Why become a member? ×

Finished! A Bridge Too Far?

Andyjr1515

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1494250763' post='3294317']
Just heard from G&W who have promised to send replacement parts with the new order I placed over the weekend. Good customer service so far....
[/quote]

At least that's positive but a shame it was far from correct in the first place. Hope it's sorted quickly.

Cheers

[quote name='Jabba_the_gut' timestamp='1494274694' post='3294664']

At least that's positive but a shame it was far from correct in the first place. Hope it's sorted quickly.

Cheers
[/quote]
Just had confirmation it's been shipped so should get them in a couple of days.

Full marks to G&W for their response, but there clearly is a problem somewhere in their supply chain. I ran a number of manufacturing operations when I used to work for a living and this illustrates one of the things I had zero tolerance on.
Specifically:
Things go wrong in the best operations - you make the absolute best endeavours to make them right but if it is wrong, you put it right quickly and without question. On this count, G&W have scored top marks.

But someone, in the assembly of the unit (probably not G&W themselves), KNEW this was wrong, because they loosened 5 of the 8 set screws to allow the bearings to rotate. The three bearings that worked OK were fully tightened so clearly that was how they would normally be set. So that person knew it was wrong, they knew it wouldn't work properly and they hid it. Now THAT, my friends, is unforgivable...and that's the person who owes me a fretboard...out of his or her f*****g termination pay packet....

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1494364071' post='3295448']
Can't you fill and recut? 0.5mm is less than the width of the fret either side of the tang. A bit of flame maple binding might look nice too...
[/quote]
If it was a one-off only piece I could but this is a slice off a maple beam I still have. Pretty sure my bandsaw will cut me another OK board and I'd like to do that if possible. Filling and recutting is a bit like plugging screw holes and redrilling - OK as a last resort but much better if you don't have to do it in the first place :)

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1494364967' post='3295463']
I see. Flipping nuisance either way.
[/quote]
Well, so far it is the only major glitch...and that is pretty unusual ;)

No, I'm pleased with the build so far. It's taking a bit longer than most of my recent builds, but more because I'm thinking the steps through thoroughly before acting more than issues like this :)

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1494364071' post='3295448']
Can't you fill and recut? 0.5mm is less than the width of the fret either side of the tang. A bit of flame maple binding might look nice too...
[/quote]

Wrong attitude..."[i]near enough is good enough[/i]" is the mentality that lost British manufacturing it's position as world leader. I asked Andy to do a second build for me because I know he respects the adage "[i]Do the best you can whenever you can[/i]" and that's, in my mind anyway, what Andy's reputation is built on. Just look at his other builds....Kert's bass (reluctantly for sale) is a prime example of this.

[quote name='Jabba_the_gut' timestamp='1493988080' post='3292401']
Hey Andy,

I presume this will be finished for the Midlands Bass Bash?.....
[/quote]

No staring though!!! You'll only be allowed to look at it through one eye for a maximum of 30 seconds - can't have you wearing out a great view!!

...and definitely no touching ;) ;)

Hope you all have a great day..

Latest tracking info says the washers have got to France. I reckon Friday - just in time for me to be out of action building-wise for half a week :rolleyes:

Anyway - in anticipation, I've cut and thicknessed my last but one length of maple. Finger's crossed the replacement washers fixes the problem!

Here it is, ready and waiting:

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1494443031' post='3296070']
just in time for me to be out of action building-wise for half a week :rolleyes:

[/quote]
plan the next build then! I figure you're builds go at least 3 times the speed of mine... and these inspire me, so you'll need at least another one following

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1494444361' post='3296089']

plan the next build then! I figure you're builds go at least 3 times the speed of mine... and these inspire me, so you'll need at least another one following
[/quote]
:)

Actually, the next one (actually two) is already on the drawing board but, he says with some trepidation, they are over to the dark side - 6-string electrics. One for a guy I've known for ages on one of the other forums and one for me :)

