Why become a member? ×

Saturday Night Fever-who was the bassplayer

wombatboter

I don't know if this is the right place to post this question but I watched a TV show on the BBC last saturday night when I came home from a gig.
It was around midnight and it featured some artists unknown to me here in Belgium but they did songs from Saturday Night Fever with a big orchestra. Guests I did know were Robin Gibb and Sharleen Spiteri. The band was superb and they showed how complex the arrangements of these popsongs were..
Does anyone know who the bassplayer was...already in his 40ties (fifties ?) but he played really well on a red Fender Precision. The bass-sound he had on "Jive Talkin'" was mindblowing and was the best "synth"bass-sound I have heard on an electric bass.
I heard a really good version of "Disco Inferno" by an unknown singer (Christopher ?) but in fact everyone was good...Pity it was interrupted by Razorlight...
So if anyone knows who the bassplayer was ?

[quote name='wombatboter' post='316009' date='Oct 27 2008, 05:45 PM']I don't know if this is the right place to post this question but I watched a TV show on the BBC last saturday night when I came home from a gig.
It was around midnight and it featured some artists unknown to me here in Belgium but they did songs from Saturday Night Fever with a big orchestra. Guests I did know were Robin Gibb and Sharleen Spiteri. The band was superb and they showed how complex the arrangements of these popsongs were..
Does anyone know who the bassplayer was...already in his 40ties (fifties ?) but he played really well on a red Fender Precision. The bass-sound he had on "Jive Talkin'" was mindblowing and was the best "synth"bass-sound I have heard on an electric bass.
I heard a really good version of "Disco Inferno" by an unknown singer (Christopher ?) but in fact everyone was good...Pity it was interrupted by Razorlight...
So if anyone knows who the bassplayer was ?[/quote]

Steve Pearce
[url="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=66568208"]http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendID=66568208[/url]

Top player.
It really amazes me that he does not seem to get much of a mention on this forum.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' post='316016' date='Oct 27 2008, 05:50 PM']Steve Pearce
[url="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=66568208"]http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendID=66568208[/url]

Top player.
It really amazes me that he does not seem to get much of a mention on this forum.

Garry[/quote]Steve Pearce has always rocked my world, a total UBER DUDE.

[quote name='doctorbass' post='316594' date='Oct 28 2008, 11:57 AM']Disco Inferno was definately played by Ronnie Baker of the Trammps.

He died some years ago.[/quote]

Yep sure was... :)
But the poster was talking about the gig last Saturday night.
And that was Steve Pearce.

Garry

The band was so tight that I got through that....I also gave Robin a bit more credit, together with his brothers he made a lot of classic songs. He gets my respect for that.
You missed something if you switched off during Robin.....I've played Disco Inferno with various coverbands and I can't stand the song anymore but the version of the song during this show was éxcellent...
"You should be dancing" (played with a pick) featured a great bassline too...
I really get energy from performances like this.. Just proves the power of pop when you least expect it.

"I switched off when Robin Gibb tried to sing. My, that was sad"

Stevie, you're either a great singer or have no idea how hard it is to hold a stage with one voice. Duos get a boost from the combination of voices, a solo singer can never get that. Also Robin was attempting falsetto, the clue is in the false, it's not a natural voicing, which bizarrely is why audiences find it so compelling. Sam Sparro also broke sweat doing the Bee Gees as a lone vocal and he's much younger. Tough songs...

[quote name='lowdown' post='316016' date='Oct 27 2008, 06:50 PM']Steve Pearce
[url="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=66568208"]http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendID=66568208[/url][/quote]
Heavens, that resume is unreal! :)

Never heard of the guy, but he sure seems to have his stuff together. Very impressive.

Whilst I partly agree with the comments on some of the vocalists, thought this was a well put together show.
Steve Pearce (and also the guitarist) had all of the parts well covered, and played with conviction too.
Noticed Steve plays regularly with a favourite of mine, Hamish Stuart (ex Average White Band), himself a great bassist .
Worth checking out if you see them advertised.

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone,
I've caught up with Basschat a bit late!.......It was, indeed, me on the Saturday Night Fever TV show...A 1976 Fiesta red Precision and a really cheap, plastic little Chinese-made Behringer bass phaser pedal made the bass sound on 'You should be Dancin'....It's really noisy but I love its grunginess...In fact I bought two in case one broke!.....Steve Pearce.

