as chips, think I might just have to take a chance in the new year.

There are lots of options. W Audio make some good 1U size power amps if space (or weight) is a problem. I used a 2U Crown power amp with a Zoom B3 for ages, it sounded immense. The great thing about power amps is that you can choose whatever 'tone' you fancy simply by adjusting (or changing) your preamp of choice. Having all that clean power as a given is very useful. I moved it on only because I got sucked into the 'lightweight amp' craze, something I'm about to rebel against...

Edited by discreet

4 minutes ago, discreet said:

There are lots of options. W Audio make some good 1U size power amps if space (or weight) is a problem. I used a 2U Crown power amp with a Zoom B3 for ages, it sounded immense. The great thing about power amps is that you can choose whatever 'tone' you fancy simply by adjusting (or changing) your preamp of choice. Having all that clean power as a given is very useful. I moved it on only because I got sucked into the 'lightweight amp' craze, something I'm about to rebel against...

It makes perfect sense to me, especially as the prices of decent lightweight heads are getting ridiculous. I have a Sansamp pedal gathering dust upstairs so I think I'll look seriously at power amps in the new year, a 1u would be perfect.

At seventeen years old I bought a Peavey bass amp with infinite power for a tenner. It was at my guitarists house and the previous bass player and owner of the amp had fallen out with him and wouldn't go round to get it. I went to college with the brother of the amps owner and he did a deal with me for a tenner because it needed a repair... That cost me fifteen quid. So twenty five quid for a beast of a gigging bass amp! I also played a Tanglewood p bass that was £150 new but got a Kramer five string fretless for £240ish new shortly after. That was over fifteen years ago now though.