Al Krow

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

2 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Btw, the other day I was complaining about the blend knob on my TRBX being of limited utility.

Since then I've read - and again the technical details went miles over my head - that blend knobs work much better on active basses. My opinion had been based solely from using it on passive.

And now I think about it, I've noticed that Yamaha have Vol-Blend on active basses (eg BB734, TRBX604) and Vol-Vol on passive (eg BBP34, BB434, TRBX174)

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

I prefer blend knobs to volume / volume, but yes, you are right, they aren't as useful on passive basses, as at full blend your pickups have half the volume down anyway.

1 hour ago, jrixn1 said:

Those are pot tapers (if anyone didn't know).  If you use the correct pot, it will be full volume both in the middle and at either end.

It's an ineresting point. On my purely active Spector which blends purely via separate V/V knobs for each pup, if one pup is maxed at 10/10 I only really notice the other pup starting to impact tone at 7/10 and only having a significant tonal impact at 9 or 10, which kinda ties in with your comments above. 

I think there are two different issues.  The first is the blend knob not doing much actual blending.  On some basses I've found them to behave more like a three-way switch; i.e. just a small amount off centre sounds the same as rotating it all the way. Same with VVT; one pickup on full + one pickup nearly on full is not much different to one pickup on full + the other one off.

The second is using the correct type of blend pot.  In the centre position (i.e. on the detent, if you have one), you should be getting 100% neck and 100% bridge.  If you're only getting 50% neck and 50% bridge, you have the wrong pot taper.

However, if you get mega volume and tone drop on equal blend, it might be that your pickups are out of phase. (I think this might apply more for a bass with identical pickups, like a jazz bass? Not sure.)  If so, swap the wires of just one pickup.

Edited by jrixn1
  • Like 1

There are electrical differences too - two volumes uses two 250k Ohm (or whatever value) pots... a blend control uses three 250 Ohm tracks (in two pots). 
The pots at 100% in the centre are labelled MN 

One of the main selling points of some of John East's preamps is he uses active buffered blend so each pickup isn't effecting the other. 

I kind of know the answer but I'll ask 

Seem a BB425 for sale not local etc.

No hard case only gig bag but will post and bank transfer only no PayPal.

Should I just stay away ? 

2 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Someone has to ask.....is it 🔴 ?

Yes it is 😊

• Like 1

Audere preamps are a good solution to the blend issue. Instead of passive mixing just before the preamp like most active basses, the preamp buffers each pickup individually and the blend then works more like the cross fader on a DJ mixer. Nice smooth transition end to end rather than impedance issues getting in the way that make it behave more like a 3-way switch.

I don’t know if there are any other preamps that take this approach? Only downside I guess would be that you wouldn’t faithfully replicate the tones you get from a passive bass.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

I don’t know if there are any other preamps that take this approach? Only downside I guess would be that you wouldn’t faithfully replicate the tones you get from a passive bass.

There is at least one where it is an option

13 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

Audere preamps are a good solution to the blend issue. Instead of passive mixing just before the preamp like most active basses, the preamp buffers each pickup individually and the blend then works more like the cross fader on a DJ mixer. Nice smooth transition end to end rather than impedance issues getting in the way that make it behave more like a 3-way switch.

From memory John East pre-amps have an 'active' style blend. 

Quote:

• Totally independent active and passive signal paths guarantee completely smooth blend when set to active.

2 minutes ago, GreeneKing said:

From memory John East pre-amps have an 'active' style blend. 

Quote:

• Totally independent active and passive signal paths guarantee completely smooth blend when set to active.

it's almost as if I hadn't said that a few posts up! :D 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

it's almost as if I hadn't said that a few posts up! :D 

Yep I missed your post only seeing DannyBuoys where he asks if there's any other than Audere.

Edited by GreeneKing

Will talk to a guy about refinishing one of my 1000ma's in candy apple red today....  I think I like that 😄 

• Like 2

I know the BB’s are the thing here. I keep want an SB though too.

Great shape, sort of the midway between the SBV samurai basses and the BB’s...I think chronologically as well as in appearance.

A885ECB0-7C20-4759-B8A4-C228CDAB15BF.jpeg

CA4D509B-5D7D-4342-AADB-0A6D6A9F86E2.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Did you? 😛

Yes I can't just bank transfer money unknown etc 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, pete.young said:

This looks familiar - I think the seller is a member here.

using the search facility a member called @Sean posted in 2017 on a thread called "best Yamaha bass on the market" that he had one. He also is listed as living in Gloucester... coincidence? Who knows! :D 

(well Sean obviously) 

• Like 1

Does anyone know if you can buy the little plastic truss rod tray for a BB. 

Thank you

10 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Damn. If I had a spare grand, that would be mine.

Would these have been active too Andy?