Why become a member? ×

Songs to suit a trio

tonybassplayer

As a side project I recently formed a trio with a good drummer and a singer guitarist who at the moment has got the lions share of the learning to do as he is doing all the vocals and all the guitar parts and I want to try to push things along a lot faster by trying to get another half dozen or so songs in the set that involve minimal learning on the guitar but mean I may have a bit of work to do.

As an example I have recently suggested Start by the Jam as it is a great bass song and I think the guitar part will be relatively easy. We are also doing things like Riverboat Song by OCS and Joe Jackson's Is She Really Going Out With Him

Anyone suggest any good pop/rock songs that would fit this criteria but are not overplayed in pubs ??

Many thanks in advance, I am confident that there will be some brilliant suggestions rolling in soon.

Tony

For a bit of variety, have a listen to [i]Sitting On Top Of The World[/i] by Cream.

There are loads of versions out there, but the original album track is still the best (IMO).

At the other end of the spectrum, had you considered [i]Sitting Waiting Wishing[/i] by Jack Johnson?

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='326971' date='Nov 11 2008, 05:59 PM']anything trios with a singer/guitarist should really do the trick. something like greenday or blink 182?[/quote]

^^

I was going to suggest pretty much any modern pop-punk band, 95% of them are singer-guitarists when they're three piece's.

[quote name='Buzz' post='327011' date='Nov 11 2008, 06:57 PM']^^

I was going to suggest pretty much any modern pop-punk band, 95% of them are singer-guitarists when they're three piece's.[/quote]

Dare I say that Bob Mould's band Sugar did the "modern pop-punk band" sound a decade or more ago, except that Sugar had much better songwriting than I hear from the copyists.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ku23nZkukE&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ku23nZkukE...feature=related[/url]

Sugar was a three-piece, and their debut album is full of cracking tunes.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Bigwan' post='326502' date='Nov 11 2008, 08:42 AM']Some John Mayer Trio perhaps?[/quote]

I was about to suggest this... but the phrase 'easy on guitar' in the suject heading made me reconsider :)

if you can encourage your guitarist to put in the time however, there's an awesome repertoire to work at there (have you heard 'Where The Light Is' yet Bigwan?)

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='327266' date='Nov 12 2008, 07:58 AM']Dare I say that Bob Mould's band Sugar did the "modern pop-punk band" sound a decade or more ago, except that Sugar had much better songwriting than I hear from the copyists.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ku23nZkukE&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ku23nZkukE...feature=related[/url]

Sugar was a three-piece, and their debut album is full of cracking tunes.[/quote]

His earlier band Husker Du were also a 3 piece and had some cracking pop/punk tunes. Police. Early Joe Jackson has some great guitar/bass/drums tunes with occasional piano thrown in.

Can I just go against the consensus here and suggest you look at songs you like from any source and try and arrange them for a 3 piece?
With the exception of Bohemian Rhapsody and I'm Not in Love (OK and maybe a few 1000 more!) there must be any number of songs that could benefit from a fairly basic arrangement?
I appreciate what you have said about the guitarist having the lions share to do but it could be worth just going for songs you like rather than trying to unearth bass-heavy guitar-light songs?
I could however be horribly, horribly wrong but it works for us: come along and see!

Unashamed plug: The Old Tramshed, Saltaire, Thursday 13th November 8.30!

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='bassmandan' post='327616' date='Nov 12 2008, 02:17 PM']I was about to suggest this... but the phrase 'easy on guitar' in the suject heading made me reconsider :)

if you can encourage your guitarist to put in the time however, there's an awesome repertoire to work at there (have you heard 'Where The Light Is' yet Bigwan?)[/quote]

The DVD should be in the post to me as we speak!

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='327690' date='Nov 12 2008, 03:43 PM']Can I just go against the consensus here and suggest you look at songs you like from any source and try and arrange them for a 3 piece?[/quote]

Good point, lot's of 4 piece bands have a non playing singer making them in the same boat as you.

+ on the song first.

Easy Gutar? Hummmm how about "well chosen" guitar parts.

Rhythm Stick (or is that too commonly done?)

You don't always need all the stuff that was on the record, Bowie did a version of Space Oddity with just a 12 string guitar,
and a bunch of "unplugged" version of things .. Lets Dance, anyone?

Bass and drums and a bit of good funk chording during the singing would easily carry that one.
Sound and Vision works well too.

Used to be a three-piece in Bristol many years ago called The Fred Quimby Big Band, (cartoon fans) who did Louis Jordan's Reet Petite and Caledonia in a loud raucous rock stlyeee.
I've played River Deep, Mountain High in bands of many sizes including duo plus drummer in a box. That works.

Edited by OldGit