Why become a member? ×

Where to get exotic wood from?

SH73

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1490708099' post='3267230']

Old pianos may be made of solid wood, but there's no knowing what species that might be. One thing you can be sure of is the veneer may be walnut, but the frame wood won't be. A piano's sound comes from the frame (usually metal) and the strings. There isn't much of a "tonewood" discussion in piano circles. So the wood covering is mainly aesthetics. So it won't be too solid.
[/quote]

Actually the soundboard is a critical element of a pianos sound and is made of wood.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1490712991' post='3267301']

Actually the soundboard is a critical element of a pianos sound and is made of wood.
[/quote]

True, but sadly it wont be thick enough to make a solid guitar body from. I like The Greek's suggestion - you can find some wonderful timber for nowt or not much, although people are becoming more aware of the fact that it has value. A couple of years ago, I found a lot of first class mahogany in a skip outside an office that was being refurbished. The builders were ripping it out and chucking it away. I asked if I could take it and they were quite happy for me to do so. Gave it to a luthier friend, who is still using it to make necks to this day.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1490721154' post='3267398']
That's good. Is it suitable for a body?
[/quote]

It's a bit like a giant acoustic guitar top - here's a steinway one being made...It pretty much the same size as the frame..You'd need to laminate it... However cracked soundboards are one of the main reasons grand pianos are sold as scrap..

Edited by markstuk

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1490709483' post='3267250']
The purpose of my posts have been to get people to think about alternative sources of wood. For instance, [i]when I were a lad[/i], school desk tops were solid wood as were park benches (Mahogany). The benches in our Science dept where also made of Mahogany.

Jezz (Jabba the Gut) blew our minds last year with his two basses which are apparently an old door and a shelf ([i]and he thinks we believe that) :lol: :lol:[/i]

Reclamation Yards must be full of old timbers but they know what it's worth..the trick is finding somewhere that doesn't. Know of any old buildings being pulled down? Schools and hospitals are a prime target, old churches and church halls might turn out to be a treasure trove of old timber.

Alternatively just type in "real/reclaimed wood" on ebay but follow Grangur's advice about checking the end grain.

My point is, there's probably some really nice timber sitting under your nose which will come to your attention the day after you've paid out so try a bit of lateral thinking and possibly save yourself a few bob which you can spend on parts instead.

Happy hunting fellas..
[/quote]
I'm looking perhaps not as hard as I should. Unfortunately some bargains on e bay are miles away.Good post, Thanks.

[quote name='Ashweb' timestamp='1490739508' post='3267633']

Does this help?

[attachment=241942:punctuation_saves_lives_poster.jpg]
[/quote]
I don't understand where the comma should go. Please explain, because I'm confused.

Robbins Timber will do you 50 x 200mm ash for £23.06 a metre; I guess you could make a three piece body from 1.5m or so? But if it was me, I'd want to see the boards before buying, to make sure you got a nice straight-grained bit, preferably quarter-sawn. So I'd be more inclined to find a local furniture-maker or woodyard where you can pick the right board from a stack.
http://www.robbins.co.uk/pdf/Retail_Pricelist.pdf

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1490775009' post='3267779']
I don't understand where the comma should go. Please explain, because I'm confused.
[/quote]

It was more of a general hint about correct punctuation rather than anything specific about a comma in the sentence. Sorry for any confusion caused.

[quote name='JoeEvans' timestamp='1490807142' post='3268240']
Robbins Timber will do you 50 x 200mm ash for £23.06 a metre; I guess you could make a three piece body from 1.5m or so? But if it was me, I'd want to see the boards before buying, to make sure you got a nice straight-grained bit, preferably quarter-sawn. So I'd be more inclined to find a local furniture-maker or woodyard where you can pick the right board from a stack.
http://www.robbins.co.uk/pdf/Retail_Pricelist.pdf
[/quote]
Cheers. There's one nearby in Kent but a bit pricey.