Why become a member? ×

1953/1959 Precision Basses

Cabal

Well, he's only had 3 sales in Oct under that seller name. Looking over the last few months, seems he mostly ships VOS Les Paul's abroad, and some overpriced 70's tat.

Suspect he's not doing quite as well as he makes out, which might explain his protestations to the contrary. Given most of his insults are to do with being poor and living in a dump, suspect that's the thing that frightens [i]him[/i] most, however rich he is. Perhaps we should just pity him.

OTOH he's still a t8sser. So let's go tw*t him and rob him, the big baby.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='313488' date='Oct 24 2008, 01:50 AM']Given most of his insults are to do with being poor and living in a dump, suspect that's the thing that frightens [i]him[/i] most, however rich he is.[/quote]

If I was one of those awful people who mis-applies cod psychology to complete strangers on the basis of completely inadequate evidence, which of course I would never do :brow: , then I'd guess that he's already poor and living in a dump ("[i]living in a cardboard dump[/i]").

His postings have all the signs of someone living in fantasy land, and not a particularly bright someone at that. I suspect that he's treating eBay as a VR world where he's rich and successful, knows more than all the other guitar dealers, and can be aggressive and macho without getting sand kicked in his face.

Sad, irritating and amusing all at the same time. And let's face it, he's hardly the only one out there.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='313538' date='Oct 24 2008, 08:59 AM']If I was one of those awful people who mis-applies cod psychology to complete strangers on the basis of completely inadequate evidence[/quote]

I never said he was a cod. :) But, in the absence of any specific leverage, people [i]always[/i] insult or threaten you with the thing they fear most. Logical, innit.

Anyhow, I don't care 'cos my attorney can prove I've made more in the last 5 seconds than everyone in the history of the planet while you're all rotting there with your welfare line parents, naked in a septic tank in a filthy basement in the middle of a toxic lake while I glide around Sherman Oaks in my $350,000 Lamborghini Twatinello and you couldn't afford the bit of thread hanging from the lapel of my Mr Nudie suit, even if you sold your family to Homie pimps [i]and[/i] all your pathetic possessions [i]and[/i] the piece of rotting plywood you call an Alembic, you loser morons. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

I like the fact that living in Bel Air makes him more knowledgeable about vintage guitars, apparently.

If I lived in Bel Air with a ridiculous car I would still know as much as I do now about vintage Fenders ie. not a lot. Dont see what difference the location makes, people giving him loads of money for guitars does not necessarily make them the real deal. However, he doesnt appear to have many auctions pulled, and he has got A LOT of positive feedback...

...the comments below that P-bass are just genius... lol - needed a laugh

Edited by Stag

Now, I dont know much about this Tone_O-Matic person but i'd far rather buy this - one year younger - for less than half the price. This also would fit well in the "whats special about old basses" thread on the general forum. Lovely piece with proper wear and tear...

[url="http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/web/our-catalogue/Fender/Electric-Basses/item/3966"]http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/web/o...asses/item/3966[/url]

• 6 months later...

And on the subject of '53 Fenders...

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1953-Fender-Precision-Bass-vintage_W0QQitemZ270387429954QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item270387429954&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1953-Fender-Precisio...93%3A1|294%3A50[/url]

hmmm. 0 feedback? :)

That one's been on there before. It looks very clean except for the bridge which does look old. The older ones had compressed fibre saddles which this one looks to have.

He says that it has been looked after but basses at that time would've had bakelite scratchplates which all disintegrated after a while. I would have to say that this also looks like a refin with the original screw holes for the bridge cover filled prior to this.

There may be variations but normally the ones I have seen have the string retainer a lot closer to the F of the Fender logo.

I'm not trying to say that this is not original but for the kind of money this would be worth if original, I would be going into a lot more detail about the bass or trying to find someone who could tell me more about it as most people, even non-musicians, know that old Fenders are worth a fortune.

Much as I hate to see it done, the best way to accurately date this bass would be to see the date on the heel of the neck and any other markings. The stackpole pots didn't come stamped with dates until late 1958 so we can't date it from those.

The scratchplate doesn't have any holes for the tugbar. I'm pretty sure that a 1953 would still have only 1 screw hole for the wooden rest.

I'm also pretty sure that the string ferrules on the back sat proud of the body and the later reissues from the late 60s such as the Telecaster had flush fitted ones.

Yes, I do need to get out more :)

Edited by Delberthot