Why become a member? ×

Donald Fagan & Co..

bubinga5

I recently wrote a thread on Steely Dan and how much i love these fantastic musicians..I erm... also want to share my love for Donald Fagan..After a long time ( since New Zealand in 1984) i had a listen to The Night Fly..I know there are alot of love for Donald and the Brecker Bro's here..

I would recognise Donalds voice anywhere..
I for one love there/his chord progressions, so creative.He must have some of the best bass players who have ever lived on that album..Will Lee, Marcus Miller, Abraham Laboriel, Anthony Jackson, Chuck Rainey, how many greats can you get on one album for god sake.. Green Flower Street always picks me up..

Ruby Ruby when will you be mine.

Been amongst my fave albums since the day I bought it. Larry Carlton's guitar playing - wonderful.

Great that something jazz based reached a pop/rock audience.

I'm a big fan of his 'conversational' lyrics too. Good examples being 'New Frontier' - which is a chat up line set to music. My fave line's got to be in 'The Goodbye Look' where's we realise he's obviously moping in a bar from the toss off line 'Won't you pour me a Cuban Breeze , Gretchen'. Fantastic.

Walk between the Raindrops annoys me - never yet played the bass line and not made it sound like it goes off key!

+1000

Whenever I'm stuck for something to play, I end up with [i]Ruby Baby[/i] and [i]New Frontier[/i] or the more Fagen-influenced Steely Dan tracks like [i]FM[/i] and [i]Hey Nineteen[/i].

That combination of groove (for God's sake, don't mention "the pocket") and structure is just irresistable.

Yep, Donald Fagen is a real hero of mine. I really really dig Morph the Cat, too - especially "Mona" and a few others. Interestingly, in a toss-up between Kamakiriad and Nightfly, I would probably plump for Kamikiriad.

I have a single which has a bass, drums and vox only version of Snowbound - Beckers playing is fantastic, as is his tone. Absolutely tremendous.

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='324804' date='Nov 8 2008, 02:35 PM']The Fez is a favourite of mine,very nice,simple and effective bass line if ever there was one. :)[/quote]

And also sampled by All Saints some years back!

[quote name='lonestar' post='324812' date='Nov 8 2008, 02:45 PM']Try and get hold of Donald Fagen & The New York Rock and Soul Review
live at the Beacon in NYC. Fantastic stuff[/quote]

Wicked CD, with Will Lee on bass, and Mike McDonald!

[quote name='Mike' post='324926' date='Nov 8 2008, 06:49 PM']And also sampled by All Saints some years back!

Wicked CD, with Will Lee on bass, and Mike McDonald![/quote]

Thanks Mike
It's a great lineup isn't it. I didn't know Will Lee played on there. I love the Phoebe Snow version of Shaky Ground.
Will lee is one of those names I know of,( mainly from Harke and Fender ads) of but will have to investigate further.

If Donald Fagen and friends did this again i think I'd sell my car book a flight and go.

Mike

I just happened to have 'Steely Dan - Alive In America' playing when I saw this post.
'The Nightfly' is an all-time favourite for me too. Still have the original vinyl as well as the CD and never get tired of playing it (or along with it).
No offence tauzero, but +1 to everyone else's comments here prior to this. :)

Alive in America appears to be contentious, but I love it!

Killing solo on Green Earrings, great versions of Peg and WB's Book of Liars....and new life breathed in Babylon Sisters.

Some tracks were overdubbed in the studio, unfortunately, but still excellent!

I always liked Tom Barney's bassplaying, but I'm really digging Ready Freddie Washington. He's a great player! Would love to see WB play bass at some point - this might happen (possibly) if he does some solo gigs, but I'm not holding out.

[quote name='tauzero' post='325096' date='Nov 9 2008, 01:37 AM']So am I the only person to have listened to "Night Fly" after seeing it lauded to the high heavens and found it tedious and bland?[/quote]

It happens.

I never really "got it" with quite a few humoungously popular and influential musicians/bands, while being perfectly prepared to defend others who my friends all laughed/sneered at.

Fagen's style is so laid-back and subtle that you rarely get the whole picture from one or two listens. There's very little [i]rush[/i] but - once you know what you're looking for - loads of [i]buzz[/i]. Think cricket vs football (or perhaps coke vs speed :) ).

There's loads of great music out there so if Donald really doesn't do it for you, probably best listen to something else. But I promise you, he's worth persevering with.

[quote name='Mike' post='325100' date='Nov 9 2008, 02:04 AM']Alive in America appears to be contentious, but I love it!

Killing solo on Green Earrings, great versions of Peg and WB's Book of Liars....and new life breathed in Babylon Sisters.

Some tracks were overdubbed in the studio, unfortunately, but still excellent![/quote]

Hmm, I never thought of 'Alive In America' as being contentious; maybe I missed a previous BC topic on this.
Good live album in my book, all the same.

[quote name='Mike' post='325169' date='Nov 9 2008, 10:47 AM']I always liked Tom Barney's bassplaying, but I'm really digging Ready Freddie Washington. He's a great player! Would love to see WB play bass at some point - this might happen (possibly) if he does some solo gigs, but I'm not holding out.[/quote]

Amen to every single word of that!! :)

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='325388' date='Nov 9 2008, 05:04 PM']Nah - I think you'll find they're cool, not miserable. :huh: :)[/quote]

Let's be fair , poor Donald's no oil painting is he. Gives hope to the most donkey faced of us that a bloke with talent can still sell shed loads while having a face like a welders bench!!

I recall him being asked how SD had changed over the years - he said 'We have much more professional hair cuts' !!

[quote name='MB1' post='325870' date='Nov 10 2008, 01:01 PM']MB1. :)
I stepped upon the platform the man gave me the news,....he said.... "you must be jokin' son where did you get those shoes?" ......Care for a Pretzel?:huh:[/quote]
Hmm, I'm sure there's some logic to your post....! (ouch! :huh: )