Why become a member? ×

Drummer Wanted Ad

blue

Drummer wanted for established band (11 years) with bookings.

Must ;

1. Be able to gig twice a week more in the fair & festival season.

2. Have current gigging bar band experience.

3. Have the time, chops, and ability to learn 3 sets of arranged rock & blues material.

This is a hypothetical screening ad for a drummer.

What do you think?

Blue

Does this mean you're possibly losing your drummer Blue? Otherwise a hypothetical ad seems a strange exercise.

For the record though, stipulate own transport (assuming you travel separately) willingness to rehearse when required maybe.

Edited by leschirons

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1484502316' post='3215926']
What do you think?

Blue
[/quote]

Excellent ad. Enough information to spark interest and a desire to find out more about the job.

Therefore likely to generate the widest possible response from the largest possible number of applicants; which is always a good strategy :)

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1484505708' post='3215957']
Does this mean you're possibly losing your drummer Blue? Otherwise a hypothetical ad seems a strange exercise.

For the record though, stipulate own transport (assuming you travel separately) willingness to rehearse when required maybe.
[/quote]

Good point, however I was thinking anyone with current bar band experience would have their own transportation.

And remember these are merely screening questions.

Blue

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1484507343' post='3215965']
Why does he have to have "current" gigging experience Blue ?

I played for years, had 14 years off and just walked back into it 8 or 9 years ago.
[/quote]

Hi Les,

There's always the exception.

What can happen, and I've seen this. An older guy has been off for years, wants to get back in the game, he accepts an offer, then finds out he can't handle playing 2-3 four hour nights in a row.

If a guy has current experience in the trenches he usually knows what he can handle.

This weekend I got home at 3;00 Friday night and 2:00 last night and I'm literally wiped out.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1484505795' post='3215958']
Equipment & transport (or is that not an issue in US - amazing how many potential band members over here think they can get away with not having one or both of these)?
[/quote]

Transportation in US bar bands is a crucial issue. So you really have to question the guy whose depending on his 20 year old car to make it to all the gigs.

Good, well maintained gear is also an issue. When a guy shows up with an old untuned beat up kit with no cases with duct tape all over the place, it's usually an indicator the guy has other issues.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1484514407' post='3216060']
An older guy has been off for years, wants to get back in the game, he accepts an offer, then finds out he can't handle playing 2-3 four hour nights in a row.

Blue
[/quote]

Fair comment, we don't have that kind of playing time so I never even though about the stamina side of it when I was dragged out of retirement, and I suppose for a drummer there's a lot physical stuff going on.

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1484516095' post='3216079']

Fair comment, we don't have that kind of playing time so I never even though about the stamina side of it when I was dragged out of retirement, and I suppose for a drummer there's a lot physical stuff going on.
[/quote]

Yes, we have a few songs that are drum heavy that require high energy and above average chops.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1484514898' post='3216065']

Good, well maintained gear is also an issue. When a guy shows up with an old untuned beat up kit with no cases with duct tape all over the place, it's usually an indicator the guy has other issues.
[/quote]

Right

Because people who's gear is immaculate, dont have any issues

I wouldn't be too judgemental in determining someone has obvious problems because their gear has duct tape on it. You could be missing out on an excellent musician

As long as he doesnt have long unkempt hair. That means he will have issues

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1484523035' post='3216144']

Right

Because people who's gear is immaculate, dont have any issues

I wouldn't be too judgemental in determining someone has obvious problems because their gear has duct tape on it. You could be missing out on an excellent musician

As long as he doesnt have long unkempt hair. That means he will have issues
[/quote]

I get that guys can show up with pristine gear and can't play.

Now if a guy shows up with a raggetty kit, but can play his arse off that's a different story.

My experience with the guys that show up with the raggetty kit has been their ability was also raggetty.

Blue

if this add was in the uk it would probably be fine

in milwaukee, you want to point out that its at least 2 4 hour bar gigs a week, where you have to load your own lights and pa etc.

you could point out that you don't play standard covers like mustang sally, because that tends to turn people away.

on a more serious note, you also say that its been established for 11 years, but no mention of the fact it would be a paid gig. If i saw a band that had been together 11 years, its likely that it is either going to be a bunch of mates still just enjoying themselves or a paid gig, i'd want to know what it was before i replied.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1484502316' post='3215926']
Drummer wanted for established [b]rock&blues covers[/b] band (11 years) with [b]weekly payed[/b] bookings.

