Why become a member? ×

Bruce Thomas

ivansc

First encountered him playing with my old drummer Willie Wilson and Tim Renwick  (both Cambridge lads)  in Quiver, later The Sutherland Brothers and Quiver.

So he buggered off to join  Elvis Costello and the Attractions  & the resultant search for a replacement bass player gave Ace their  number one hit "how long has this been going on?" written by Paul Carrack, keyboard & vocalist in the band about the rumour that SBQ were trying to poach Ace's bass player, Tex Comer.  He also did pretty good on his own and singing for acts like Mike and  the Mechanics, didn't he?

Interesting that Bruce is known mostly for playing a precision but he didnt get into P-bassing until he left SBQ. Always used a short scale Fender bass with them.  

One of the busiest bass players out there at the time, but somehow it always seemed to fit.  And these days nobody ever mentions him.

• Like 1

I owned the P bass he bought from The Bass Centre to replace his stolen one for some years and then moved it on in these very pages. Suffice to say I played a few Attractions tunes on it and it sounded marvellous (even though it was me playing it). BT had really inventive bass lines and is/was obviously a very talented player. However, it seems he fell out of love with playing and became more involved with his writing, with tales of the music biz and Bruce Lee. I did hear tell that The Bass Centre we’re going to do a BT sig bass, but I don’t know what became of that.