Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

An Impossible Dream?

SpondonBassed

I have just put together a list of features that I would like if I was to order a custom build from scratch. If there is a more appropriate place in BC to post this, please let me know.

My first ever custom build would be;[list]
[*]Fretless (4 or 5)
[*]Metalflake gold body
[*]Composite neck using gold coloured resin (perhaps)
[*]White enamelled hardware
[*]Fingerboard in solid white finished metal, pinstripe outline lined in blue (no fretlines)
[*]Active J and P configuration, blue pick-ups
[*]Onboard FM
[*]Onboard tuner with mute toggle switch
[*]Blue LED side dots (small dots for every fret position between the larger dots as per convention)
[*]Black nylon flats.
[/list]
25-2-17. Edited out Ti and changed "fretboard" to fingerboard, added that pick-ups are to be blue.

[i][color=#000080]I'm putting that idea out to tender for estimates if anyone's interested? AndyJR or Jabba the Hut spring to mind but I am sure that other luthiers [/color][/i][i][color=#000080]or [/color][/i][i][color=#000080]builders [/color][/i][i][color=#000080]are reading. If so and if interested, please PM me for discussion about it and how much it might cost.[/color][/i]

Edited by SpondonBassed

[url=http://www.lefay.de/english/bass_remingtonsteele.html]LeFay do a steel fingerboard[/url] and [url=http://www.vigierguitars.com/page/fiche_produit.php?id_prod=244]Vigier[/url] have their Imetal.

Also Andreas guitars used to make guitars and basses with an aluminium fingerboard. Here's a photo of my Andreas Black Shark guitar:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Bass/AndreasBlackShark.jpg[/IMG]

So it's by no means impossible.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1488021390' post='3245071']
A titanium fretboard might be a bit of a challenge :)
[/quote]

Indeed.

I chose titanium as a base metal because I've worked with it before. I chose on the basis of lightness and stiffness but I don't know how it would be with enamel adhesion. Machining it can be tricky too. All my enamelling experience is with copper and mild steel.

I think the trick would be in getting an enamel-receptive finger board that is thick enough not to distort yet light enough as to cause no neck dive or strap rash.

Also, titanium is non magnetic.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1488030111' post='3245171']
An interesting challenge, have you considered anodizing the fingerboard rather than enamel. Less susceptible to chips? With a thick (10mm +) Ti fingerboard would a composite neck be necessary (I realise is desirable).
[/quote]

Not yet.

The enamel is a particular feature that I'd like to try. I might have a look around later to see if there is any precedent. It might turn out to be a bad idea though in which case your idea may work better.

Can you get a pure white anodised finish?

The composite neck would be where I might have "wiggle room" to mass balance the instrument. So it's negotiable.

I don't think the fingerboard needs to be more than about 2mm thick. Getting a reliable bonding process may prove difficult due to differential expansion and contraction. It'd have to stand a cold soak in the boot of a vehicle on occasion followed by a rapid warm up (in some of the sweatier venues) else it would be more ornament than tool.

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1488020379' post='3245057']
If this is serious and you have serious money to spend, I'm pretty certain that Simon Farmer of [url="http://www.gusguitars.com"]Gus Guitars[/url] would be able to make you a Gus G3 to that spec.
[/quote]

I kind of like the way these guitars get away from the old school thinking that you have to see wood somewhere on the instrument to make it look less of a toy. For me, this [b]is[/b] a toy. Note I didn't call it an adult toy but essentially, that's what we're talking about with instruments really. They're just play things at the end of it all.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1488021923' post='3245079']
[url="http://www.lefay.de/english/bass_remingtonsteele.html"]LeFay do a steel fingerboard[/url] and [url="http://www.vigierguitars.com/page/fiche_produit.php?id_prod=244"]Vigier[/url] have their Imetal.

