Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

A nice red 424x came up locally on Facebook.

£300. Undoubtedly worth £300 but I’d be happier at £250 (or less).

Messaged the seller “any wiggle room on price?” - “no, that’s the price - it’s been dropped massively...”

No deal. 🙄

But other than laminated neck are you getting anything more for a 424 than a 414? There's a lovely 414 in the FS on for £160, almost half the asking price of that 424.

Btw...

18 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

There’s a guy on FB selling a load of these. Looks for Mick Mason 😂

25 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Got a 414 haven’t i 😂

True...and if I bothered to check the "wall of shame" on the OP I would know that! 

Ok, in which case, given that you have a 414 why get a 424 when the only real difference is a laminated neck - the pups and electronics are identical, right?

34 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

True...and if I bothered to check the "wall of shame" on the OP I would know that! 

Ok, in which case, given that you have a 414 why get a 424 when the only real difference is a laminated neck - the pups and electronics are identical, right?

It’s red

2 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Messaged the seller “any wiggle room on price?” - “no, that’s the price - it’s been dropped massively...”

No deal. 🙄

I saw that bass on gumtree.

In the original ad they claimed they sold for £800 new so I asked them to confirm whether its was a 424X or 1024X. They said it was a 1024X. Bloody fibber it's definitely a 424.

They've changed the ad now and are labelling it as a 424X.

I wouldn't go near the seller personally.

2 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

No deal. 🙄

To be fair if you were the seller you’d be on here saying some c-unit was just on FB haggling me over an already decently priced BB 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Just noticed, the BB PH comes fitted with the usual Yamaha EXL170: 45-65-80-100. 

Meanwhile the Bass Centre Elites steel rounds Peter Hook Custom Set is 60-65-85-105.

Anyone tried those strings on that bass yet?

Somehow I managed to get the Hooky strings on my TRBX, my BB PH is on the way though I'll definitely be putting them on it when it gets here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

£300 is top dollar 

Totally agree for a 424.

425s are a little more, in line with 5 vs 4 strings, but I got my new (albeit with an end of line discount) for £280 a couple of years back before foolishly moving it on.

25 minutes ago, viking 1 said:

Somehow I managed to get the Hooky strings on my TRBX, my BB PH is on the way though I'll definitely be putting them on it when it gets here.

Congrats! - Another BB PH owner, I think that makes your our 6th on this thread - it's definitely proving to be a real hit!  

I've included you on the 'wall of shame' on the OP :) Is this your first BB or do you have / previously had other models?

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Totally agree for a 424.

425s are a little more, in line with 5 vs 4 strings, but I got my new (albeit with an end of line discount) for £280 a couple of years back before foolishly moving it on.

Congrats! - Another BB PH owner, I think that makes your our 6th on this thread - it's definitely proving to be a real hit!  

I've included you on the 'wall of shame' on the OP :) Is this your first BB or do you have / previously had other models?

Haha thanks

It's my first BB yeah, played quite a few in the shop and was about to get one when they announced the BB PH - Hooky's a big hero of mine so knew I had to get one. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Nope

Well that's probably a "good" thing as far as the bank account is concerned then! 

PS I guess it's probably fair given the NE2 is only available as a 5 string to Joe Public (although I think the man himself also had a 6 string version?)

Edited by Al Krow

2 hours ago, EJWW said:

I saw that bass on gumtree.

In the original ad they claimed they sold for £800 new so I asked them to confirm whether its was a 424X or 1024X. They said it was a 1024X. Bloody fibber it's definitely a 424.

They've changed the ad now and are labelling it as a 424X.

I wouldn't go near the seller personally.

Yeah sounds odd! Anyone not familiar with the differences could be hoodwinked into paying 1024 money for a 424. The 424 are great basses and still well worth £300,im currently looking for a 425.

3 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Just noticed, the BB PH comes fitted with the usual Yamaha EXL170: 45-65-80-100. 

Meanwhile the Bass Centre Elites steel rounds Peter Hook Custom Set is 60-65-85-105.

Anyone tried those strings on that bass yet?

I ordered 3 sets, they are on their way from England to Italy...

• Like 1