Why become a member? ×

Distortions

Finbar

Okay, I posted something before about a lot of different pedals, and got no response, so maybe I was being too broad. So here's something more specific.

I'm looking for 2 distortion sounds, but have no idea how to get them. Hoping one or two of you could suggest a couple of options :)

Basically, I play a 7 string bass (usually - but not always - with a pick) through a Marshall 400W valve head. Because of the differences between the sound of playing 'rhythm' parts on the E/A strings, and more 'lead' parts or chords on the on G, C and F strings, I think I really need to be looking at two different sounds.

So for a lead sound, would a guitar pedal be a better option for me, and if so - any suggestions? I want something fairly high gain I think, with pretty decent sustain, but not too harsh sounding.

For a rhythm sound, I was thinking of splitting my signal before the overdrive pedal, and combining it again after it, so I get my clean tone coming through as well as the distortion, keeping some clarity and low end in it all. Is this a sound idea? Also, any pedal suggestions? I think Chris Wolstenholme has the perfect distortion sound, so anything close to this would be a bonus. I've seen his rig/pedalboard so I know I've no hope of getting that with one amp and a couple of pedals, but any ideas?

Thanks in advance guys :huh:

Hey there Finbar,
not sure about what distortions you would want. For the most part its a case of trying stuff out and seeing what works for you and your set up, but if you find you have problems keeping the low-end in your signal, Id suggest getting a FX loop pedal such as [url="http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/Products,%20Bob%20The%20Blender.html"]one of these[/url] or [url="http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/Products,%20Passive%20Dual%20Blender.htm"]one of these[/url]. Doesnt have to be either, they're just examples but they both a blend feature allowing you to choose how much of the effect, in your case distortion, is in the signal relative to your clean sound, or vice versa.
The passive dual blender by DHA is doing the rounds at the moment as a trial kinda thing so if you scout the effects threads you may be able to find the posts and see if you can get to try it out.
Thats my suggestion. Others might something more specific...
ANdy

Oh by the way, if you do check out the DHA website, have a look at the VT2 dual overdrives. They have two channels of pure valvey goodness and as the second channel is driven by the 1st, you get some very high gain sounds indeed, and both channels keep the bottom in you sound too.
Plus you get the fun of trying out different valves (as you may have done with your amp) and it keeps you signal chain valve too, which would be awesome given your set up...
Andy

Edited by MoJ

I wonder if there is a rack effect you could use - on my effects you can choose the frequency cutoff so you keep a clean bottom end for example - if you could get a distortion unit where you could choose the bands affected that would be ideal. I am not a fan of distorted bass though so don't know if there is such a unit out there...

ped

I think you're being too fussy. I suggest you just try a dual channel pedal like the T-Rex Bass Juice or the Fulltone Bass Drive, one of those might just do it for you... if not, you should just try everything you can find, like I did... I mostly stay away from guitar distortion pedals, apart from the Russian Big Muff and maybe the Expandora, can't remember one I liked on bass, though some others are popular, like the Rat... I settled on the T-Rex Bass Juice on one band and the Russian Big Muff on another...

Hope this helps...

Edited by 1976fenderhead

Im sure ill be corrected by someone more in the know but i always thought the muse sound was the result of a lot of tinkering with bass, amp and effects. So yeah, suppose its not something youre going to get exact from your own set up so just kind of run with it and try as many stompboxes as you can, youll probably come to find something (or a combination of pedals) thats right for you.

Though if you do get picky about the sound, ive always gotten along with an EQ pedal to tweak to my hearts content.

Thanks guys, I'll check some of these out :)

I don't think it's a case of being fussy though. Why is it fussy to want to get the tone you're looking for? :huh:

I used to own a Russian Big Muff though and hated it. I'll have a look into some other suggestions though ^_^

The main problem with trying things out is being able to try them through my rig without first buying them, as most shops don't stock many bass distortion pedals, and my friends round these parts don't have a wide variety of distortions either.