[quote name='StevePearceBass' post='1069328' date='Dec 25 2010, 08:32 PM']Hi everyone,
I've caught up with Basschat a bit late!.......It was, indeed, me on the Saturday Night Fever TV show...A 1976 Fiesta red Precision and a really cheap, plastic little Chinese-made Behringer bass phaser pedal made the bass sound on 'You should be Dancin'....It's really noisy but I love its grunginess...In fact I bought two in case one broke!.....Steve Pearce.[/quote]

Hi Steve,

Merry Christmas and nice of you to join us. Just like to say great playing on the show and nice sound. thanks for the extra info.

Sam

While we're on the subject of 'unsung heroes' of the low end I've recently developed uber-love for John Giblin's fretless playing on Fish's first solo album "Vigil in a wilderness of mirrors". I did some digging around, and it turns out that he's quite the session player.

[quote name='paul_5' post='1069349' date='Dec 25 2010, 09:28 PM']While we're on the subject of 'unsung heroes' of the low end I've recently developed uber-love for John Giblin's fretless playing on Fish's first solo album "Vigil in a wilderness of mirrors". I did some digging around, and it turns out that he's quite the session player.[/quote]

Gibbo has played on countless recordings..... and was until a few years back, resident bassist at Abbey Rd.... very kool dude!

