Why become a member? ×

New Trace Elliots

Wayward-Wanderer

I've been reading around the forum that the older Trace elliot gear (Pre-peavey takeover) is a lot better than the new Trace Elliot gear. Whilst reading, I have found no jusitification for why this is true. I'm looking at getting a new TE stack (7 band for those interested) and was wondering why people are saying the new stuff is rubbish. Surely its technologically better? or am I missing something?
I have only played the new Traceys.

[quote name='Wayward-Wanderer' post='315158' date='Oct 26 2008, 04:26 PM']I'm looking at getting a new TE stack (7 band for those interested) and was wondering why people are saying the new stuff is rubbish.[/quote]
Don't listen to the armchair experts - if you like the sound, go for it!

Edited by stingrayfan

[quote name='Machines' post='315235' date='Oct 26 2008, 05:46 PM']It's all UK made now which probably accounts for the cost. I think they're pretty good, but certainly wouldn't pay that much for them - there's a lot of other things around the same pricemark which I prefer.[/quote]

+1 theres a lot you can get for that price range, also i cant help but think your paying for the brand at the price as old trace stuff has such a hype

[quote name='Wayward-Wanderer' post='315158' date='Oct 26 2008, 04:26 PM']I've been reading around the forum that the older Trace elliot gear (Pre-peavey takeover) is a lot better than the new Trace Elliot gear. Whilst reading, I have found no jusitification for why this is true. I'm looking at getting a new TE stack (7 band for those interested) and was wondering why people are saying the new stuff is rubbish. Surely its technologically better? or am I missing something?
I have only played the new Traceys.[/quote]

I have the new 1210 2 x 10 500W 12 band combo and a 1518c cab. I think they sound great, plus you get a footswitch with the amp which controls all the switchable functions of the amp; valve pre-amp, compressor, Graphic EQ, fx loop and Pre-shape and covers. Didn't think they were overly expensive plus they look great.

As previously stated - try them out along side other amps and let your ears decide.

I own a couple of old trace amps and enjoy them a lot. Great tone (in my opinion), built to last and I picked them both up relatively cheap. The only downside as far as I'm concerned is size and weight compared to some modern amps (markbass etc).

I've only played the new trace stuff in shops but I didn't think the tone was great (not a patch on the old stuff, although i suppose a shop isn't the ideal place to test it). It didn't look or feel as sturdy as the old stuff, didn't look as well made and seemed just as heavy and about 4 times the price of quality second hand trace stuff. I personally wouldn't buy it, but each to their own.

Thanks for the clarification guys.
Well i do love the new TE's, something about knowing it was made in a shed in by a fat bloke named Mick, screw driver in one hand and mug of tea in the other putting my amp and speaker together is rather comforting. (Though its a rather odd thought) :)
Although the American's having been making quite an impression on me with Eden. Very expensive there to i must say. But for those sort of tones, I wouldn't pay a penny less.

I think a lot of the negative reputation is based on the days when Gibson ran the company down from being one of the best Amp and Cab makers in the UK to a shell of a company producing products that were a pale comparison to their older stock. Now that Peavey have it, it should be better, but then again, some of the staff and designers that were at Trace back in the day have moved to Ashdown so it's a bit apples and oranges. At least Peavey do know their amp's, the only issue is the pricing, they're a tad on the expensive side with not a lot of variation.

Trace Elliots of the new millenium are designed by Paul Stevens, the guy who designed the legendary Trace V8.
The circuit boards are made in Essex, I guess the cabinets are too, though they may be manufactured at the peavey/Trace HQ in Corby, Northants. I've spent several hours on the phone talking to the MD of the company who does the PCBs for Trace and I can guarantee that the build quality will be second to none. Yes they had a few early production glitches but they're definitely sorted now.

As Buzz said, the stigma is really attached to the Gibson era stuff (1997-2002ish) where they let buyers purchase cheaper, inferior components which led to poor reliability.

[quote name='Merton' post='315528' date='Oct 27 2008, 08:25 AM']Gibson era stuff (1997-2002ish)[/quote]

I owned a Gibbo era (I've just learnt) AH400SMX and sure enough, it crapped out on me - blown output trannies so the guy at the Bass Centre told me. It was very disapointing at the time because I thought TE had a reputation for bombproof reliability.

I was pretty happy with the sound of it but I preferred the the new AH500 I tried (albeit only in a shop so not a very scientific comparison).

I can't imagine why anyone would think the new stuff is rubbish. A mixture of sour grapes and rose tinted specs maybe, or the common misconception that anything old must be better than anything new.

I'll definitely be looking at the Trace when I'm next buying a head. It's a bit pricey but around £600 for a 500watt amp isn't unreasonable and I don't mind paying a bit extra for a UK made product.

+1 for let your ears decide, they are more reliable than other people's opinions

The Trace line started going tits-up before Gibson bought them out - in many way Gibson tried to save the company. Gibson get blamed for much of the Trace demise but in reality, the company were going south before that.

The best Trace gear, the pinnacle of build and sound quality, is generally thought to be between the early 80's and very early 90's with the "best of the best" being the MkV line of amps, although the earlier amps(MkIII/MkIV) are still better than most.

