Why become a member? ×

Getting to bass after 25 years

Oldfartback

Hi all,
Newbie here wanted some advise as used to play in various bands etc from early teens to early 20's

Looking to pick up a bass for fun having played various acoustics and nylon guitars

Don't want to spend a lot and nothing serious just something that plays great and doesn't beat you up!

Back in the day 5/6 stings weren't something that I got into...owned all the Westone thunders which were super heavy, precision and jazz, various Aria basses and ended up on an Aria fretless from memory

Looking for a light flexible, easy neck used. Don't know where to start but looking at the Peavy Cirrus bxp and Ibanex SR serious

Ideally £2-300

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Hang around here and read and learn a bit more. Once you've made 10 (useful!) posts you will be able to access our marketplace, where there is loads of choice at your budget. That's the way to go. :)

It does depend on the tone you like.

IMHO both a MM and an Ibanez have a tone that's too clanging and aggressive. So, for my liking, both would be a mistake.

While we still have them, you should go down to your local shop and try some basses. Or meet with local BCers and try some out.

You mention Arias, I have an Aria I picked up last year for £80 and it is my go to bass now if I am honest despite having several others including a Fender and an Ibanez. The Ibanez would also fall into your price range second hand and plays very well.

Used Ibanez SR.
Light weight, slim neck, very ergonomic and great sounding instrument, very well made too. And nice woods.
All the Ibanez sr basses play great, to me there the easiest instruments to play.

If you want brand new the ibanez sr300e are what £245 and have the same ergonomics etc as the more expensive models but lesser woods and electrics etc but are still a fantastic bass! Have a look at reviews etc. You also normally find sr500's used at that price too.

There a lovely sr700 used on the guitarguitar website. If you can stretch to £365 its a good option.
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/preowned_guitars_detail.asp?stock=PX170415309865006

Edited by Twincam

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1494063714' post='3292916']
You mention Arias, I have an Aria I picked up last year for £80 and it is my go to bass now if I am honest despite having several others including a Fender and an Ibanez. The Ibanez would also fall into your price range second hand and plays very well.
[/quote]

+1 for Arias. Like you I picked up the bass after a long gap out of the music scene - still had an old Aria Pro II on the premises (fortunately in the safety of a hard case) which I had set up with some new strings and it's a really decent bass guitar; in fact it was just perfect to get myself up to speed and into a band, before making the move up to a Sandberg 18 months later.

[attachment=245007:012.JPG]