[quote name='StevePearceBass' post='1069328' date='Dec 25 2010, 08:32 PM']Hi everyone,
I've caught up with Basschat a bit late!.......It was, indeed, me on the Saturday Night Fever TV show...A 1976 Fiesta red Precision and a really cheap, plastic little Chinese-made Behringer bass phaser pedal made the bass sound on 'You should be Dancin'....It's really noisy but I love its grunginess...In fact I bought two in case one broke!.....Steve Pearce.[/quote]
Apart from playing with Van Morrison,Stevie Wonder,Herbie Hancock,Wayne Shorter,Madonna,Elton John,Sting,George Michael,Bryan Ferry,Scott Walker,Tom Jones,Al Jarreau,Mark Knopfler,Everything but the Girl,M'shell NdegeOcello,Annie Lennox,Joss Stone,James Morrison,Mariah Carey,Rod Stewart,Ronnie Wood,Dave Gilmour,Leona Lewis,Diana Krall,Natalie Cole,Alice Cooper,Orchestra Manhattan,Alison Moyet,Jon Anderson,Diana Ross,Bob Geldof,10cc,Seal,Randy Crawford,Darryl Hall,Toni Braxton,Mica Paris,Sandy Rivera,Hamish Stuart,Cyndi Lauper,Lemar,Anne Dudley,Bryn Terfal,Renee Fleming,Elliott Randall,Tony Visconti,Danny Elfman,Carleen Anderson,The Chieftains,Steve Mac,Mark Isham,Tommy Cooper,Peter Vettese,Laura Michelle Kelly,David Cassidy,Brian Auger,Chrissie Hynde,Take That,Graham Lyle,David Arnold,Mick Hucknell,The Art of Noise,Shakin' Stevens,Rod Argent,Don Airey,Aaron Carter,Howard Shore,Lulu,Westlife,Mel C,EMF,The Senators,Rolf Harris,London Studio orchestra,Emma Bunton,Bonnie Raitt,gO:Audio,Desmond Dekker,Morecambe and Wise,Ray Gelato,Heatwave,Phil Ramone,George Fenton,Nick Glennie-Smith,Maddy Prior,Carter Burwell,Boy George,Heaven 17,Russell Watson,Ian Levine,Cliff Richard,Barry Manilow,Steve Gadd, Vinnie Coliauta, Chester Thompson,Chris de Burgh,Mose Allison,Jim Mullen,Peter King,Stan Sultzman,Elaine Delmar,John Horler,Meja,Steve Harley,Randy Edelman,Patrick Doyle,The Osmonds,Mari Wilson,Marti Pellow,Donny Osmond,Philharmonia orchestra,Clem Clempson,O-Town,Kid Creole and the Coconuts,Boyzone,The Everly Brothers,Michael Nyman,Robin Williamson,Gary Barlow,The Real Thing,Willard White,Andrew Lloyd Webber,Julian Lloyd Webber,John Miles,Barbara Windsor,John Parricelli,Kiki Dee,Finbar Furey,The Three Degrees,Will Young,Ute Lemper,Alan Parker,Dianne Tell,London Chamber orchestra,Cerys Matthews,Jose Carreras,Ken Loach,Richard O'Brian,Nick Carter,Sally Oldfield,Arthur Lowe,David Hartley,Englebert Humperdink,Sam Moore,Curtis Stigers,Pee Wee Ellis,Jocelyn Brown,Michael Ball,Barbara Pennington,Hayley Westenra,Chaga/Asuka,UK studio orchestra,Gordon Haskell,Ronan Keating,Suggs,Billy Mackenzie,Anastacia,Anna Krantz,Meat Loaf,Kate Winslet,London Symphony orchestra,Adrian Johnstone,Steven Poliakoff,Richard Cocciante,Kumiko Yamashita,Showaddywaddy,Antonio Banderas,Elaine Paige,Evelyn Thomas,Bournemouth Symphony orchestra,Placido Domingo,The Wurzels,Reeves and Mortimer,London Philharmonic orchestra,Laurie Johnson big band,Steve Coogan,Rachel Stevens,Adam Faith,David Dundas,Tony O'Malley,Kiri ti Kanawa,Peters and Lee,Sacha Distel,Shirley Bassey,Four poofs and a piano,Samantha Mumba,Nigel Kennedy,Stanley Myers,Ronnie Corbett,Kelly Clarkson,Clay Aiken,Miquel Brown,Abra Moore,Royal Philharmonic orchestra,Brotherhood of man,Lenny Henry,Jimmy Nail,Vera Lynn,Karl Jenkins,Mungo Jerry,Vanessa Mae,Martine McCutcheon,Hugh Jackman,Vanessa Amorosi,Vinnie Jones,Denise Van Outen,Shara Nelson,Eddi Reader,Jools Holland,Georgie Fame,Pepper Adams,Ronnie Scotts' big band,Buddy Greco,Harry Stoneham,Roger Whitaker,Margarita Pracatan,Barbara Dickson,Errol Brown,Vikki Carr,BBC Concert orchestra,Bonnie Tyler,Dick Emery,Burt Reynolds,Charlie Chuck,Ralph Burns,Brian Dee,Cilla Black,Pete Cox,Tony Hadley,Girlthing,Brendan Shine,Enrique Englesias,Victor Silvester,Sarah Brightman,Lesley Phillips,Echoes of Ellington orchestra,Bob Downe,Chris Farlowe,Tammy Wynette,Ruby Turner,Eros Ramazotti,Phil Campbell,Betty Boo,Nick Heyward,David MacAlmont,Yusuf Islam(Cat Stevens),Katherine Jenkins,Nik Kershaw,Chesney Hawkes,Delta Goodrem,RyanDan,Lou Cowell,Il Divo,Josh Groban,Melody Gardot,Sonya Kitchell,Paul Potts,Leon Jackson,Peter Kay,Jason Donovan,Bill Bailey,Rhydian,Kris Buckle,Polina Giffis,Claire Teal,Sophie Ellis-Bextor,Heather Small,Charles Aznavour,Laura Pausini,Sharlene Spiteri,Robin Gibb,Bryn Christopher,Sam Sparro,Jarvis Cocker,Michael Henry,Lizzie Loeb,Owen Gilhooly,Dot Allison,John Barrowman,Liane Carroll,Gabriella Climi,Tim Minchin,Imelda Staunton,Paul Young,Chris Difford,Monty Python,John Hendricks,Will Gaines,Susan Boyle,The Good Blokes,Gwyneth Paltrow,Vusi Mahlasela,Rick Astley,Ethan Johns,Rumer,Roland Gift,Bernard Butler...............................I have also played on the soundtracks of many films including: Evita,The Full Monty,Charlie and the chocolate factory,Big Fish,Lord of the Rings,007-The World is not enough,Shirley Valentine,Sweet Home Alabama,All dogs go to heaven,Carla's story,My name is Joe,The History boys,Dogma,Donnie Brasco,Monkeybone,Lucky Break,High Fidelity,A Knight's tale,Bread and Roses,Flesh and Blood,The Mighty,Hideaway,Born Romantic,Help!I'm a fish,Agnes Browne,About Adam,High heels,low life,Wild West,Night train to murder,The Last Resort,Sinners,Goal!,Heavens prisoners,The Tall Guy,How to get ahead in advertising,Staggered,Pontiac moon,Intimate contact,Entrapment,The Miracle,The life of David Gale,Roseanna's grave,Where the truth lies,A good year,Three and out,Hellboy II,I know you know,007-Quantum of Solace,Looking for Eric,Planet 51,The Twilght saga - Eclipse, The Wicker Tree,No Ordinary Trifle.......................................what have you achieved in music Steve? :)

