Al Krow

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Tasty models.

There are two 2024/Xs for sale on BC at the moment. Darryl's has been up for what seems like ages and is identical in price but 0.5kg heavier. Personally prefer the non-X version myself but I'd jump on either one at the right price. 

An Olympic white one with a few dinks went on Ebay a couple months ago for around £1250. Ummed and ahhed but I just couldn't bring myself to cross the 1k mark for a lovely but basic instrument. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I've noticed that I the tone knob on my 424 is either on 0 or 10 - it may as well be a switch.

On the recent varitone thread, attention was drawn to this rotary switch made by@KiOgon -

An alternative for the tone pot, a 4 way rotary switch that gives 2 tone positions + Bypass and Kill/Off.
Clockwise operation gives;
A = Off or Kill
B = On - Bypass, no tone pot/resistor or capacitor, straight through output
C = .033uF PolyDrop capacitor, changed from .047 for better differential
D = 0.1uF PolyDrop capacitor, Old School deep velvet tone

I was wondering how .033 and .1 would relate to whatever it is that I already have in my 424, and how they would behave with the three positions of the pickup selector. 

Edited by Ricky Rioli

46 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I've noticed that I the tone knob on my 424 is either on 0 or 10 - it may as well be a switch.

On the recent varitone thread, attention was drawn to this rotary switch

I don't know why it's like that, but address the issue by getting a working pot.  It should be audio taper.

The varitone approaches things from a different angle, giving you the "tone rolled off all the way" sound, but with two variations.  Do you like that fully rolled-off tone currently?  You'll lose the ability to have it quarter- or half-rolled off, personally I use those the most, and rarely all the way off.

I was wondering how .033 and .1 would relate to whatever it is that I already have in my 424, and how they would behave with the three positions of the pickup selector. 

I don't know what the stock cap is in a BB424 but it should say on the side of the cap, or post a photo here if you're not sure.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

I don't know why it's like that, but address the issue by getting a working pot.  It should be audio taper.

The pot is working fine, the reason that

1 hour ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I've noticed that I the tone knob on my 424 is either on 0 or 10 - it may as well be a switch

is because my hand never sets it anywhere other than the two extremes.

7 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

is because my hand never sets it anywhere other than the two extremes.

Ah, I misunderstood!

• Like 1

https://youtu.be/valxsh2KTGI

A band I used to play with invited me back to rerecord some old material. I figured as this is one of the more bass prominent songs and was recorded on my faithful BB it made sense to share it here 👍

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MDWagstaff said:

https://youtu.be/valxsh2KTGI

A band I used to play with invited me back to rerecord some old material. I figured as this is one of the more bass prominent songs and was recorded on my faithful BB it made sense to share it here 👍

I really loved the follow on track - Night Light. OMG Matt Jones' vocals - awesome!

• Like 1

Are there any BB1100s players out there who have found another BB (or another non Yamaha bass) with the same neck profile. If you’ve got one you’ll know how good it feels... incredibly flat, a little wider than a jazz. I bought a BB1600 and a Bb2000 assuming they would have necks that were similar or the same. I was wrong: they feel much thicker, more akin to a P neck. So, is the 1100s neck shared by another vintage BB or will I just have to find another 1100s?

1 minute ago, BassApprentice said:

You can go years without seeing an orange BB for sale and now there's 2 in as many days 😂

Very tempted... 

I owned the 1024 - mega special bass.

the 414 won for me - but I’m clueless as my entire basschat history will prove.

Was tempted by the 414 (obviously idiot move) - still hoping @marleaux62 is selling the bb1300 at some point - the more I ask, the more he says no 😂

• Like 1

I've had a 425 and loved the neck but just found it ungainly overall, I doubt a 4 string would be much different but they look SO COOL 😅

22 minutes ago, MoJo said:

Leicestershire

The People's Republic of Rutland didn't like being called Leicestershire even when they were in Leicestershire 

• Haha 1

I’ve messaged the seller. It’d cost the same in fuel for me to go and get it.

Offered to have it collected by a courier and she’s said “someone’s just messaged to say they’ll collect tomorrow...”

🤨😔

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

grrrr 😉

I might have saved you some heartache.

The photo's she sent show way too much relief so hopefully the truss rod works.

1 minute ago, Horizontalste said:

I might have saved you some heartache.

The photo's she sent show way too much relief so hopefully the truss rod works.

Let me know how you get on.

if it’s goosed - let me know etc, wanted a project 😊

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

Let me know how you get on.

if it’s goosed - let me know etc, wanted a project 😊

Will do.

From the pictures it definitely needs a good set-up, some new flats & a full decontam.

Just now, Horizontalste said:

Will do.

From the pictures it definitely needs a good set-up, some new flats & a full decontam.

Well...I know where it is, and you know where to find me hahaha

• Thanks 1