He used to use 2 Big Muffs I think? Along with a host of other distortions and synths. You also have to take into account his bass, his amp and all his settings. He also bi-amps, keeping a clean channel as well as distortion. It's not so simple to just get Chris' tone by using just a Big Muff. And to be honest, I wouldn't want to copy it, but something in that kind of ball park would be fantastic, obviously :)

lol yeah obviously without going all out on there lol. if you want to mix your clean and distorted channel into one amp then get an a/b/y blender. theres one for sale on here in the effects part i think. i personally love the muff's distorted/fuzz sound, but if thats not your thing then maybe the boss ODB-3 might be of some use? flea uses it and you can get quite a lot of different sounds out of it. but probably the best way is to go to your nearest big guitar store and just test out all the distortions there lol.
The original marshall guv'nor (the black one) i also like too, Timmy c used it in rage's earlier stuff so you can hear it on there.

cheers, Nick

[quote name='Finbar' post='32788' date='Jul 16 2007, 11:48 PM']He used to use 2 Big Muffs I think? Along with a host of other distortions and synths. You also have to take into account his bass, his amp and all his settings. He also bi-amps, keeping a clean channel as well as distortion. It's not so simple to just get Chris' tone by using just a Big Muff. And to be honest, I wouldn't want to copy it, but something in that kind of ball park would be fantastic, obviously :)[/quote]

chris does not use to big muffs

he almost never uses his big muff, its all about the animato

I'll just take this chance to say that I own an animato and it does a pretty good muse-esque sound but it does need to be blended with a clean signal for best results. It's undoubtedly the key to Chris' sound.

For just a breaking up / driven amp grind I love my ODB3 (lots of people dont, they say it kinda fizzes) and a little Big muff for OTT and Muse like fuzz but with a LS2 line selector to blend in some clean bass to keep bottom end. Hey works for me but the best ever for me was a splitter box one side a clean HH Bass machine 250 into an 8x10 and the other side a driven Marshall Bass 50 head and 4x12 with a Coloursound tonebender serious noise :huh: :huh: :) At the end of the day you gotta try as many as you can.

Been thinking of trying Ashdowns overdirve pedal it's had good reviews

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='BassManKev' post='33022' date='Jul 17 2007, 01:29 PM']chris does not use to big muffs

he almost never uses his big muff, its all about the animato[/quote]

Im perfectly sure that, for atleast the recording of hysteria, check the studio footage with some copies of the absolution album, that along with is AKAI deep impact pedal he does use TWO russian big muffs.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='33022' date='Jul 17 2007, 01:29 PM']chris does not use to big muffs

he almost never uses his big muff, its all about the animato[/quote]

I've seen plenty of pics that show he clearly does/did use Big Muffs as well as the Animato.

It's also widely regarded as fact that, that track is 2 big muffs playing along with a synth line.

If you stack any 2 decent distortion/fuzz pedals together you can nail the muse sorta sound as you lose a lot of your attack and it becomes much more synth sounding just gotta know how to deal with the feedback you'll get.

• 2 weeks later...

I use the EBS MultiDrive. It's got a 3-way toggle that select the type of distortion. "Standard" type supposedly only applies effect on the upper frequencies, leaving the bottom end untouched, "flat" effects the whole frequency band so presumably you might loose the bottom end but gain a "fuzz" effect. The last is a tube sound to add gentle overdrive and valvey harmonics.

Might be what you're after.

TBH, I'm not having a lot of luck with this pedal. Soloed, it sounds good but in a band setting it just sounds muffled and just doesn't cut through, even though when soloed, the apparent volume is much louder. Perhaps I should turn it's "volume" right up, even though it will alarm the rest of the band if they hear it soloed, thinking I'll drown everyone out.

I've actually been looking at some of the DHA pedals today. Not sure if one of them will do both the Overdrive and Distortion sounds I'm looking for, thinking about it. Any experience with these? Might still want to try and blend this with my clean tone though.