Why become a member? ×

gig tips - session tips

Shonks

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1487152407' post='3237470']
For me, getting the details right is just as important. In fact if your band does have an "image" the wrong details will be much more noticeable and detract from the overall picture.
[/quote]

I don't know. I wear dark blue trainers sometimes instead of black. I'm behind the drum kit, and they're basically black from the audience POV, but I've still been chastised by other band members for it. Obviously they would agree with you, but I've seen photos, and you can't see my shoes let alone tell what colour they are!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1487152407' post='3237470']
...IME most mens watches are ugly over-sized random lumps of plastic and metal.
[/quote]

I totally agree on that!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1487154407' post='3237508']
And the only photo of a Kiss member wearing a watch ON STAGE, it appears to be hidden under a wrist band.

And it's the drummer, who IME always seem to be uncooperative and unconcerned when it comes to getting the band image right.
[/quote]
I proved you wrong and now you are bending the rules to suit!

Was Pete Best kicked out for wearing a watch but an entirely different story was fabricated?

Edited by EBS_freak

on the subject of clip on tuners, totally useless when your drummer won't shut the f*** up, so an FX pedal with one built would be essential if anybody could notice when a bass is a bit out of tune, I never can, on the subject of wristwatches (how bizarre to even argue about them) essential when playing a pub gig with a strict curfew, you may know how long songs last but I haven't got a clue how long our singer is going to prattle on for or how long the drummer is going to spend messing about with his kick drum pedal or hi hat clutch or how long the guitarist is going spend tuning up or swapping guitars when he's broke a string (or even restarting a song because of it), on one occasion when we forgot to check the time we didn't even have time for our curtain call of Nellie the Elephant, what a disastrous gig that was.
I do agree it needs to be worn on the fretting wrist after I scratched a near perfect Stingray with my metal strapped watch

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1487156724' post='3237548']
I do agree it needs to be worn on the fretting wrist after I scratched a near perfect Stingray with my metal strapped watch
[/quote]
I bet you looked like a right weapon wearing that watch on stage. What were you thinking?

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1487157336' post='3237561']
Ah - going by your avatar, you play your bass the wrong way around anyway :P Easy to make a watch mistake doing that!
[/quote]Ah you noticed, took me ages to get used to wearing my watch on the 'wrong' wrist after the Stingray incident, in fact on one occasion I spent 10 minutes look for my watch before realising I'd regressed to putting on my 'right' wrist, which is actually my left wrist, my brain hurts I'm going for a lie down

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1487158134' post='3237574']
Look at this idiot.

I do like the way the photographer had a little joke by "framing" it with the girls arm.
[/quote]pratt, look at the state of his bass, he must have been wearing his watch on the wrong wrist for ages to cause that much damage

I didn't people used watches at all these days. I'm sure I had one once, but not seen it for years. I use my phone, in 'flight mode' as a timer when on stage. All of our material is liable to stretch out if it going down well, so a simple song count is pointless. I usually try to position myself so I can see a clock on the wall of the venue, as the rest of the band seem incapable of telling the time and always ask me how long we've got left.

Funny what people will find to argue about.

My position on the contentious points is that clip-on tuners are fine for home & studio use but completely amateur on stage; They can come off, are not as reliable if everything around you is being loud & too many people fail to mute their bass/guitars when using them.

Watches, meh. I get that if your band plays in fancy dress then a watch might not be appropriate but I can't say I've ever noticed anyones watch (or lack there of) in the hundreds of bands I've seen live. I have no idea what Big Red looks like or what their band wears but I'm really struggling to think of an example where a watch would stand out as bad, I can only think of Slipknot but then the sleeves would cover the watch anyway.

Edited by Lw.