Why become a member? ×

Help re String slap noise

Papabull

It might be a good idea to give your location; there may be a BCer local to you who could give some 'hand's on' tips, either at your place or his..? Setting up a bass is not that difficult (assuming it not to be busted or really bad quality...), but best to have the instrument present, and someone competent to show how it's done. Worth a try, maybe..?

I was going to say that it sounds like you should try playing with a lighter touch, but if you have basses with a similar action, then maybe it's the neck relief that may need adjusted. Also worth checking if the bridge needs adjusted & if the neck needs a shim added/removed.

[quote name='ThePapabull' timestamp='1506732807' post='3380805']
Thanks tro all
ps Im [b]in newport s wales[/b]
[/quote][quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1506761870' post='3380913']
Look for a [b]BC member[/b], or a luthier near you [b]who can help with a proper set-up[/b].
[/quote]

Any kind gent (or lady...) able to help..? B)
There are also many bass tutors in the '[url="http://basschat.co.uk/forum/26-tutors-available/"]Tutors Available[/url]' section from Swansea, Bristol or South Wales in general. Maybe worth contacting one of them for advice..?

Edited by Dad3353

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='ThePapabull' timestamp='1506715685' post='3380703']
Can anyone help me reduce or silence the effect of string noise/slap. I'm guessing its because of the string height (which is low) and I like. I just don't like the noise (acoustic) that the string makes. I should point out that I'm playing finger style.

Cheers

paul h
[/quote]

Make sure you pluck the string by pulling it up parallel to the fingerboard and not by pressing the string towards it.

You might not need to raise the action (bridge saddle heights) much at all in order to reduce fret buzz and still maintain a low action. I wouldn't adjust the truss rod if it's just the action that's a bit too low and everything else is set correctly (relief, pickup height, intonation).

[quote name='ThePapabull' timestamp='1506720997' post='3380760']
Thanks for your response but I should've pointed out that this is a new bass (bought today)
I have other bass's where this is not a problem at all. I think it may be the neck (Truss rod adjustment) but not sure.
[/quote]

If you don't think you can do it yourself , take a bass you get on with and the new bass to a tech and ask him or her to copy the set up

Edited by lojo