The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

Just now, AndyTravis said:

Was it not Laser Blue? 

Either way. It’s ace

The attitude mk1s came in two colours, thunder blue and lightening red. Billy’s sig BB was a custom 3000 in rose blue. But yeah, either way, awesome colours. 

17 minutes ago, andy67 said:

The attitude mk1s came in two colours, thunder blue and lightening red. Billy’s sig BB was a custom 3000 in rose blue. But yeah, either way, awesome colours. 

Think the special (cheaper model) is referred to as laser. That’s the one I wanted - got a surf green, ah well.

30 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Think the special (cheaper model) is referred to as laser. That’s the one I wanted - got a surf green, ah well.

I have a sea foam green mk2, wanted black though. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

If you were to choose the orange 414 would that indicate that not just one but both the recent 424s were superfluous? 😇

No. The 1300 and 414 are wearing 40-100’s and the the 424 wears 45-105.

All different 😉

And the Sunburst has a new home in Kent.

Can I rejoin the BB club please? With this wee number:

BBG4sII in white.

Theres a story to this. My Dad and I visited sound control in glasgow around 96 looking for my first proper bass. I had been playing a cheap p bass copy which was OK but i wanted something a bit special. I picked this out, and my mum and dad got it for my christmas. Regrettably, around 6 years later, i thought it would be cool to put a bass trem on it,  strip the paint, then defret it! I also painted a red stripe on it. I then sold it on ebay. 

Anyways, I've been hunting another one down for years for nostalgia sake, but it seems they mostly came in different colours other than white. This one came up on Facebook marketplace so had to go for it! 

Getting this in my hands make me regret mutilating the original even more! It's actually a very capable bass! feels great to play, and the hardware is solid. Sound-wise lets it down slightly. possibly because I'm used to having a mid EQ, but because it only has bass treble you're kinda limited - but it's easily giggable, which hopefully i will soon!

I love it. brings back some seriously nice memories of jamming to tunes in my bedroom, through my hifi, with my big earphones. I wonder if theres some muscle memory going on which makes this feel better than it actually is, because I played this ALOT! haha

2NT01860.jpg

2NT01862.jpg

2NT01863.jpg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

No. I’m going Gotoh Lollipop in gold for the build bb.

I had 3 full sets of the BB tuners at one point.

Now I have some parts. Might be enough to make up 2 full tuners?

With your parts too?

will look for you @EJWW

Many thanks Andy 👍

13 hours ago, Elfrasho said:

Can I rejoin the BB club please? With this wee number:

BBG4sII in white.

Theres a story to this. My Dad and I visited sound control in glasgow around 96 looking for my first proper bass. I had been playing a cheap p bass copy which was OK but i wanted something a bit special. I picked this out, and my mum and dad got it for my christmas. Regrettably, around 6 years later, i thought it would be cool to put a bass trem on it,  strip the paint, then defret it! I also painted a red stripe on it. I then sold it on ebay. 

Anyways, I've been hunting another one down for years for nostalgia sake, but it seems they mostly came in different colours other than white. This one came up on Facebook marketplace so had to go for it! 

Getting this in my hands make me regret mutilating the original even more! It's actually a very capable bass! feels great to play, and the hardware is solid. Sound-wise lets it down slightly. possibly because I'm used to having a mid EQ, but because it only has bass treble you're kinda limited - but it's easily giggable, which hopefully i will soon!

I love it. brings back some seriously nice memories of jamming to tunes in my bedroom, through my hifi, with my big earphones. I wonder if theres some muscle memory going on which makes this feel better than it actually is, because I played this ALOT! haha

2NT01860.jpg

2NT01862.jpg

2NT01863.jpg

I had one in black which I acquired for very little. Great bass for what I paid...

31 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

The 424x sounds superb. I have one with old flatwound Chromes on it and love it. Seems to suit  the music we do down to the ground. 

Recently got 425x. This one has Cobalt flats on it. So far so good with that one.

Might put some new round wounds on BB 414 to get some top  end brightness.

Andy what neck do you prefer out of the 414 and 424.

For me the neck on the 424x is just perfect.

13 minutes ago, mikeycrikey said:

The 424x sounds superb. I have one with old flatwound Chromes on it and love it. Seems to suit  the music we do down to the ground. 

Recently got 425x. This one has Cobalt flats on it. So far so good with that one.

Might put some new round wounds on BB 414 to get some top  end brightness.

Andy what neck do you prefer out of the 414 and 424.

For me the neck on the 424x is just perfect.

Tough call. Widths are like for like, I quite like how the 414 is more like the olderBB1300/1200/300/350’s I’ve owned - a bit flatter.

The 424 is Bob on the same as the 1024 I had but I prefer the raw sound of the 424/414 to the 1024 which was smoother.

Want a red metallic 3000 now…

4 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Tough call. Widths are like for like, I quite like how the 414 is more like the olderBB1300/1200/300/350’s I’ve owned - a bit flatter.

The 424 is Bob on the same as the 1024 I had but I prefer the raw sound of the 424/414 to the 1024 which was smoother.

Want a red metallic 3000 now…

I find the 414 neck a lot slimmer  than my other BBs . Getting close to Jazz width.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

Controversy…I think I prefer the 424x to my other BB’s 🤭

And why is that?
I have a 1025 (I love it) and I was looking to buy a 4 string (for another band I have). Maybe a 1024. But it’s very difficult to find one, specially in my country. 
So, can the 424 be a good alternative? 

7 minutes ago, acroxixo said:

And why is that?
I have a 1025 (I love it) and I was looking to buy a 4 string (for another band I have). Maybe a 1024. But it’s very difficult to find one, specially in my country. 
So, can the 424 be a good alternative? 

Just the bass which sounds most like me.

the 414/424. I preferred the brighter tone of the 414 to the 1024. And I used my 1200’s in passive mode mostly - like a 414/424

I wonder if someone with a 1600 or 3000 would trade for a 1300…

• Like 1