Why become a member? ×

BRITS, Hall of Fame and all that pants

Barking Spiders

Late winter/early spring, the time of year when music industry blackslapfests kick into gear. Brits in February and R n R HoF in April. I don't think I'm wrong but I always thought the spirit of rock n roll was about rebellion and non-conformity yet look at the HoF noms and they're about as conservative and uninspiring as you can get, especially when the HoF talks of 'class of 2017 inductees'!. How Establishment is that?! So, who are they..Journey, ELO, Yes, Pearl Jam, Tupac and Joan Baez. I dunno much about Joan Baez but other than for being around for a long time (Tupac excepted) what have they done that merits inclusion anyway? Mind you , noms in previous years have been equally baffling e.g Cheap Trick, Joan Jett, Ringo, Steve Miller, KISS FFS!!! So what's your take on all these awards given to people who are in the lucky position of being able to make a great living out of doing what they love?

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1485873618' post='3227388']
The whole Brit / Grammy award thing is all about making money on the pretext of honouring artists.

Personally I hate the idea of music awards. Best band, best album, says who (unless perhaps it's voted for by fans)? Music's not a competition.
[/quote]

I'll tell you what I know about Joan Baez.

Home alone I decided to have a bath. Fired up YouTube to listen to a Pete Seeger concert. Once that video finished the autoplay put on something related. It was awful. Sounded like a cat being strangled. Really spoiled the vibe of my relaxing bath. When I got out I looked at who it was. Joan Baez!

Imagine if they had a MOWO.[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1485873618' post='3227388']
The whole Brit / Grammy award thing is all about making money on the pretext of honouring artists.

Personally I hate the idea of music awards. Best band, best album, says who? Music's not a competition.
[/quote] No its not. But its just a vote, and doesn't mean its the best. Its just TV, everyone will watch it , go home and not be influenced by whats best on a TV award ceremony. You like what you like. You don't need an award show to tell you that. Like you said its all about money.

Just like the charts.

Do i think that a lot of artists are worthy of recognition.? Yes i do.

Edited by bubinga5

FFS. . . . why do we have such a problem in this country applauding our successes?

We have been, and might still be, amongst the world leaders in this field. I don't care how much back slapping goes on, I'm happy that we celebrate every British musician who "made it".

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1485897537' post='3227617']
FFS. . . . why do we have such a problem in this country applauding our successes?

We have been, and might still be, amongst the world leaders in this field. I don't care how much back slapping goes on, I'm happy that we celebrate every British musician who "made it".
[/quote]

Because, as I say, If people buy your records and come to your gigs that means they like you. Why do you need some panel of journalists or whatever to give you a trophy? Its meaningless. Its subjective, so what makes the trophy givers opinion more valid than the record buying fan's.?

The Brits tends to be about new music that's either entirely unlistenable or hopelessly derivative. With some coffin-dodgers thrown in to make the crowd go 'Croikey, I thought he was dead'. If one likes that sort of thing it's the sort of thing one will like.

The RnR HoF is [i]precisely[/i] about honouring established acts, many of them older than the wallpaper in one's granny's living room. To this end, one would view the inclusion of bands like:
[quote]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Journey, ELO, Yes, Pearl Jam, Tupac and Joan Baez ... Cheap Trick, Joan Jett, Ringo, Steve Miller, KISS[/font][/color]
[/quote]

as inherently germane to the nature of the event :)
[color=#ffffe0].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

Chris B. I don't buy into this national pride thing when it comes to music, partly as I'm from 2nd generation immigrant stock but mainly because I dont care where musicians are from if they make music I like. I feel no surge of pride just because Adele or Ed Sheeran have sold x million albums. Personally I think they're both distinctly mediocre. Anyway my OP was mainly about a US institution, the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame.

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1485873327' post='3227383']
Late winter/early spring, the time of year when music industry blackslapfests kick into gear. Brits in February and R n R HoF in April. I don't think I'm wrong but I always thought the spirit of rock n roll was about rebellion and non-conformity yet look at the HoF noms and they're about as conservative and uninspiring as you can get, especially when the HoF talks of 'class of 2017 inductees'!. How Establishment is that?! So, who are they..Journey, ELO, Yes, Pearl Jam, Tupac and Joan Baez. I dunno much about Joan Baez but other than for being around for a long time (Tupac excepted) what have they done that merits inclusion anyway? Mind you , noms in previous years have been equally baffling e.g Cheap Trick, Joan Jett, Ringo, Steve Miller, KISS FFS!!! So what's your take on all these awards given to people who are in the lucky position of being able to make a great living out of doing what they love?
[/quote]

Nothing wrong with Journey, well deserved, one of my favourite bands.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1485892109' post='3227590']
Never got any awards involving the Arts. Its all subjective. In music, if you have sold 10s of millions of albums and done loads of huge sell out tours would you care if you got a trophy or not? I'm sure I would not.
[/quote]

Doesn't everyone appreciate the recognition of their peers?

Why create and perform music in the first place if you're not interested in anyone else's opinion of it.

[quote name='Downdown' timestamp='1485986313' post='3228368']
Doesn't everyone appreciate the recognition of their peers?

Why create and perform music in the first place if you're not interested in anyone else's opinion of it.
[/quote]

I suppose you could say that people are expressing their opinions on your music by buying your albums. Action speaks louder than....trophies. ;)