Also Andreas guitars used to make guitars and basses with an aluminium fingerboard. Here's a photo of my Andreas Black Shark guitar:

So it's by no means impossible.
[/quote]

That's nice. Do you use it a lot?

Like everything, if you're prepared to throw enough money at something, somebody out there will be willing to take it off you. Whether you get VFM or a playable instrument (after all that is what you're paying for) is a different matter.

I'm currently talking to Andy about my next project with him, which again, is a bit of a dream but if it comes off will be well worth it.

My advice, make your dreams SMART:[list]
[*][b]S[/b]pecific
[*][b]M[/b]easurable
[*][b]A[/b]chievable
[*][b]R[/b]ealistic
[*][b]T[/b]imebound (not necessarily in this case)
[/list]

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1488039542' post='3245315']
Like everything, if you're prepared to throw enough money at something, somebody out there will be willing to take it off you. Whether you get VFM or a playable instrument (after all that is what you're paying for) is a different matter.

I'm currently talking to Andy about my next project with him, which again, is a bit of a dream but if it comes off will be well worth it.

My advice, make your dreams SMART:[list]
[*][b]S[/b]pecific
[*][b]M[/b]easurable
[*][b]A[/b]chievable
[*][b]R[/b]ealistic
[*][b]T[/b]imebound (not necessarily in this case)
[/list]
[/quote]

Cheers my friend. I have to say that none of the criteria above strike me as being applicable to a dream. They make for a good plan however so thanks. This thread is helping me to refine my ideas already and it isn't even six hours old yet!

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1488038593' post='3245303']
That's nice. Do you use it a lot?
[/quote]

It was a fantastic playing and sounding instrument (as well as looking more than a bit unusual) in a HSS Strat vibe. Unfortunately it wasn't getting anywhere near as much use as my Gus G1, FretKing Esprit V or Hallmark WingBat so I sold it about a year ago.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1488038515' post='3245301']
I kind of like the way these guitars get away from the old school thinking that you have to see wood somewhere on the instrument to make it look less of a toy. For me, this [b]is[/b] a toy. Note I didn't call it an adult toy but essentially, that's what we're talking about with instruments really. They're just play things at the end of it all.
[/quote]

So if you are serious about your specification, then you should at least make an enquiry. He's already made an all-gold G1 guitar with a coloured carbon fibre fingerboard:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/image_zpsliejblgm.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1488044714' post='3245387']
So if you are serious about your specification, then you should at least make an enquiry. He's already made an all-gold G1 guitar with a coloured carbon fibre fingerboard:
[/quote]

No pressure then. Heeheehee. I'd very much like to but I'll wait 'till I've given this topic plenty of time to get responses from the 'hood as it were. By then, I'll have given it due consideration and (maybe) condensed my wish list to a set of things that are of real use on stage.

As it is, I only started to think semi-seriously today.

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1488034260' post='3245230']
As I visualise the instrument I'm imagining something very Ritter like!
[/quote]
[attachment=239081:RitterCora.png]

In some respects yes. I can't give you the image that is in my mind but ideally it wouldn't be too far from the Cora in appearance if you transpose the gold with the white. Oh and I think I'd like the pups in blue as well.

Edited by SpondonBassed

Although I play a very traditional looking instrument I do love different, and this sounds like a great project. One worry though, is the sound of strings on a metallic fretless fingerboard - could be quite noisy.

Good luck getting this off the ground, and keep as all informed if the dream starts to take shape!

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1488020072' post='3245051'][list]
[*]Metalflake gold body
[/list]
[/quote]

YEEEEESSSSSSSS!

Don't get me wrong, the other stuff is all well and good but metalflake is proper lush. Tell me it will have a matching headstock! Please!

I've been looking at Basslab instruments for a while now. http://basslab.de
They build using their own recipe "tuneable composite" materials layered over a form which is later removed, leaving a hollow body (and neck!). They use automotive paint and lacquers even on fretless basses, where the fretboard is also often painted.