Why become a member? ×

To change or not to change?

Froggy

One thing I still do after 15 years of gigs is write "cheat notes" on my set list, so I know what chords the bridge of certain songs moves to, etc. Even some of the no Brainers. It's a good backup for those moments where you are not fully sure and it can be hard to see the guitarists chord shapes. Helps me wing it anyhow! :)

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1498729302' post='3326573']
I'm not sure where this idea has come from that a week before a gig is too late to change strings?

Have i missed something? I've regularly changed mine the day before a gig - as long as you keep giving them a good stretch and play them a good bit before the gig they will have settled down and will stay in tune no problem. I did exactly that last weekend.

Quite whether the change in sound was appreciated by the punters is a different matter tho! I should have asked them both...
[/quote]

Indeed. You can change the strings right before the gig, it's fine (if you like that bright sound). A new string will be perfectly stable if you take a little care when you put it on. Don't put excessive unnecessary windings on the tuning post, ensure there's no slack, help create 'witness points' at the nut and bridge where the strings naturally bend... and you're ready to go. I don't even stretch them, I don't find that necessary if I was careful before... but it won't hurt and could help relieve some slack you may inadvertently introduce...

I'm not sure where this idea has come from that a week before a gig is too late to change strings?

Have i missed something? I've regularly changed mine the day before a gig - as long as you keep giving them a good stretch and play them a good bit before the gig they will have settled down and will stay in tune no problem. I did exactly that last weekend.

Quite whether the change in sound was appreciated by the punters is a different matter tho! I should have asked them both...
[/quote]

I don't think anyone is saying 'it's too late', exactly; just that, if they're not causing any problem, there's no need to change 'em, especially for a very first gig, where there are many more important details to be concentrating on. For more experienced players, changing strings (if necessary...) on the night causes no issues [i]per se[/i], but that's changing for a coherent reason, and in full knowledge of what effect it'll have, plus the tranquillity of knowing that the set will go well, whatever. Our OP here is trying his best to get it right for that all-important First Gig, and the present strings are fine, so leave 'em on. Experiment after the gig, certainly, but now is not the time for that, I'd say.

I'd not change strings just before a gig as I find very new strings a bit much. A week or so and they've calmed down a bit, tuning and tone wise, and they're much nicer to my ear.

If you're nervous about a big gig, then I'd be inclined to leave the old strings on...less to get worried about !

Edited by ahpook

To my ears EBs sound very similar to Prosteels after they have settled in a bit. I used EBs for years but found the Prosteels are less prone to corrosion - maybe I have toxic sweat or something. If you like the sound of your old strings and they are in good condition leave 'em on. Stick with what you are comfortable with. The audience won't notice either way.

Some good advice above to make yourself a little crib sheet. You may find your mind goes blank at some point if it's your first time and it's handy to have something to fall back on. Make sure you can read it in dim lighting though. A few clues such as the key, opening riff, verse/chorus structure can be handy in whatever notation you are comfortable with. The key thing is to be as relaxed as you can be.

If you're not driving limit yourself to one pint before you play though. Alcohol may help to settle nerves but it really doesn't do your playing any favours.

Have fun :)

You can extend the life of a set of strings, and get the 'zing' back in them temporarily, by loosening them for 24 hrs and then re-tuning them. But if you're happy with the sound you have, and you have a light touch, I wouldn't bother changing them. I only change my strings when they start to get a bit dead.

Marlowe DK does a thing on his instructional YouTube vids too involving getting a little bit extra lifespan out of dead strings by slackening them right off, and pulling/slapping them against fretboard for about 30 secs and then retuning. It sort of dislodges the worst of the gunk and does help to a degree, certainly for one gig.

I agree with what's been said here tho - while there's nothing wrong with changing strings before a gig, if the OP is happy with the sound and feel of his existing strings then he should just leave them on and turn his attention to enjoying the gig!

Whatever you decide string wise, hope the gig goes well anyway!

Edited by bassbiscuits

Thank you all very much for your advice, at rehearsal Tuesday I found out that we now have another gig the following Saturday filling in at short notice for a band thats had to pull out, so I went home and changed them. I figure I might as well get them on and start playing them in.

For those that mentioned practice, rest assured I have been practicing every night whilst parked in my truck (terrible acoustics!)

Blue, unfortunately I haven't been playing as long as you, and haven't had the time to learn all the bass parts note for note. What I mean by winging it is that I'm playing the songs with simplified basslines where possible, but still retaining the feel of the song. Not that I have no clue what I'm going to be playing. Don't worry, I haven't butchered any Beatles songs :D

ScrumpyMike, I'm sure we must be very close geographically going by your username!

[/quote]

I should have said a week is too close to change strings UNLESS you are gonna get 4-5 hours to play them in. Dependant on what strings, rounds might sound too clanky new, flats not so much

re your two audience members, I can beat that

from a gig in 198? " Thank YOU. You're a lovely audience, Wayne " true story :)

Edited by bazztard

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1498807916' post='3327124']
I should have said a week is too close to change strings UNLESS you are gonna get 4-5 hours to play them in. Dependant on what strings, rounds might sound too clanky new, flats not so much

re your two audience members, I can beat that

from a gig in 198? " Thank YOU. You're a lovely audience, Wayne " true story :)
[/quote]

:lol: !!!

ON my first gig ever, we played to a full bar. It was awesome. A week later at a different place there were 6 people. SIX! And I knew them all. We could have thank them individually by name too :)

Take along whatever spares, strings, leads, 4 gang extension leads you think you'll need. Find a nice holdall bag and take them to every gig in that. After a while you'll find things you don't need at a gig and things you do. Having the bag there will give you peace of mind.

But mainly, enjoy it! Playing live is one of the very best things you can do in a darkened room with your clothes on - most of the people watching will wish they were on stage with you!

And don't worry if you make a few mistakes, just keep going and keep smiling.....

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1498811957' post='3327169']
:lol: !!!

ON my first gig ever, we played to a full bar. It was awesome. A week later at a different place there were 6 people. SIX! And I knew them all. We could have thank them individually by name too :)
[/quote]

to be fair, it was a warm up set before midnight. It used to get packed after midnight when all the pubs used to close and we'd play til 3 am, it was a 'club'.

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1498816272' post='3327221']
to be fair, it was a warm up set before midnight. It used to get packed after midnight when all the pubs used to close and we'd play til 3 am, it was a 'club'.
[/quote]

I have no good excuse for mine. It was just... an unpopular place with a band nobody yet knew who had not tried to promote much since we thought after the first gig that people would naturally seek us and queue for miles to see :P