Why become a member? ×

There just has NOT been enough ERB hate recently

ARGH

[quote name='dangerboy' post='312817' date='Oct 23 2008, 11:43 AM']I think it stands for Egomaniac's Re-imagined Bass. I think.[/quote]
Entirely Redundant Bass?

I too can´t help thinking that the stuff in the vids would sound so much better on a piano or a *gasp!* guitar.
Then again, the compositions are not too brilliant either... JM2C.

Oh, I totally love the privet/banjo quote. :)

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='312858' date='Oct 23 2008, 11:44 AM']Still waiting.......[/quote]If you wait long enough, three ERBs will come along at once. Presumably making them [b]E[/b]vidently [b]R[/b]eal [b]B[/b]uses?

I haven't liked any music I've heard on these things, but its of real no surprise. I detest the majority of music. Given that so few mucians play them, the chance of me hearing ERB music I like is very, very slim.

Be interesting to see if all bass players traded in their 4/5's in for 8/9/10/11's what the output would be?

No doubt there would be some jazz w***ery, but there could be some good stuff? Who knows? Some of us (me included) would stick to only using 4 strings and moaning about the weight and string spacing, other would probably learn to love it.

Usually, in these threads, someone says "but it's not a bass" or "why not buy a guitar?". I never understand this really. I couldn't give a sh*t what its called or what instrument it is. Call it what you like.

Personally, I see more interest in having a go on one of these than playing a 5 string (which I hate with a passion). If you're gonna push the boundaries, do it to the extreme.

[quote name='birdy' post='312737' date='Oct 23 2008, 09:01 AM']How do you define better? Would The Beatles have been 'better' or sold more records if Macca has played a 12 string?[/quote]

The Beatles actually split up because John wouldn't let Paul have his 11-string bass cover of the Super Mario theme as the opening track on Abbey Road.

I personally have enough problems dealing with a 6 string. For me the biggest difference between a 5 and a 6 is that the 6 sits on my body in such a way that its difficult to see the fingerboard. So a lot of the note choice for me relies on muscle memory - effectively I'm playing blind! I can't even begin to imagine the confusion that a 7 or 9 string would cause me.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='312951' date='Oct 23 2008, 01:31 PM']I personally have enough problems dealing with a 6 string. For me the biggest difference between a 5 and a 6 is that the 6 sits on my body in such a way that its difficult to see the fingerboard. So a lot of the note choice for me relies on muscle memory - effectively I'm playing blind! I can't even begin to imagine the confusion that a 7 or 9 string would cause me.[/quote]

Most reading musicians on most instruments do so without looking at the instrument they are playing and, as such, are reliant upon muscle memory so this is not a credible argument against ERBs. My argument is that the physical demands of the wide neck militates against the effective execution of much that would warrant the effort. My earlier 'I am still waiting' comment relates to a previously expressed willingness to accept the potential of these instruments but I have yet to hear anything played on an ERB that I would consider sufficiently beautiful enough to justify the effort and expense of their production. The day I hear something that moves me (rather than impresses me), I will salute the ERB as an instrument that has come of age. Until then, I consider it to be nothing more than a curiosity.

Edited by bilbo230763

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='313012' date='Oct 23 2008, 02:48 PM']Most reading musicians on most instruments do so without looking at the instrument they are playing and, as such, are reliant upon muscle memory so this is not a credible argument against ERBs. My argument is that the physical demands of the wide neck militates against the effective execution of much that would warrant the effort. My earlier 'I am still waiting' comment relates to a previously expressed willingness to accept the potential of these instruments but I have yet to hear anything played on an ERB that I would consider sufficiently beautiful enough to justify the effort and expense of their production. The day I hear something that moves me (rather than impresses me), I will salute the ERB as an instrument that has come of age. Until then, I consider it to be nothing more than a curiosity.[/quote]

Bilbo, I'll have to post a link or some of my playing for you. It's not just technically brilliant, but can move mountains.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='313012' date='Oct 23 2008, 02:48 PM']Most reading musicians on most instruments do so without looking at the instrument they are playing and, as such, are reliant upon muscle memory so this is not a credible argument against ERBs.[/quote]
Wasn't supposed to be matey :) Where did you get that idea from? I was just mentioning my own problems with 6 strings and giving respect for anyone who can get around on any bass with more than 5 strings without tripping over their fingers or losing their place.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='313049' date='Oct 23 2008, 03:56 PM']Try practising in the dark :huh:

Or whilst wearing varifocals :huh: :huh: :unsure:

You'll soon figure it out![/quote]
We have the situation in hand, so to speak. Still have my good days and my bad days but the 6 permits a lot more freedom than the 5 overall. Its a little bit decadent in some ways. :)

The Beatles were just a band.
If you cant play a 6 ..you suck
If you play headless ....you're gay
If you have expensive woods on your Bass,You are a prick
2 octave fingerboards are a waste of wood
Bassplaying is shutting up and rootnotes.
All Bassists are failed guitarists.

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='ARGH' post='313142' date='Oct 23 2008, 05:37 PM']The Beatles were just a band.
If you cant play a 6 ..you suck
If you play headless ....you're gay
If you have expensive woods on your Bass,You are a prick
2 octave fingerboards are a waste of wood
Bassplaying is shutting up and rootnotes.
All Bassists are failed guitarists.[/quote]

Nah, it's the other way around...all guitarists are failed bassists...surley?

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='313200' date='Oct 23 2008, 06:48 PM']Jean Baudin looked as bored playing as I was listening :huh:[/quote]

+1

Hey JLP...
Your Avatar Rocks man... :)
:huh: :huh:

Definition of perfect pitch..?
Throw a Banjo down a well,
And hope it dont hit the sides.!

Garry