Why become a member? ×

1953/1959 Precision Basses

Cabal

Look at these:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1953-Fender-Precision-Bass-Ser-1374-Vintage-beauty_W0QQitemZ220296222428QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220296222428&_trkparms=72%3A1298|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1953-Fender-Precisio...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url]

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Original-Vintage-1959-Fender-Precision-Bass-Guitar_W0QQitemZ360093601152QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item360093601152&_trkparms=72%3A1298|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Original-Vintage-195...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url]

Edited by Jake_M

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='311708' date='Oct 22 2008, 12:52 AM']I can't comment but the [b]Questions and Answers[/b] is quite a read. :)[/quote]
I didn't even notice. Classic!

Everybody, you HAVE to read the Q&A for the 1959 listing. :huh:

Edited by Jake_M

The bizarre thing is that I have very little knowledge of, and even less interest in, vintage Fender basses but even I could see at a glance that his bass isn't even vaguely close to being original.

The anodised gold scratchplate just looks wrong, wrong, wrong and the neck and body obviously come from different instruments that have had very different histories.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='311772' date='Oct 22 2008, 08:38 AM']The bizarre thing is that I have very little knowledge of, and even less interest in, vintage Fender basses but even I could see at a glance that his bass isn't even vaguely close to being original.

The anodised gold scratchplate just looks wrong, wrong, wrong and the neck and body obviously come from different instruments that have had very different histories.[/quote]

How did you deduce all that from the photos?

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='311742' date='Oct 22 2008, 07:39 AM']Tune-o-matic... he's renowned for it.

His definition of '100% original' is quite often different to what the likes of you or I would think.[/quote]

Did that bloke from Burton on Trent ever get anywhere with his crusade about the dodgy Candy Apple Red Jazz?

Mart.

Oh dear. Typical Tune_O_Matic stuff. What an arse.

[quote name='Trace_n_bass' post='311731' date='Oct 22 2008, 07:22 AM']Also I love the certificate for outstanding professionalism! Methinks if ebay get hold of his comments that certificate may be his last![/quote]

Wouldn't that be good. Unfortunately I think he makes too much money for them to actually do the right thing for a change.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='311774' date='Oct 22 2008, 08:42 AM']How did you deduce all that from the photos?[/quote]

Anodised scratchplate:

Look at photos #1 and #5. That body has all the signs of wear that you'd expect after 49 years, the pickup covers are scuffed, the finger-rest screws are corroded. Meanwhile, the scratchplate appears to be completely unmarked, and is held in place by 10 shiny new screws.

Could the scratchplate have been in place for 49 years? Yup, it's certainly [i]possible[/i]. It's also [i]possible[/i] that I'm a space alien from the Planet Zog.

Body [discontinuity] neck:

Look at photos #3 and #4. That's the sort of condition that headstocks on my basses have (including several Hofners from 1956-64) because they have been looked after for c.50 years by careful owners, haven't been carelessly leant against walls or speakers and allowed to fall over, haven't been bashed against mic-stands or whatever.

Now look at photos #15 and #16. I have no basses whose bodies have been mis-treated so atrociously. That appears to be a bass whose owner(s) routinely dropped it on the floor when they'd finished playing, and certainly couldn't even [b]spell[/b] "guitar stand" let alone [b]use[/b] one.

Could the neck and the body have had the same owner(s) for 49 years? See my previous response.

Conclusion?

Sorry, I haven't got time to write one ... there's a Shuttle just leaving for my home planet.

:)

Edited for unbelievable mistake in my arithmetic. Oops.

Edited by Happy Jack

Look closer at the pickguard. It's scuffed and worn all over. They're very resilient though, so you have to look closely.

As for the neck... yep, the headstock is clean but the back of the neck is worn. It could be that - believe it or no - the headstock has never been dinged.

I'm not saying it IS original - this is T-O-M we're talking about after all, but.. those photos are inconclusive. You have to hold something like this in your hands to make the most accurate judgement possible.

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='311996' date='Oct 22 2008, 12:51 PM']You have to hold something like this in your hands to make the most accurate judgement possible.[/quote]

If I give you my address, will you send me a ticket to LA? For long-haul, I normally insist on Club Class.

:)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='312002' date='Oct 22 2008, 01:03 PM']If I give you my address, will you send me a ticket to LA? For long-haul, I normally insist on Club Class.

:)[/quote]
Remember to take your driving gloves with you. :huh:

Actually he probably does have one. I hope it's not [url="http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/2/2007_Lamborghini_Murcielago_on_fire.jpg"]this[/url] one....... NOT! :huh:

That Q&A is the funniest thing I've read for a while. Nice bass, but I'd expect more wear on a bass that's been played for 49 years, which probably means that it's not a very good one (or not what the seller claims interms of originality or age).

Here's what 43 years of playing looks like on a great bass (IMHO)

Not all original though.

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='311996' date='Oct 22 2008, 12:51 PM']Look closer at the pickguard. It's scuffed and worn all over. They're very resilient though, so you have to look closely.

As for the neck... yep, the headstock is clean but the back of the neck is worn. It could be that - believe it or no - the headstock has never been dinged.

I'm not saying it IS original - this is T-O-M we're talking about after all, but.. those photos are inconclusive. You have to hold something like this in your hands to make the most accurate judgement possible.[/quote]

I know next to nothing about vintage Fenders, but I do notice in pic 9 (?), the pic of the neck pocket, the shape of the patches where the paint has come away match the shapes on the neck, if that makes sense-ie. when the neck was taken off, some off the paint has come away from the neck pocket, remained adhering to the neck, and the shapes of the patches of paint on the neck match those in the pocket. This suggests to me that the neck and body have been bolted together for quite some time. Dunno if that's significant but I thought I'd bring it up.

Nice to see Tune-O-Matic is consistent. Here is the Q&A for a vintage Telecaster listing he has on eBay:
"Q: Dude, You are living in 2006. The prices you have are insane. We are heading back to 2000 prices where they should have stayed with 1-5% increases. You made some good coin over the two years of insanity now put them under the bed and buy cars or something !!! 09-Oct-08

A: Thanks for your expert opinion. Last time I checked you were not living in any of the houses next to me on my street in Bel Air = I know vintage guitar prices and values a little better than you and I still make good coin even today! If you only knew how much money I made this October ALONE (and we're ONLY 9 days deep into Oct.) you'd wanna jump off the tallest building you'll be able to find... So, keep to your own crappy business and keep the venting for you therapist's office please."

There is only one word for this guy and its unprintable on this family Forum :)

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='312454' date='Oct 22 2008, 08:04 PM']A: Thanks for your expert opinion. Last time I checked you were not living in any of the houses next to me on my street in Bel Air = I know vintage guitar prices and values a little better than you and I still make good coin even today! If you only knew how much money I made this October ALONE (and we're ONLY 9 days deep into Oct.) you'd wanna jump off the tallest building you'll be able to find... So, keep to your own crappy business and keep the venting for you therapist's office please."[/quote]
I hope the IRS don't read his auctions. :)