Must ;

1. Be able to gig twice a week, more in the fair & festival season.

2. Have [s]current[/s] gigging bar band experience [b]and be able to cope with up to 3hr gigs.[/b]

3. Have the time, chops, and ability to learn 3 sets of arranged rock & blues material.

[b]4. Be available to rehearse [u]x[/u] times a week for [u]x[/u] hours on [u](weekdays)[/u] in [u](rehearsall room location)[/u][/b]*.

[b]5. Have own transport and be willing to drive to gigs on a [u]x[/u] mile radius.[/b]

[b]6. Have decent quality gear. Band requirements: [u](list of needed gear)[/u].[/b]

This is a hypothetical screening ad for a drummer.

What do you think?

Blue
[/quote]

This is what i would add Blue, hope it helps.

*edited

Edited by Ghost_Bass

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1484558667' post='3216228']
if this add was in the uk it would probably be fine

in milwaukee, you want to point out that its at least 2 4 hour bar gigs a week, where you have to load your own lights and pa etc.

you could point out that you don't play standard covers like mustang sally, because that tends to turn people away.

on a more serious note, you also say that its been established for 11 years, but no mention of the fact it would be a paid gig. If i saw a band that had been together 11 years, its likely that it is either going to be a bunch of mates still just enjoying themselves or a paid gig, i'd want to know what it was before i replied.
[/quote]

In the US if your a bar and and your playing 2-3 gigs weekly it's implied they are paid gigs.

The ad does say you would need to learn 3 sets of arranged material, which means it's not a Mustang Sally or 12 bar blues progression proposition.

Blue

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1484567659' post='3216327']

This is what i would add Blue, hope it helps.

*edited
[/quote]

Not bad,

However, it would've have been, must be able to cope with playing 4 hour shows.

Keep in mind anyone in Milwaukee with current bar band experience knows all gigs are 4 hours.

I don't know if I would list a gear quality requirements because it's an area where I would make exceptions.

After a guy learns the show there wouldn't be much rehearsal required.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1484596505' post='3216712']
Not bad,

However, it would've have been, must be able to cope with playing 4 hour shows.

Keep in mind anyone in Milwaukee with current bar band experience knows all gigs are 4 hours.

I don't know if I would list a gear quality requirements because it's an area where I would make exceptions.

After a guy learns the show there wouldn't be much rehearsal required.

Blue
[/quote]

3hr gig was a average out of my head, i didn't know the duration of your gigs. Regarding the gear, i only pointed that as your band could own PA, backline, even a drum or drum mics and that wouldn't be requiered from the drummer. Or, as an example, your set list may involve some tunes that require specific accessories like maracas/congas/etc. and the drummer should own them and be able to know how to use them properly. I'm exagerating on my examples but you never know who you might find, there are some strange musicians around and i allways found the drummers to be the strangest ;)

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1484658904' post='3217225']
I like the general style - short, to the point, not too many long words ...
[/quote]

Yeah, the main thing I was stressing was if you don't have current bar band experience, don't apply.

Blue

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1484655669' post='3217177']

3hr gig was a average out of my head, i didn't know the duration of your gigs. Regarding the gear, i only pointed that as your band could own PA, backline, even a drum or drum mics and that wouldn't be requiered from the drummer. Or, as an example, your set list may involve some tunes that require specific accessories like maracas/congas/etc. and the drummer should own them and be able to know how to use them properly. I'm exagerating on my examples but you never know who you might find, there are some strange musicians around and i allways found the drummers to be the strangest ;)
[/quote]

Agreed, you never know who you might find. But how much time can you afford to spend looking.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1484514898' post='3216065']

Transportation in US bar bands is a crucial issue. So you really have to question the guy whose depending on his 20 year old car to make it to all the gigs.

Blue
[/quote]

May be worth stipulating that applicants must have good quality kit, then

I am actually looking for a drummer, and have an ad up on here. Whilst looking through Gumtree for a suitable drummer i came across a guy who was just getting back in to drummer after a few years break. Sounded ok, fairly local and seemed to know whats what. Then i noticed his ad said he had cymbals and should have the drums soon. I didnt bother contacting him.