Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

4 hours ago, MoJo said:

There should be professional support groups for those with an uncontrollable fixation on one particular brand

Nonsense...all Bass players need professional support groups... please don't discriminate...😉😉

• Like 2

Recently acquired this Taiwanese built BB300 on a whim. What really attracted me was the reverse P pickup and the 2 simple 'sucked sweetie' knobs. And the fact it just looks cool 😎 

It had 1 wonky tuner and one non original one and it has a new generic but decent replacement bridge. 

@AndyTravis very helpfully supplied me with 2 proper original Yamaha tuners from his tool box which I have now fitted and work a treat.

Now just need to spend some time with it but my BB414 is such an all round monster of an instrument that cost so very little I've decided to put some flats on the BB300 and experiment a bit to try to find a role for it. 

Apart from the pickup the only other thing I really notice is the neck which is really chunky, far more so than the 414.

Time will tell if we bond but you'll hear about it on the BB mega thread first 😁

20210608_190309.jpg

• Like 6

Guest Corto14

Speaking of chunky necks, which bb has the chunkiest? I have a Fender AO Precision and I really like the neck so I’m wondering which bb series have a similar “feeling “

I was thinking about the bb1024 but they are impossible to find or try…

10 minutes ago, Corto14 said:

Speaking of chunky necks, which bb has the chunkiest? I have a Fender AO Precision and I really like the neck so I’m wondering which bb series have a similar “feeling “

I’ve got a 1024 and the neck is definitely not chunky, it’s a 40mm nut and I would say a similar profile to the 414 

8 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve got a 1024 and the neck is definitely not chunky, it’s a 40mm nut and I would say a similar profile to the 414 

Yeah, I had a lovely 1024x - the 424x has the same profile, as narrow and a bit deeper than the 414.

Wide and flat - think the bb300/350/450 might be the way.

but they’re not that wide.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

The nut might be only 40mm but the 1st / 12th fret depths are 22mm / 25mm. To give a comparison, a Vintera 50s P is 20.8mm / 22.9mm

I think the vintera has a more rounded shape which probably makes it feel bigger 

• Like 1

Just now, Reggaebass said:

I think the vintera has a more rounded shape which probably makes it feel bigger 

That sounds like me talking to the wife…

(sorry…couldn’t resist…also me talking to my wife…ok, I’ll stop…also also me talking to the wife)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

That sounds like me talking to the wife…

(sorry…couldn’t resist…also me talking to my wife…ok, I’ll stop…also also me talking to the wife)

Reading back, I asked for that one didn’t I 😁

3 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Didn’t know that,   it was a shame, I really wanted to like it, the sound of them are amazing 

The standards (which are wonderful p/j basses) have wide/flat necks. Like my 62 precision actually.

And the specials which are “diet” attitudes with mono output and the woofer pickup are more like the BB424x

Owned all of them…sold, stupidly.

• Like 2

I've noticed that some current MIJ Ps have 40mm nuts and are called U shaped, and have been wondering if that means they're like the 424 / 1024. And if so, if that combination of fairly narrow nut with decent depth is a Japanese thing. Whatever it is, I want more of it.

9 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Didn’t know that,   it was a shame, I really wanted to like it, the sound of them are amazing 

The attitude has the biggest neck I’ve ever played on a four string bass. My mk2 is 23 years old, still looks new and sits in a case under my bed unused. Just can get my hands round the neck. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Corto14 said:

I don't know if this helps, but the BB1024 thickness specs are the same as the Warmoth standard profile, which they call "a medium thickness most players enjoy".

That neck tho has a 43mm nut, so how different that kind of thickness feels once stretched across the greater width, search me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andy67 said:

The attitude has the biggest neck I’ve ever played on a four string bass. My mk2 is 23 years old, still looks new and sits in a case under my bed unused. Just can get my hands round the neck. 

Does the current Attitude 3 have a more shallow neck? The Yamaha site lists its specs at 44.5mm / 20mm / 24mm.

3 hours ago, andy67 said:

I would love to have a go - I’ve not got the biggest hands, but seem to manage with huge necks.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I would love to have a go - I’ve not got the biggest hands, but seem to manage with huge necks.

I’m not on Facebook anymore but there are quite a few members from England on the Attitude page who may be in your vicinity and could possibly assist with this. Be worth a look 👀 

Edited by andy67