[quote name='merello' post='1069490' date='Dec 26 2010, 10:31 AM']Apart from playing with Van Morrison,Stevie Wonder,Herbie Hancock,Wayne Shorter,Madonna,Elton John,Sting,George Michael,Bryan Ferry,Scott Walker,Tom Jones,Al Jarreau,Mark Knopfler,Everything but the Girl,M'shell NdegeOcello,Annie Lennox,Joss Stone,James Morrison,Mariah Carey,Rod Stewart,Ronnie Wood,Dave Gilmour,Leona Lewis,Diana Krall,Natalie Cole,Alice Cooper,Orchestra Manhattan,Alison Moyet,Jon Anderson,Diana Ross,Bob Geldof,10cc,Seal,Randy Crawford,Darryl Hall,Toni Braxton,Mica Paris,Sandy Rivera,Hamish Stuart,Cyndi Lauper,Lemar,Anne Dudley,Bryn Terfal,Renee Fleming,Elliott Randall,Tony Visconti,Danny Elfman,Carleen Anderson,The Chieftains,Steve Mac,Mark Isham,Tommy Cooper,Peter Vettese,Laura Michelle Kelly,David Cassidy,Brian Auger,Chrissie Hynde,Take That,Graham Lyle,David Arnold,Mick Hucknell,The Art of Noise,Shakin' Stevens,Rod Argent,Don Airey,Aaron Carter,Howard Shore,Lulu,Westlife,Mel C,EMF,The Senators,Rolf Harris,London Studio orchestra,Emma Bunton,Bonnie Raitt,gO:Audio,Desmond Dekker,Morecambe and Wise,Ray Gelato,Heatwave,Phil Ramone,George Fenton,Nick Glennie-Smith,Maddy Prior,Carter Burwell,Boy George,Heaven 17,Russell Watson,Ian Levine,Cliff Richard,Barry Manilow,Steve Gadd, Vinnie Coliauta, Chester Thompson,Chris de Burgh,Mose Allison,Jim Mullen,Peter King,Stan Sultzman,Elaine Delmar,John Horler,Meja,Steve Harley,Randy Edelman,Patrick Doyle,The Osmonds,Mari Wilson,Marti Pellow,Donny Osmond,Philharmonia orchestra,Clem Clempson,O-Town,Kid Creole and the Coconuts,Boyzone,The Everly Brothers,Michael Nyman,Robin Williamson,Gary Barlow,The Real Thing,Willard White,Andrew Lloyd Webber,Julian Lloyd Webber,John Miles,Barbara Windsor,John Parricelli,Kiki Dee,Finbar Furey,The Three Degrees,Will Young,Ute Lemper,Alan Parker,Dianne Tell,London Chamber orchestra,Cerys Matthews,Jose Carreras,Ken Loach,Richard O'Brian,Nick Carter,Sally Oldfield,Arthur Lowe,David Hartley,Englebert Humperdink,Sam Moore,Curtis Stigers,Pee Wee Ellis,Jocelyn Brown,Michael Ball,Barbara Pennington,Hayley Westenra,Chaga/Asuka,UK studio orchestra,Gordon Haskell,Ronan Keating,Suggs,Billy Mackenzie,Anastacia,Anna Krantz,Meat Loaf,Kate Winslet,London Symphony orchestra,Adrian Johnstone,Steven Poliakoff,Richard Cocciante,Kumiko Yamashita,Showaddywaddy,Antonio Banderas,Elaine Paige,Evelyn Thomas,Bournemouth Symphony orchestra,Placido Domingo,The Wurzels,Reeves and Mortimer,London Philharmonic orchestra,Laurie Johnson big band,Steve Coogan,Rachel Stevens,Adam Faith,David Dundas,Tony O'Malley,Kiri ti Kanawa,Peters and Lee,Sacha Distel,Shirley Bassey,Four poofs and a piano,Samantha Mumba,Nigel Kennedy,Stanley Myers,Ronnie Corbett,Kelly Clarkson,Clay Aiken,Miquel Brown,Abra Moore,Royal Philharmonic orchestra,Brotherhood of man,Lenny Henry,Jimmy Nail,Vera Lynn,Karl Jenkins,Mungo Jerry,Vanessa Mae,Martine McCutcheon,Hugh Jackman,Vanessa Amorosi,Vinnie