Why become a member? ×

Smith BSR5GN matching fretted and fretless

Kiwi

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='317867' date='Oct 29 2008, 07:26 PM']Nik: I know it looks like I'm firing off on one, but I've been vascillating over selling anyway because of my work situation as you'll have seen in my collection thread. This event has made the decision a lot easier and less clouded by sentimentality. I know how to get a Smith-esque sound from a custom instrument (the secret isn't that mysterious) and I don't intend to get a new Smith in the future any more than I intend to purchase a new Musicman bass (for pretty much the same reasons as it so happens.)

BTW: already had a very serious bite on the Smith 5 fretted.[/quote]
Good news! I realise that you wouldn't take a decision like this lightly..

Its OK, its gone to another Basschatter so it's staying in the family. He's going to compare it to his BSR5TN and see which one he likes better. It may well be that he will look to flick it on or his BSR5TN instead.

But unfortunately it IS going to be skipping over the Channel...

[quote]:) :huh: :huh: Toys well and truely out of the pram :huh: :unsure: :lol:

You know when you have be kiwi\'d :lol: :o :o

Even if I was suddenly to decide that Bernie was a c***, which is as likely as pissing in the Queens handbag; there is no way I would sell my GB\'s.[/quote]

[i]Checks Drunk In Charge of Keyboard (D.I.C.K.) test:[/i]
Late night posting *tick*
Gratuitous swearing *tick*
Reduced emotional control *tick*
Over confidence *tick*
Leaves self vulnerable to devastating put down *tick and underline*

[i]Note to self:[/i]
Talk to Phatmonkey about a breathalyzer for Basschat. :ph34r:

Very sad to see you let these go Steve - having played the fretless a couple of times I can vouch for its loveliness big time - so I'll just give you a BUMP for two great basses - but a shame to hear about your reasons for selling - time to move onwards and upwards me thinks.

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='321484' date='Nov 4 2008, 12:49 AM']I can't believe the number of really beautiful basses that've cropped up on here recently.

That fretted 5 is just absolutely stunning. If I'd have had the cash, I'd have ripped your arms off for it!

And the fretless (if I could play one) is just as good a looker.

Good luck selling that too.[/quote]

Fretless isn't hard really - just have to do a bit of practise.

The sound is well worth it.

I know there are people who prefer lined boards and I completely understand why. But lines or not, you end up depending on your ears and muscle memory for accurate intonation eventually. Its not impossible if you have enough patience, and a clear sounding backline that isn't over effected or woolly sounding.

[quote name='paul h' post='317819' date='Oct 29 2008, 06:33 PM']Are you angry enough to swap both basses for one SX jazz and then post the fact at the offending forum?[/quote]
I wondered last night what his reaction might be if someone ever sent him a headstock in the post. :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='funnyfreddie' post='330278' date='Nov 16 2008, 09:11 PM']I played Garth's (WalBass-nice bloke too) K.Smith bass a long time ago at OBBM's when we met and remembered what quality the bass felt in my hands. More of a bass than I'll ever be a player to do it justice but the feel good factor[/quote]

(blushes)

• 2 weeks later...