I like to think of these as using "old Watts" if you know what I mean. The earlier Trace stuff, even at 250W, can blow away a lot of new amps in terms of punch and tone - even if some newer stuff is supposedly more powerful.

That's just my opinion. I know everyone's ears are different, but my MkIII AH250('83ish) is better than most of the newer amps i've played, and the MkV I play regularly is an absolute beast of an amp, even compared to the EBS Proline 2000 and Warwick Neo Tubepath 1000w amps. And the rest of the band agree with me!

As far as the newer Trace stuff goes - I don't really play any of it. But only because I never get the opportunity.

I certainly don't reserve judgement simply because it's new, but by the same token, I don't expect it to be as good as the best Trace gear from the 80's. Like everyone else has said - if it sounds good to you then it's good enough.

I remeber some article I think in bass player where they dropped a head unit out of a block of flats on landing the unit still worked apart from a loose pcb board, in my opinion Peavey make some of the most robust gear knocking around so I think the robustness (if thats a word) is there to be seen!
On the upshot of price its a buyers market at the mo and some of the gear can be picked up at bargain prices compared to rrp.
On the board I think gear goes in trends there seemed to be a trend for mark bass - ashdown etc but then everyone wants the next best thing whatever that maybe so its then up for sale at a bargain price all being well!
I never hear much difference in a shop as they all sound similar at "shop volume" but to +1 the saying if you like it get it, I love mine it does what it says on the tin!
Eddy

Edited by lushuk

I'm using a new'ish TE rig with 1 x 15, 4 x 10 and AH500 head, bought them Dec 06. It sounds awesome in my opinion and I love it.

It's done about 200 gigs and I took it to an amp tech for a 'checkup', amp tech says it can throw out a mighty 675W, and it needed no work done to it.

When I upgrade it will be a TE...

Hope this helps

My very basic rule of thumb is that the older stuff is fine if it's not carpet covered. The build quality was better before then. I had a carpet covered combo actually smashed in it's transit box - looked like chipboard. The older stuff I'd had was ply and was indestructable.

That's not an exact science though.

I lost all faith after that , and though I hear good things about Trace now I wouldn't go near one again after my experiences.

I'd be quite happy about buying older stuff though - partic the series 6 amps which I loved.

[quote name='Merton' post='315528' date='Oct 27 2008, 08:25 AM']I've spent several hours on the phone talking to the MD of the company who does the PCBs for Trace and I can guarantee that the build quality will be second to none.[/quote]

most of us just try the amp out in a shop - Mert, on the other hand, really does his research!

:)

I've got a Trace which is a few years old not entirely sure how old it is. But I've tired the latest version at a guitar shop. The sound on the new one is alot clearer, but at the same time it lacks character imo. I sounds too clear if ya get me. Though they do have a very large selection of sounds on the new Traces, which helps if you got lot of different basses.

I'd try both to see which one you click with the most.

I have one of the new trace combos and it's fantastic. Very clear with a lot of punch but also has a nice warmth about it. You can do pretty much anything you like with the EQ. My only gripe is that I find the compressor quite useless but I've never been one for compressors anyway.

It also looks the business, the construcion is flawless and the backlight is worth the money for sheer coolness. Also getting a footswitch and cover as standard is a nice bonus.

[quote name='BassInThePlace' post='315604' date='Oct 27 2008, 10:10 AM']The Trace line started going tits-up before Gibson bought them out - in many way Gibson tried to save the company. Gibson get blamed for much of the Trace demise but in reality, the company were going south before that.

The best Trace gear, the pinnacle of build and sound quality, is generally thought to be between the early 80's and very early 90's with the "best of the best" being the MkV line of amps, although the earlier amps(MkIII/MkIV) are still better than most.

I like to think of these as using "old Watts" if you know what I mean. The earlier Trace stuff, even at 250W, can blow away a lot of new amps in terms of punch and tone - even if some newer stuff is supposedly more powerful.

That's just my opinion. I know everyone's ears are different, but my MkIII AH250('83ish) is better than most of the newer amps i've played, and the MkV I play regularly is an absolute beast of an amp, even compared to the EBS Proline 2000 and Warwick Neo Tubepath 1000w amps. And the rest of the band agree with me!

As far as the newer Trace stuff goes - I don't really play any of it. But only because I never get the opportunity.

I certainly don't reserve judgement simply because it's new, but by the same token, I don't expect it to be as good as the best Trace gear from the 80's. Like everyone else has said - if it sounds good to you then it's good enough.[/quote]

The best rig I ever had was my early AH150 and painted (Series 1???) 4x10. Clear as a bell and all the balls in the world. Enough power for any gig I ever did. Wish I still had it/could still carry it. Also had a 300SMX which was loud as hell but didn't sound quite as good, although it still sounded great; once again matched with a simple 1153 it had power enough to backline at any gig I did. In fact I sold it to a mate and went to see him using it, and it sounded incredible and filled the room. I love Trace gear, I just can't carry it anymore! I much preferred Mark King's sound when he was using TE and Leigh Gorman, who has one of my favourite sounds of all time, used TE too.