Al Krow

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

15 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Standard 'Long' is fine. I use D'addario XL's and they work really well on my basses.

I had a set of Ernie Ball Slinky's on my P34 and took them off after a couple of days. Not sure why i didn't like them, but i didn't.

How are the XLs? I have been always curious. They are brighter than regular nickels right?

1 hour ago, javi_bassist said:

How are the XLs? I have been always curious. They are brighter than regular nickels right?

Ive been using these for years. Ive never noticed them being brighter than other nicks, like Fenders, but im so used to these now that i cant really remember what the others sounded like. I would also say these sound pretty much the same as the Slinky's.

Edited by dave_bass5

Thanks Al / Pete. I’ll sort out pics. She’s a beaut. I’ve had a look in the control cavity and there are a couple of trim pots and dip switches etc. but hard to make out from the manual what’s what. I’ll just leave it since it sounds canny the way it is. Not sure how to upload pics on here - been a member from the start but not been on much in years.

Couple of other pics. The “Slap contour”, recessed jack and interestingly carved back. And the control cavity. Any help welcome! 😀

9BB1E77B-AF16-4E2A-A6D5-E2CCAA0C2E52.jpeg

A050A78E-1982-40DA-8298-E5B9F0A1F704.jpeg

A31AB7F7-A5D9-4ABA-956D-28E6CD64DE7B.jpeg

E9E16AE4-2D8F-4A30-AE85-2A03B78BE99D.jpeg

• Like 2

@JD1 I think it works like this.

The 'mid' switch, the middle one in the row of 3 switches on the front of the guitar, has 3 positions: Off, EQ1 and EQ2 . I don't know if the 'Off' position is clockwise or anti clockwise - I suspect the latter.

One of the little white trim pots selects the central frequency for EQ1. The other trim pot selects the central frequency for EQ2.  The third pot controls the amount of cut or boost for EQ2. I think the cut/boost only works on EQ2 setting and I can't tell from the picture which white trim wheel is which.

If it sounds great where it is, probably best left alone 🙂

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, pete.young said:

@JD1 I think it works like this.

The 'mid' switch, the middle one in the row of 3 switches on the front of the guitar, has 3 positions: Off, EQ1 and EQ2 . I don't know if the 'Off' position is clockwise or anti clockwise - I suspect the latter.

One of the little white trim pots selects the central frequency for EQ1. The other trim pot selects the central frequency for EQ2.  The third pot controls the amount of cut or boost for EQ2. I think the cut/boost only works on EQ2 setting and I can't tell from the picture which white trim wheel is which.

If it sounds great where it is, probably best left alone 🙂

Told you he was our resident expert 😁

Thanks Pete. Not sure tbh. The mid pot doesn’t have a distinct 2/3 position feel - just a centre detent like the cut and boost on the treble and bass pots. I may have a tweak one day when I have time and report back!

A festive Phil Lynnott on a Yamaha BB. Merry Christmas BC'ers

Edited by MoJo
  • Like 2

I tried to set my BB735 through the body from the 1st to the 4th and the 5th through the bridge, and I don't like it much. I preferred all through the body. However, I cannot find a 5th string that I really like. I have to go back to Dunlop, since I think it's the one I liked the most. I've been using Ernie Balll Hybrid Slinky and I hate that 5th. Now, I switched back to D'addario since I tried one in a store and I liked it, but I'm not convinced. Do you guys have any recommendation? I'd like to try DR (the nickel ones) and I have to try the Super Bright by Dunlop

Dunlop Super Brights had a very floppy low B, I've tried a few different sets but keep coming back to D'Addario nickels. Although I'll be trying their NYXLs next.

8 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Dunlop Super Brights had a very floppy low B, I've tried a few different sets but keep coming back to D'Addario nickels. Although I'll be trying their NYXLs next.

I like Super Brights in my 4s because of the lower tension, but that's exactly my concern when I thought that I should try them on my 5. The NYXLs are also on my radar. So far, my best experience has been with D'Addario nickels EXL and with the Nickel Dunlop. 

I've used super brights on my 5 strings for years and found them great. I was using the steel 40 - 120 on my Sandbergs, but I've found the nickel 45-125 work better on my BB435

• Like 1

Sadly it looks and sounds to me from photos and YouTube videos that the latest incarnation of the BB is a Fender Precision Bass clone, albeit better made and a PJ, and it sounds to me very clear, but bland and forgettable.

Can someone who owns one please tell me I'm wrong and why?

I want to be wrong because I think my BB424 is superb and I hoped its successor would be even better.

Edited by Dean Vincent

16 minutes ago, Dean Vincent said:

Sadly it looks and sounds to me from photos and YouTube videos that the latest incarnation of the BB is a Fender Precision Bass clone, albeit better made and a PJ, and it sounds to me very clear, but bland and forgettable.

I want to be wrong because I think my BB424 is superb and I hoped its successor would be even better.

Personally, I've found the new alnico V pickups in my 435 to be a marked improvement over the ones in the 414 and 614 I used to have. Warmer and more organic, but plenty of output and great representation across the tonal spectrum. Sounds great IMHO! 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dean Vincent said:

What's wrong with a Fender Precision, and better made than what Fender range?

I’ve heard some folk describe the previous BB’s as being quite aggressive and not Fender-like at all but equally as bloated and not traditional. These current iterations have been described as ‘weak’ but then also as more vintage and organic as mentioned above.

I suppose it is the internet so...

Edited by krispn

10 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

What's wrong with a Fender Precision, and better made than what Fender range?

Oh no - it’s a can of worms again - run for the hills!!!!!!

In the last week or so Sadowsky and Ashdown are getting planned for such an accusation, is no company safe....?!

Edited by Cuzzie

10 hours ago, Dean Vincent said:

Are you agreeing with me that they do sound very similar?

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing. I asked what was wrong with it. 

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

Oh no - it’s a can of worms again - run for the hills!!!!!!

In the last week or so Sadowsky and Ashdown are getting planned for such an accusation, is no company safe....?!

Nope, just asking why he said what he said, then we can get an idea of what he is looking for. Is it the tone, the shape, etc.

I'm also wondering what price point he thinks they are better made than Fenders. He made a statement, I was just asking that's  all. Ive not found my 2 Yamahas to be any better than my Fender.

Edited by dave_bass5

10 hours ago, krispn said:

I’ve heard some folk describe the previous BB’s as being quite aggressive and not Fender-like at all but equally as bloated and not traditional. These current iterations have been described as ‘weak’ but then also as more vintage and organic as mentioned above.

I suppose it is the internet so...

That's it in a nutshell I think. I used the word wrong in my original post to try and generate discussion but I realise we're actually talking about preferences. If however most people in most audiences prefer one tone to the other then I believe that matters. I don't have that information but it suggests to me the new tone is preferable to the mainstream majority firstly because I think Yamaha will have done their research and secondly because that tone hasn't done Fender any harm. Thanks everyone who has given constructive input.

I'm not getting into any pointless debates but I think it's clear from my original post what my own opinion is, but I also made it clear in that post that's what it sounds like to me, not that's what it sounds like full stop.

Edited by Dean Vincent