Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

Interesting that you paid more than £250 for it.

Maybe prices of quality used "2 series" basses are going up? They certainly don't seem to be falling!

I'm pretty sure my Series 2 BB1025 would fetch as much if not more than my Series 3 BB735A. 

"Buy land a Series 2 Yamaha BB, they ain't making that any more" - MT

As ever the price of any piece of gear is what someone is willing to pay or what the seller is willing to accept. Be it an over priced bass or an underpriced bargain. There’s examples of both and that’s not to say some folks aren’t chancing a high price for a ‘desirable’ but relatively  inexpensive and not uncommon bass.

A more sinister example is the amount of ‘pictures of a play station 5’ for sale on eBay recently. Although the sellers are clearly stating in their ads that it’s only a picture of a PS5 bids are up in the £500+ region as many folk aren’t reading the description and desperate to get their hands on one. Total d-Ck move considering the financial hardships many have experienced over the year. 

I should say that the price I paid was to a retail outlet, includes shipping and was via PayPal. The bass appears to be in very good condition. I've also budgeted for a set up and fresh strings, so I'm not really bothered about a few £££ on the price, especially as it was the only example on Reverb of the only bass I was wanting to buy. I'm going to put Pro Steels on this BB, which will complement the Chromes on my TRBX. Hopefully I'll have two very different sets of feel and noise. 

13 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I should say that the price I paid was to a retail outlet, includes shipping and was via PayPal. The bass appears to be in very good condition. I've also budgeted for a set up and fresh strings, so I'm not really bothered about a few £££ on the price, especially as it was the only example on Reverb of the only bass I was wanting to buy. I'm going to put Pro Steels on this BB, which will complement the Chromes on my TRBX. Hopefully I'll have two very different sets of feel and noise. 

Yeah fair enough! Most important thing is you've got a bass incoming that you're excited about and which will hopefully give you a great deal of pleasure. And whether it was £250 or £300 it's still a LOT of bass for the money! 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

And whether it was £250 or £300 it's still a LOT of bass for the money! 

I've a G&L SB-1 on its way, too. It's possible that between them the BB424 and the SB-1 will render my TRBX604 redundant and sellable. (But selling your first bass.... I still haven't sold my one and only guitar, and I haven't played that properly since I was 17)

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Interesting that you paid more than £250 for it.

Maybe prices of quality used "2 series" basses are going up? They certainly don't seem to be falling!

I'm pretty sure my Series 2 BB1025 would fetch as much if not more than my Series 3 BB735A. 

"Buy land a Series 2 Yamaha BB, they ain't making that any more" - MT

Anyone able to show pics of the series 2 and 3 basses so I can get my head around what is what? 

8 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

But it’s a fair bit cheaper than the 2024 was isn’t it? P34 is £1500 new - I remember the P34 being north of £2k 

The 2024 had a lot of clever bits going on with the body join etc, more expensive to make. Too expensive probably - especially with the 1024 at about £600/£700

I suppose the p34 sits between 1024/2024 in real terms.

7 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

But it’s a fair bit cheaper than the 2024 was isn’t it? P34 is £1500 new - I remember the P34 being north of £2k 

Series 2 vs 3 - they don't quite equate. 

The S3 734 is both active, with a 3 band EQ, as well as passive whereas the S2 1024, its opposite number, is purely passive with vol / tone knobs and a pup selector switch. (I've got the 5 string version of both and was just playing my 1025, and absolutely loving it in solo P mode - such a gorgeous tone!). The rest of the Series 3 and Series 2 are all passive but Series 3 have V/V/T knobs vs V/T/pup switch on Series 2.

The P34 has just one of the two special "sonic treatments" that the 2024 had, which are designed to give them an immediate "played in" feel. I guess that's how Yammy justified the price cut. But I think folk realised that the 1024s were delivering 98% of what the 2024 was but at 1/3 the price, which was also part of the reason for the price drop to the P34. 

The 1024 has a harmonically richer set of pups than the 424, which are "flatter" - but some folk prefer the 424 sound precisely because of that. The build quality of the 1024 has a few enhancements too.

If you check the OP there is a comparison table of the Series 3 for reference. 

Oh yes, the Series 3 use "standard" pup sizes (the Series 2 don't) so you can swap them out. But not sure I would ever want to - the pups on the Yammy BBs are just great! 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, marleaux62 said:

Has anyone put them on the the new bbph bass yet?

Yes.... I've been using this gauge for 20 plus years... Brian from Revenge told me what gauges Hooky used.... In those days I was in a three piece and using heavy strings on the top end ... I was so close ... except that  I used 70 on the D string.... I had a BB300 modified with BB 1200s circuitry... 

• Like 3