Why become a member? ×

OK, this is a possibly weird question about gigging...

Telebass

With one of my bands my wife was paid for doing the lights. The band members agreed on that without discussing with us so that was good of them.
Generally speaking tho in most bands she wouldn't be paid as a member of the band.
I would usually just half my earnings with her.
Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

My wife comes along when (a) she can (she's a train driver of all things so works shifts) and (b ) when she can find a friend to come with her and (c ) when a seat is guaranteed. She sees it as an excuse for a night out.

She's a very good photographer and has taken some great photos over the years too. She even once "bounced" a guy who was giving me hassle. Well, I wouldn't mess with her :unsure:

Edited by thepurpleblob

I'm with the OP on this one. My late missus would come along to gigs on special occasions if she felt like it, but she wouldn't have wanted to come to work with me and see the same stuff over and over, any more than I would have wanted to go and sit in the university where she worked every day and listen to her delivering lectures.

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1500545337' post='3338568']

Out of curiosity Blue are they paid for this ?

Les
[/quote]

Hi Les.

Yes, but not the same rate as the on stage talent.

The band like any band has strengths and weaknesses. For a primarily bar band business structure is our strength.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1500572931' post='3338828']
Hi Les.

Yes, but not the same rate as the on stage talent.

The band like any band has strengths and weaknesses. For a primarily bar band business structure is our strength.

Blue
[/quote]

Could you gig without them Blue ?

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1500574948' post='3338853']

Could you gig without them Blue ?
[/quote]

It would be tough Les, no one else in the band knows how to run sound & lights or sell merch. I don't think the musicians would even know how, when or who to ask for payment.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1500588135' post='3338999']
It would be tough Les, no one else in the band knows how to run sound & lights or sell merch. I don't think the musicians would even know how, when or who to ask for payment.

Blue
[/quote]

Interesting. To each their own but I would feel exposed in that situation.

cheers

Les

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1500600883' post='3339045']
Out of curiosity, exposed to what?

Blue
[/quote]

Sorry, didn't mean to be cryptic. I mean I wouldn't want to struggle to gig because someone who isn't actually in the band couldn't make it.

Les

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1500602189' post='3339046']

Sorry, didn't mean to be cryptic. I mean I wouldn't want to struggle to gig because someone who isn't actually in the band couldn't make it.

Les
[/quote]

You mean someone that doesn't perform on stage, right?

Yeah, it would be a huge struggle. I've never had much interest in running sound. I have enough trouble eqing my own rig. 😁

I don't have the apptitude for that stuff, sound or lights. cross over, sends, receive, house vs stage,subs, monitor mix, powered, not powered. It would be a disaster.

Asking for payment would be awkward for me as well.

I'd have to live with being exposed.

However, I'm good at setting up and tear down. Manual labor had never been a problem for me.

Blue

Edited by blue

We only really play weddings or functions now.
All the band members have partners. But the rule is, if you need an invite to be there in the first place, the partners can't come.
We usually play maybe 3 pub gigs a year, just for prospective clients to be able to come and watch. They can come along to them if they want

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1500505752' post='3338387']
It suits me because I kind of feel responsible for her when I'd rather concentrate on what I'm doing than making sure she's ok.
[/quote]

Thinking about it, I think that's part of why I don't mind Mrs Pook not coming - well said.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1500605698' post='3339047']

You mean someone that doesn't perform on stage, right?

Yeah, it would be a huge struggle. I've never had much interest in running sound. I have enough trouble eqing my own rig. 😁

I don't have the apptitude for that stuff, sound or lights. cross over, sends, receive, house vs stage,subs, monitor mix, powered, not powered. It would be a disaster.

Asking for payment would be awkward for me as well.

I'd have to live with being exposed.

However, I'm good at setting up and tear down. Manual labor had never been a problem for me.

Blue
[/quote]

From the financial calculations people here have previously made these four hour gigs are already tight, that was before we knew there were more mouths to feed! On top of that if they are getting paid even less than the band members for at least six hours work they must be daft!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1500632401' post='3339215']...they must be daft!
[/quote]

...or enthusiastic..? I did the lights and trucking for the band our eldest was in for several years; never got (nor asked for...) a penny. Whilst I was fit enough, I loved it; it took my mind well away from my IT work, and they were great lads. Happy daze..! B)

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1500632401' post='3339215']

From the financial calculations people here have previously made these four hour gigs are already tight, that was before we knew there were more mouths to feed! On top of that if they are getting paid even less than the band members for at least six hours work they must be daft!
[/quote]

They've been doing it for 12 years and seem to have a blast. Many band don't last 12 months.

I've been with the band for the past 6 years. Seems completely normal to me. It's like a big fun family.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1500633494' post='3339229']

...or enthusiastic..? I did the lights and trucking for the band our eldest was in for several years; never got (nor asked for...) a penny. Whilst I was fit enough, I loved it; it took my mind well away from my IT work, and they were great lads. Happy daze..! B)
[/quote]

Yeah, it's been said to me;

"I get to work with and watch my husband do something he loves"

If I can get a woman to stay anywhere near me for more than 5 minutes, I'm doing good.

Blue

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1500632401' post='3339215']

From the financial calculations people here have previously made these four hour gigs are already tight.[/quote]

I thought you guys didn't care about the money.

Edited by blue

The Function band i've been asked to join is in it for the money but not me. I'm just doing it to play some gigs and have a bit of fun.
My fuel costs to any gigs or even rehearsals for next few mths will easily take up any gig money i earn.
Maybe if we get regular gigs it will pay but if its one a month it might just cover my fuel costs :lol:

Just in it for the love of the job. :D

Who needs money. You only spend it anyways. As long as your happy. :P :biggrin: :thank_you: :dash1:

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1500641697' post='3339309']
The Function band i've been asked to join is in it for the money but not me. I'm just doing it to play some gigs and have a bit of fun.
My fuel costs to any gigs or even rehearsals for next few mths will easily take up any gig money i earn.
Maybe if we get regular gigs it will pay but if its one a month it might just cover my fuel costs :lol:

Just in it for the love of the job. :D

Who needs money. You only spend it anyways. As long as your happy. :P :biggrin: :thank_you: :dash1:

Dave
[/quote]

Perhaps it's just me, but I've always found being in a band with guys whose motivation is money when your's is just to enjoy yourself can be a recipe for disaster. I've found myself playing awful gigs I wouldn't have touched just because they pay. I'm probably too bitter and miserable though :lol:

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1500642294' post='3339319']

Perhaps it's just me, but I've always found being in a band with guys whose motivation is money when your's is just to enjoy yourself can be a recipe for disaster. I've found myself playing awful gigs I wouldn't have touched just because they pay. I'm probably too bitter and miserable though :lol:
[/quote]

I have one of those tonight. I'll have fun and make the best of it, but I need the money for bills, every cent of it.

Blue

Either my wife or I have to be at home for our 14 year old Daughter, so when I'm out gigging, she's usually at home. It has affected the number of bookings the guitarist accepts, or so I'm led to believe by the drummer, as his wife is quite an enthusiastic drinker and likes to have a drinking partner at gigs. The previous bass player's wife was quite a drinker too, so the pair of them would have quite a session whenever the band played. When I joined, the guitarist asked, "Is your other half coming to the gig?" for the first few weeks. As the guitarists wife seldom comes to gigs any longer, the number of gigs has dropped