Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

Well another update, the BB734 is incredible.

Pretty much just using it in passive mode currently as active seems like a waste of battery when I’m using it flat anyways. It’s nice to have an active preamp that sounds identical when flat to when bypassed too.

Action isn’t quite as low as I’d like it but still pretty good, better than my Schecter P4. Fret work is great and I actually don’t mind the fretboard radius despise all my other basses being very flat in comparison.

While the painted neck feels great I’m still not onboard with the look but gonna give it some time before I make a rash decision.

Very happy overall, just wish I’d got one sooner and saved myself some time and money!

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, MrDinsdale said:

Pretty much just using it in passive mode currently as active seems like a waste of battery when I’m using it flat anyways. It’s nice to have an active preamp that sounds identical when flat to when bypassed too.

Action isn’t quite as low as I’d like it but still pretty good, better than my Schecter P4. Fret work is great and I actually don’t mind the fretboard radius despise all my other basses being very flat in comparison.

While the painted neck feels great I’m still not onboard with the look but gonna give it some time before I make a rash decision.

Very happy overall, just wish I’d got one sooner and saved myself some time and money!

The battery will likely drain whether or not you're actually using active mode, unless Yamaha have been super clever about it.  To actually electrically switch on/off the preamp, you'd need to buffer against thumps and pops coming through the amp, I'm willing to bet that the passive/active switch simply jumps the output of the pickups past the preamp and straight to the passive tone/jack, but does not actually turn off the preamp.  The only sure way to make sure you're not draining battery whilst in passive mode is to remove the battery.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

The battery will likely drain whether or not you're actually using active mode, unless Yamaha have been super clever about it.  To actually electrically switch on/off the preamp, you'd need to buffer against thumps and pops coming through the amp, I'm willing to bet that the passive/active switch simply jumps the output of the pickups past the preamp and straight to the passive tone/jack, but does not actually turn off the preamp.  The only sure way to make sure you're not draining battery whilst in passive mode is to remove the battery.

Ahh ok that makes sense, I guess more accurate would be that it saves me the hassle of charging batteries in that case!

Good to know, tbh it’s kind of handy having it there as a kill switch with a dead battery in like how I got it 😂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

If you're only using the 734A in passive mode, maybe worth also having a think about a 1024, which is purely passive and a bass that a lot of us have loved on here and its 5 string sibling, the 1025.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

If you're only using the 734A in passive mode, maybe worth also having a think about a 1024, which is purely passive and a bass that a lot of us have loved on here and its 5 string sibling, the 1025.

I was looking at the 1024/1024x there weren't any in the area and as superficial as it seems I really like the fretboard markers on the 734 😂

10 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

This is not helping my G.A.S.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

I'm with you on The BB734 . Mine was not getting the playtime it deserved since I got a 5 string Sire P5R for a few tunes we play . BB is now back strung BEAD with Roto 77s . It will be back as my #1...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I like the use of the word "also" in the opening sentence. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Chunkier neck profile but overall classier with very special pickups. 

Also the BB414 which I personally prefer over the BB734 as a passive p/j.  Similar slim neck profile.

They’re all great, though. 

• Like 2

Which BB pickups have the most top end/treble? Is it the blade ones or a different setup?

734A most definitely sounds vintage (ala Fender) voiced to me, which is not a bad thing to me as i love the classic Fender P 1962 tone.

If i wanted another BB with more top end what would I go for?

(Just interested in BB models at the mo...i appreciate that I can change pickups as its a standard route)

• Like 1

On 30/10/2023 at 17:02, MrDinsdale said:

I’ve always loved the look of the 734a, the matte black, the shape of the inlays and the design on the headstock.

I’m currently playing in a pretty noisy rock band at the mo, mostly with pick. I love the tone of my Schecter J bass but just really struggle getting the action where I want it compared to my bass with a multi laminate neck. Hoping the 734 fairs a little better in this regard.

How have people found the neck/action?

My band’s guitarist is a decent guitar tech and got the action low on my 734A without buzzing. For some reason I just can’t set up my basses quite as well as he can. I love the bass and keep returning to it. Must say I prefer the tone since I replaced the neck pickup with a Fender Vintage 63. I never use the bridge pickup.

It’s definitely a bass I’ll keep for the rest of my life.

My lovely BB734 has been sitting mostly idle since the purchase of a Sire P5R 5 string that was required for a few songs . Whilst the Sire is a fine instrument , I love my BB . It is now back . Strung BEAD  with Roto 77s to get the low C and D . It is magnificent . Played at a rehersal tonight through a TC BQ250 with a 112 cab . Everything that was required and a bit more besides . Back to my no1 .

8 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

I saw that last night.

I genuinely don't play enough to justify the 3 basses I currently have - but that is a very good price. Happy to collect if someone else wants it though!

What makes you think I play enough to justify the 8 basses I currently have? ;)

Also, justify?  Does not compute...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, MrDinsdale said:

I can’t justify that only 1 out of my 4 basses is a Yamaha BB…

I did see a pretty nice white 1024x on Facebook 🤔

You think that's shocking?  I've owned 5 BBs and currently have none.  I don't even deserve to live, let alone post in this thread...

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Tjhooker said:

Is the price of BB's going up 🤔 ?

Yes and no. There are still bargains to be had if you keep an eye out. I’d say the newer 3 series are very keenly priced as there’s a lot of them about - with the exception of the 434 which often seems a bit overpriced to me, used. 424/5 prices are definitely creeping up. Getting close to 1024/5 prices so you may as well get one of those if you’re in the market. Same but better everything.

I do hope some BB hyperinflation happens because I have stock in BBs that I’m looking to cash out.

Edited by tom.android