And after that, another bass for someone known to many of you...but more about that closer to the time ;)

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1494514004' post='3296659']
There are no compromises on quality. I can definitely vouch for that!
[/quote]
Thanks, Kert :D

The good news is that the replacement washers arrived this morning. The one of the left is the replacement one - the O.D. is about the same as the inner race of the bearing it's clamping up against. There were 3 sizes on the assembly I received, none anywhere near the correct one. Most were the ones on the right - wide enough to fully press against the race cover and the edge of the outer race - hence them clamping up when tightened. The one in the middle was obviously one the operator found on the floor or in his/her pocket when they were assembling it :rolleyes:

Anyway, with the correct washers installed, guess what? Yup...the slots are in the right places. An afternoon's work and I'm back to where I was at the weekend. This is with the new one temporarily placed in position:

Overall view about the mitre jig now it's been fixed?

Well - OK overall.

+'s[list]
[*]Nicely machined. Looks quality despite my poor experience with the actual quality.
[*]Much easier to produce an accurate position and depth than hand doing with a block. Takes a lot of the fear factor out...provided it is set up and used correctly (but see below)
[*]Much quicker than hand marking and cutting with a block
[/list]

-'s[list]
[*]Pity it doesn't incorporate clamps. I was fortunate in that my bench allowed me to use the bench clamps:
[/list]

[list]
[*]No instructions on set up or use [b]at all[/b]. And if it isn't properly set up you simply get your slots wrong quicker....a kind of efficiency boost, I suppose, but not necessarily in a good way :rolleyes: I'm going to have a look on their website, but I don't recall there being any web-based instructions either. If I'm wrong, I'll correct this statement (just checked - definitely no instructions). So to see how to use it, probably means looking on the LMI or Stewmac site or YouTube Luthier Tips du jour (featuring LMI).....hmm...well THOSE look nice jigs....
[/list]

Anyway - the extra wide radius block also came, so I can now look forward to sanding until insanity sets in :crazy:

First job was the radius sanding the freboard. Wow - they don't call it rock maple for nothing. Knackered!

Nowadays I set up a simple jig (basically just a straight-edge) to make it easier to apply some muscle to the radius block without skewing or scooping the board:

Note also the soft-lead pencil scribbles and the centre line - this lets me see if I'm adding an unintended skew and also I know that as soon as the centre-line starts fading I've gone far enough. What I'm aiming for is an even sanding either side of the centre. The sawdust in the slots is a good indicator too :) :

After a long long time and lots of graft, I have a radiused fretboard:

Then I can start carving and sanding the body to the same radius and flush with the fretboard. Lots more to do on this but this is the general idea:

Don't worry about the lower horn /neck join, Mick - has still to be radiused properly, but here's how it's starting to develop:

You can never tell with these ambitious builds...if it all went wrong it might feel like a lemon..... it might even sound like a lemon....but whatever.... it's going to [i]look[/i] f*****g BEAUTIFUL :D

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1494596838' post='3297254']
Maybe you should offer to write a short instruction manual for the mitre jig on the understanding they let you have it for free and you get your money back? <_<
[/quote]
I may well do a short tutorial for one of the other builder's forums. If I do, I'll post it here too and, if I'm feeling magnanimous, send it to G&W on the understanding that they check the rest of their stock for correct bearing washers (a 5 sec job at most) while they are at it ;)

[quote name='Jabba_the_gut' timestamp='1494597955' post='3297261']
You will have sorted the frets and put strings on it ready for tomorrow won't you? :D
[/quote]
Only if you will have finished the second cheap build you have promised is on the cards after the magnificent recent one :lol: Going to be a long night for us both, then... :D

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1494602591' post='3297308']
I'm thinking of taking my curing rail (ok, repurposed clothes rail) to hang my incomplete, curing parts on. Plenty of room for others if you two are doing "red-eye" builds tonight :D
[/quote]
That could be useful, Norris. As you can imagine, this is impossible to sit on a stand :lol: