Why become a member? ×

Powering an amp in a field..

Drax

I'm trying to achieve 2-3hrs max of power to my amp, without the need for a diesel generator.

Hoping there's either some Heath Robinson type solution with kit from Maplin / Halfords etc, or maybe just a more powerful battery amp option out there? (competing with drummer and horns, so don't believe the Phil Jones kit would cut it).

Open to all and any suggestions..

For what you're trying to do, a generator is the best and cheapest solution.

To get enough power from a battery and inverter would be expensive as well as useless to you after the gig. (And so-called leisure batteries are basically just starter batteries with a different label and a much higher price so best avoided.)

Hire or borrow a generator with double the power you need. This will greatly reduce the voltage and frequency fluctuations.

This is probably not what you want to hear. :)

Frank.

I use a laptop 19v external battery to power by PJB DoubleFour. It is surprisingly loud, and I get about 2/3 hours from a charge, if you would have 2 and switch half way through the set you would be fine....??

Edited by HazBeen

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1503403789' post='3357906']
I use a laptop 19v external battery to power by PJB DoubleFour. It is surprisingly loud, and I get about 2/3 hours from a charge, if you would have 2 and switch half way through the set you would be fine....??
[/quote]

Sorry for going slightly off topic. Can I ask what battery you use please?

THe last time I played in a field we used a generator to power everything (supplied by the venue). As the gig was in the late afternoon we didn't end up packing up until late evening. By then quite a heavy dew had settled and everything was just lying on the grass and dripping wet - the generator itself, all cables, extension leads and all the lighting rigs. We ended up switching everything off and packing up by car headlight.

Just something to be aware of. On that occasion a bit of forward planning and organisation could've avoided the risk of sudden death by electrocution.

Edited by DirkThrust

Field Generator?

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Just%20Stuff/Sundry/GravityFieldGenerator-AoSTA_zpshqpzdqod.png.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Just%20Stuff/Sundry/GravityFieldGenerator-AoSTA_zpshqpzdqod.png[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1503397688' post='3357838']

"And so-called leisure batteries are basically just starter batteries with a different label and a much higher price so best avoided"

[/quote]

Not so - they are totally different. A standard vehicle ie "starter" battery is not designed to be completely discharged and then recharged on a continuing basis. Yes, it will survive if treated this way on an occasional basis, but doing so regularly will drastically shorten it's life. A leisure battery is designed to withstand this type of treatment.

Thanks all, much clearer idea now.

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1503403789' post='3357906']
[/quote]

Cheers HB - I'd discounted the PJB as didn't think it would be loud enough. Does it cut past a drummer ?

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1503472354' post='3358430']
If your gig is anywhere near Hythe, Kent you can borrow my petrol generator. It's really small.
[/quote]

Thanks Ant - very decent of you to offer sir.. Since the original post, there's now two additional gigs we've got on a bloody boat - and apparently any fuel generators are off limits. Not sure how we're suddenly on the gaslight gig circuit..

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1503431932' post='3358243']
a Marine leisure battery & a Inverter , I use to use these to power key cutting machines in my van .
[/quote]

I think this what I'm going to end up with - pending anything revelatory about PJB double4.

To power my TH500, believe 110A battery should get me about 90mins.. It's also heavy enough to drown me, if it doesn't electrocute me first.

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1503653115' post='3359922']
Not so - they are totally different. A standard vehicle ie "starter" battery is not designed to be completely discharged and then recharged on a continuing basis. Yes, it will survive if treated this way on an occasional basis, but doing so regularly will drastically shorten it's life. A leisure battery is designed to withstand this type of treatment.
[/quote]

I'm afraid I disagree with you on this. The so-called "leisure batteries" are just as prone to a short life by repeated discharge as a starter battery is. The marketing suggests otherwise but it is untrue plus they decline to publish proper data. The construction is almost the same. For leisure use you need a proper traction battery, which will be expensive and heavy but will perform as designed.

I have spent my entire working life in the marine and offshore industry designing battery systems (amongst other electrical systems) and I have owned campervans for 30 years so I have lots of experience of "leisure batteries".

Don't be fooled by leisure batteries. :)

Frank.