Jones,Denise Van Outen,Shara Nelson,Eddi Reader,Jools Holland,Georgie Fame,Pepper Adams,Ronnie Scotts' big band,Buddy Greco,Harry Stoneham,Roger Whitaker,Margarita Pracatan,Barbara Dickson,Errol Brown,Vikki Carr,BBC Concert orchestra,Bonnie Tyler,Dick Emery,Burt Reynolds,Charlie Chuck,Ralph Burns,Brian Dee,Cilla Black,Pete Cox,Tony Hadley,Girlthing,Brendan Shine,Enrique Englesias,Victor Silvester,Sarah Brightman,Lesley Phillips,Echoes of Ellington orchestra,Bob Downe,Chris Farlowe,Tammy Wynette,Ruby Turner,Eros Ramazotti,Phil Campbell,Betty Boo,Nick Heyward,David MacAlmont,Yusuf Islam(Cat Stevens),Katherine Jenkins,Nik Kershaw,Chesney Hawkes,Delta Goodrem,RyanDan,Lou Cowell,Il Divo,Josh Groban,Melody Gardot,Sonya Kitchell,Paul Potts,Leon Jackson,Peter Kay,Jason Donovan,Bill Bailey,Rhydian,Kris Buckle,Polina Giffis,Claire Teal,Sophie Ellis-Bextor,Heather Small,Charles Aznavour,Laura Pausini,Sharlene Spiteri,Robin Gibb,Bryn Christopher,Sam Sparro,Jarvis Cocker,Michael Henry,Lizzie Loeb,Owen Gilhooly,Dot Allison,John Barrowman,Liane Carroll,Gabriella Climi,Tim Minchin,Imelda Staunton,Paul Young,Chris Difford,Monty Python,John Hendricks,Will Gaines,Susan Boyle,The Good Blokes,Gwyneth Paltrow,Vusi Mahlasela,Rick Astley,Ethan Johns,Rumer,Roland Gift,Bernard Butler...............................I have also played on the soundtracks of many films including: Evita,The Full Monty,Charlie and the chocolate factory,Big Fish,Lord of the Rings,007-The World is not enough,Shirley Valentine,Sweet Home Alabama,All dogs go to heaven,Carla's story,My name is Joe,The History boys,Dogma,Donnie Brasco,Monkeybone,Lucky Break,High Fidelity,A Knight's tale,Bread and Roses,Flesh and Blood,The Mighty,Hideaway,Born Romantic,Help!I'm a fish,Agnes Browne,About Adam,High heels,low life,Wild West,Night train to murder,The Last Resort,Sinners,Goal!,Heavens prisoners,The Tall Guy,How to get ahead in advertising,Staggered,Pontiac moon,Intimate contact,Entrapment,The Miracle,The life of David Gale,Roseanna's grave,Where the truth lies,A good year,Three and out,Hellboy II,I know you know,007-Quantum of Solace,Looking for Eric,Planet 51,The Twilght saga - Eclipse, The Wicker Tree,No Ordinary Trifle.......................................what have you achieved in music Steve? :)[/quote]

HaHaHa!.......Sorry, once I wrote one name down, I felt I had to include everyone!....Meaning that Rolf Harris was a lovely, generous geezer who walked in and had a laugh with the band making for an easy and productive session and Natalie Cole wasn't!....So whether you think that Rolf is more of a legend than Natalie doesn't really matter in the end......They're all part of me being a pro muso for 35+ years and I tried to play my best for all of them!......(harder to do for some than others).......Bass is best!....Steve.

Steve, was that you who played on the 'Best Disco In Town' concert with Shalamar, Chic, Kid Creole, etc?